Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattfick12

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
hey everyone! I have just jail broke my iphone. 1.1.4. I used ZPhone to do it. everything works great! except for a few minor programs that i cant install because of my phone version. I have resently ssh into my phone and was cool with that. My friend at my school thought it would be cool to get into my phone using the standard "alpine" password. I tried changing the password (using terminal and passwd)and everything was cool untill my phone crashed. I had springboard installed. I thin tried to edit the master.passwd file and that messed up my phone.

OK MY QUESTION
is there anyway to acces my phone via usb w/o having to install OPENSSH? I would like it so when I plug in my phone, itunes will open, and also an icon will appear on my desktop so that i can drag files on or off like a hard drive. I dont care if its a single folder that i can access or everything. Is there a way that I can do this? -The only reason im trying to do this is, when i use ssh, i open my phone up and make it easier for people to get in. even with a changed password.

mattfick12

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Can I do this?

Ok. Thats on the idea on what I want to do. What I'm trying to do is so I can go from mac >to> mac (or) PC w/o having to install software. Basically like a thumb drive. It would be sweet for me to plug in my iphone at my friends house, copy come songs, and then upload them at my house on my computer.

this is the process that i would like to accomplish

1. plug in my iphone via usb cable to computer.
2. iTunes Opens + hard drive icon on desktop appears.
3. Be able to browse hard drive and upload new files or copy files.
4. disconnect \
5. plug my iphone into a different computer and repeat the process.

can you help me out?

I contacted Apple and I told them what i was trying to do. luckily, i got a guy that was cool with jail breaking and such...he said they were talking about being to access files on your iphone and use it as a harddrive. He said it will be out this year for def but he didn't know when. its prob going to be with the 1.1.5 update.

jolavo

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
a iphone user dreams..thumb drive iphone...

At MAcOS I use MegaPHone or FTPd..they work well but nothing similar at USB thumb drive... at my PC I wait for new app like CardReader at my old Treo 680....wait wait wait...
Olavo

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Sorry to be the voice of reason here, but isn't a $10 thumb drive just a whole lot easier ?

Just because something can be done, doesn't really mean doing it makes any sense.

chrisc983

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I use an app called USB drive. You have to add the source http://apt.dmytro.me/ in cydia. Only issue is that you have to restart into either PC or Mac compatible mode but that only takes a couple minutes and data transfer should be faster than doing it through wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.