Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
I've been away for a few days and missed the ATV announcement so trying to catch up.

What I can't seem to find out is whether it'll be capable of streaming mkv video files (720p) from a pc/imac (Plex-like).

There's lots of talk of it's streaming capabilities but these all mention ios4 or itunes/youtube.

Broric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
MKV's tend to be used for blu-ray rips, which are 1080p, so no, as Apple only supports 720p anyway.

I thought MKV was just a container (normally for H.264). Most 720p rips normally come as MKVs. The specs (i did read them first) say it can play H.264 so I wondered whether it could handle MKVs without re-muxing them etc.

So I take it most people are waiting to see what the Boxee Box can do?

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I thought MKV was just a container (normally for H.264). Most 720p rips normally come as MKVs. The specs (i did read them first) say it can play H.264 so I wondered whether it could handle MKVs without re-muxing them etc.

So I take it most people are waiting to see what the Boxee Box can do?

The device has to be able to read the container to see whats inside. I wish xboxs read mkv files. :(

Broric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
The device has to be able to read the container to see whats inside. I wish xboxs read mkv files. :(

Yeah I guess that's what I'm asking, assuming it can't do that natively is there any other way it could be done server-side (like PS3 Media Server does).

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Yeah I guess that's what I'm asking, assuming it can't do that natively is there any other way it could be done server-side (like PS3 Media Server does).

Plex and boxee do I believe.

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to get PS3 media server to see my xbox. I have a crap load of mkv files I can watch. MDD just isn't fast enough.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
To answer your original question of does it do it on the Apple TV. The answer is no it won't work. Any file that will add to itunes and function correctly (Films, TV Shows, Music etc) will play on an Apple TV.

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
The short answer is no.

The longer answer is probably yes, but not out of the box and it will take some time before you could do that. I believe that the community will find a way to jailbreak the device and add capabilities like they did with the current ATV.

In the mean time you can always convert your mkv movies to mp4 or mov and add them to itunes. It's a bit tedious operation, but it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.