Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikekoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I just bought an Ipad 64Gb Wifi. I would like to tether it to my phone, a HTC EVO, so I can use the internet on the Ipad pretty much everywhere. I did not buy the 3G version of the Ipad because it was too much $$$ and I did not want another wireless bill! What I want to accomplish is just a simple tether via bluetooth or USB, just like I do with my laptop. My Ipad and phone are both stock, and I do not want to hack them. I was thinking of jailbreaking the Ipad, but after reading a few posts on other forums, I am not sure it is a good idea. I am not going to hack my phone. It is working perfect, and what I am trying to accomplish here would not be used very often. I also have no interest in using the EVO as a hotspot. This is also too much $$$ and I just want to use this occasionally on my own. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Relg3!

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
In the floor.
No Luck Unless You Pay

I have read you need the "speacial tethering plan"
with Sprint to tether and the ONLY way around that is if you Root you device.
Sorry

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
You have to use the hotspot plan (which is $30 a month) if you do not want to root the phone.

bigddybn

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
EVO owner here.

You either need to root your phone and use wireless tether or pay sprint the 30 dollar hotspot plan.

Root the phone, it's not hard at all and you gain several other benefits.

mikekoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
EVO tether

EVO owner here.

You either need to root your phone and use wireless tether or pay sprint the 30 dollar hotspot plan.

Root the phone, it's not hard at all and you gain several other benefits.

I am just afraid I will brick it. I also just upgraded it to 2.2, and got it setup the way I like. It is working so well, I am afraid to rock the boat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.