Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emodro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
So apple is clearing out the "old" apple tv's right now at $150 on their website, i love boxee/ XBMC and the way they organize my media.
Currently I have a wd TV Live and i love that it'll play anything i throw at it, but I wish it was more organized which is why I'm super excited about the Boxee Box. Background: I stream all my media from my computer, I have a nice big collection, and it's all DRM free.
Questions:
1. Does Boxee on AppleTV have an limitations?
2. Should I wait for the boxee box and pay $200 with no HD, Wait for the ATV2.0 to be hacked but i'll be forced to use an external flash drive to play the content, or pick up an ATV1.0 right now and put boxee on it?

emodro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear, also i read that it doesnt play back mkv's. I'll wait for the boxee box.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
If you are just streaming, then the apple tv running boxee is perfectly fine. It's not slow at all. I've never had a problem.

It is slow however, if you try to stream videos from like nbc, or other websites withing boxee.

I stream movies from my external drive attached to my Airport Extreme. all movies are streamed wirelessly on my apple tv running boxee and it has no problems.

but I'd also just wait for something newer like the boxee or another box. no reason to try to "hack" the apple tv to do things other boxes will do natively.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
If you are just streaming, then the apple tv running boxee is perfectly fine. It's not slow at all. I've never had a problem.

It is slow however, if you try to stream videos from like nbc, or other websites withing boxee.

I stream movies from my external drive attached to my Airport Extreme. all movies are streamed wirelessly on my apple tv running boxee and it has no problems.

but I'd also just wait for something newer like the boxee or another box. no reason to try to "hack" the apple tv to do things other boxes will do natively.

Well I'd hardly call the performance of Boxee on the ATV good, infact I'd say it's quite poor, the streaming web apps are the whole point of Boxee and on the ATV there useless. If you just want to stream your own content then XBMC works much better and has better content scraping features than Boxee althrough it's still not brilliant on the ATV. If the OP does want to run Boxee or XBMC then you still can't beat an Atom/ION nettop, for the price they cost the performance is fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.