Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Looked around a little but could not find any video and wanted to see someone going through the interface and menus, hopefully putting it through the paces, instead of just popping in and out of a few menu items at leisure.

I hear they finally fixed the lag associated with the menus, wanted to see if this was true even under controlled circumstances to judge for myself.

TIA

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I haven't found any videos myself. However, the lag is gone for me on the latest version for the original AppleTV. Perhaps, it's a good time for you to restore your tv and update it. Worked for me. It's nice and snappy.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
As in software version: 3.0.2 ?
Yes I have restored and reloaded 3.0.2 on all 3 of our machines, with no luck. 5 if you count our "satellite" friends machines

Really exited to get the TV2 finally, its been a long time coming for me/us.
The one issue,well two really, is I hope for no brief (2-3 min)missing audio/video when initializing a selection, and menu lag.

We have had more inopportune crashes from inexperienced users continually pushing buttons while waiting for the menu and TV to respond (I understand not the TVs fauly,just it shouldnt have lag to permit itself this issue IMO)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I've been looking too, but I haven't seen any coverage. They had demo units set up, but it looks like most of the press didn't bother.

From Steve's demo, it looks like the upper menu items are no longer animated and there were quite a few changes added to photos including location and the iPad's origami effect.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The menu lag is my biggest concern as well, and this looked fixed based on Jobs' demo. Also, the streaming performance better be improved as well.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
I've been looking too, but I haven't seen any coverage. They had demo units set up, but it looks like most of the press didn't bother.

I know, and I am sure they have fairly limited time with the units, but it astonishes me that no one was so much as compelled to take a vid of the unit in action showing off its “repaired” UI if it does fix the menue lag...

From Steve's demo, it looks like the upper menu items are no longer animated and there were quite a few changes added to photos including location and the iPad's origami effect.

What do you mean by “no longer animated”

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
I've found this one on youtube.

A video demo of the new Apple TV

and this one...

Apple TV

Thank you, it showed a few good pieces, but really wanted to see a switch in the “Computers” tab from one library to the next to see how it handles this handoff from one library to the next

The menu seems much more fluid, even if in a controlled environment.

Wish someone would have gone through the Settings menu also just to see if anything has changed.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
What do you mean by “no longer animated”

I may be wrong, but I thought the top menu items (recent items, top iTunes picks, etc) scrolled left to right on the old Apple TV and even flipped around after a while.

The new menu system struck me as very static for some reason. By the way, they didn’t add location to Photos, they added Faces and Events though.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I may be wrong, but I thought the top menu items (recent items, top iTunes picks, etc) scrolled left to right on the old Apple TV and even flipped around after a while.

The new menu system struck me as very static for some reason. By the way, they didn’t add location to Photos, they added Faces and Events though.

They don't scroll by themselves in the main menu (on 1st gen Apple TV), but you can go up and scroll through them yourself.

Faces and Events were added with the 3.0 update last year.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
So... based off of what I saw in that first video... we can't stream music videos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.