Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
So we're going back to the dark ages again. The new tv offers no TV Shows in Canada (neither rent nor purchase) and the newest feature, Netflix is also unavailable.

I'm sticking with the original tv.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I guess that might attenuate the slap in the face to Canada, but no TV Shows would mean I'd have to go back to cable for the first time in almost 4 years.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Why do you think we won't have any TV shows? Canada already has a huge selection of TV shows, not as big as the US but still pretty big. Probably the second largest, what makes you think it's just gonna disappear?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/

TV Shows are removed from the Apple Canada page.

This is likely because Apple is starting over with TV Shows. They only have ABC and Fox on board and still, Fox only agreed to a limited trial.

Apple.com

screenshot20100904at125.png

Apple.ca

screenshot20100904at125.png

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/

TV Shows are removed from the Apple Canada page.

This is likely because Apple is starting over with TV Shows. They only have ABC and Fox on board and still, Fox only agreed to a limited trial.

You haven't got TV Show rentals yet but you should still be able to buy them through iTunes on your computer then stream them to the new Apple TV.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You haven't got TV Show rentals yet but you should still be able to buy them through iTunes on your computer then stream them to the new Apple TV.

Sure, but the experience is going to be far less convenient. You'll have to go buy an episode on your computer, then wait to download an episode in full before streaming it to your tv.

I cancelled my cable because I could do everything from the comfort of my couch, without turning "watching TV" into a computer experience. It's definitely a step back for Canada.

Hopefully Apple proves themselves with TV Show rentals and cuts similar deals with networks in Canada.

Corruptitudes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
Sure, but the experience is going to be far less convenient. You'll have to go buy an episode on your computer, then wait to download an episode in full before streaming it to your tv.

I cancelled my cable because I could do everything from the comfort of my couch, without turning "watching TV" into a computer experience. It's definitely a step back for Canada.

Hopefully Apple proves themselves with TV Show rentals and cuts similar deals with networks in Canada.

I guess I dont understand this mentality at all. I dont use the hard drive on my current ATV because my library wont fit on it. Renting Tv Shows? at 99 cents? That seems like a massive rip off. Id much rather pay the 1.99 buy the show, and then watch as much as Id like. So that just means Im doing the exact same thing I am now, streaming from my computer/network.

Nothing has changed except the fact that the newer unit wont heat up the room like the old atv did....

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather rent 99¢ episodes for the four shows per week that I watch than pay $100 for cable per month for 90% of channels I never watch.

And by the way, you're not comparing correct price points. HD Shows are $2.99. Rentals are in HD: 99¢

I do currently hesitate in buying a TV show for $2.99 because I know I'll only see it once. 99¢ makes that choice a lot easier.

That said, the option to purchase is still there so if it's a show you think you'd go out and buy on DVD, by all means, go to iTunes and buy it rather than renting.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009

How is it a stepback? When were you ever able to rent TV shows in Canada? Just because it's not a stepforward doesn't mean it's a stepback.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
F..cking CRTC

Yep...I just realized that after having sold my Apple TV and pre-ordered the new one. We will eventually get TV shows rental in Canada but the question is when ??

The reason we can't watch US content thought ABC and FOX is because of market protection by the CRTC. I believe that Apple is or will make some deals with canadian TV networks like CTV but when it will be done...that's the question. If Apple want to develop Apple TV market they would need to put some traction on securing the deals. I think with all the fuss we are hearing about public/generic TV network and profits redistribution on cable subscriptions in Canada, I really think it's gonna an easy task for Apple to secure deals with those networks.

We will see but by that time, we can still buy on iTunes and stream on the Apple TV or open a US iTunes account (google for that).

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
How is it a stepback? When were you ever able to rent TV shows in Canada? Just because it's not a stepforward doesn't mean it's a stepback.

You didn't read my post in full did you? If you did, please read it again.

Not having rentals in Canada isn't the step back. Not having any TV shows at all on the new tv is. With the first gen tv, you are able to do everything from the couch, and instantly. You sit down to watch TV, you browse available shows, you buy an episode and it starts playing almost immediately.

As it is now, in Canada, you'll have to get up, go to your computer, find something to buy, then wait for it to download, (up to 20 minutes or more in some cases) and then finally stream it to your tv. That takes the spontaneity out of TV watching and makes it a chore.

So, we lost a significant function and it wasn't replaced by a better one. That is the definition of a step back.

Of course, eventually rentals will come here but in the meantime, we'll wait months (or years as was the case with the original) to get TV shows back on our tv's.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
We will see but by that time, we can still buy on iTunes and stream on the Apple TV or open a US iTunes account (google for that).

I have a US account. I'm not sure if it will work though.

Signing in to your new tv with a US account will likely put TV Shows back on the menu but since it's all streaming, will Apple stream a TV Show rental to a foreign IP?

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I have a US account. I'm not sure if it will work though.

Signing in to your new tv with a US account will likely put TV Shows back on the menu but since it's all streaming, will Apple stream a TV Show rental to a foreign IP?

Well...I don't know. I will try to open a US account tonight and try renting a TV episode from iTunes and see if it works. If it works, I don't see why it won't on Apple TV.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks benoitgphoto. To pay, did you use a US iTunes Gift Card or prepaid credit card?

I used a prepaid MC card that I bought at Shoppers Drug MArt. I would like to try a US iTunes gift card as it will be easier to track the balance on it.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks again, it makes the new AppleTv more interesting for us in Canada.

Yep, I had regrets to have sold my old one and pre-ordered the new one but with that, it's a little bit more attractive. Hopefully they will secure deals with Canadian tv networks quickly.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
The reason for their being no actual 'purchase' option on the new :apple:TV is as there's no accessible storage..

Yep we know that. Personnaly, purchasing doesn't interest me that much but renting is what I'm looking for. However, in Canada, renting is crippled since we can only rent movies and no TV shows.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Thanks for checking that. I guess it will help ease the transition until TV Shows rentals are officially supported here. Still, with only Fox and ABC on board, the choices will be very limited.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yep we know that. Personnaly, purchasing doesn't interest me that much but renting is what I'm looking for. However, in Canada, renting is crippled since we can only rent movies and no TV shows.

There's a work around:

1 - Buy a prepaid VISA or Mastercard. They're disposable credit cards with a certain amount of credit.

2 - Sign up to iTunes US. Use a hotel address or of a friend or family member and top up your account with the prepaid credit card.

3 - Log in tv with your US iTunes account.

Enjoy iTunes and tv fully, just like our neighbours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.