Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emegmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
With the new Plex on all LG blueray players and tvs early next year why would anyone buy the apple tv now. You can have all your media presented beautifuly and have blue ray. To any one thinking of droping a hundred dollars i would wait
http://www.plexapp.com/

emegmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
ESPN3, MLBTV, NHL, Pandora, Hulu. Plex has an app store and many new ones shows up all the time. Give it time Plex will get more. Paying .99 cents a show is not a good option for me. Record them with eyetv. Much better value and you can keep the shows. I see no advantage over Plex.
If you ever used Plex's interface kills apple's. I can stream itunes and music that itunes won't allow, play any format I want, view all my photos in iphoto and aperture.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
ESPN3, MLBTV, NHL, Pandora, Hulu. Plex has an app store and many new ones shows up all the time. Give it time Plex will get more. Paying .99 cents a show is not a good option for me. Record them with eyetv. Much better value and you can keep the shows. I see no advantage over Plex.
If you ever used Plex's interface kills apple's. I can stream itunes and music that itunes won't allow, play any format I want, view all my photos in iphoto and aperture.

Not a viable option for anyone with large library of movies/TV shows purchased through iTunes as they cannot be played through PLEX and unlike running PLEX on a HTPC, you won't have the ability to watch via Front Row.

Otherwise I agree, being able to stream via PLEX and have ability to watch blu-ray through one box is nice.

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Instead of spending $100 on an AppleTV or $700 on a Mac mini I only need to spend $2000 on a new TV I don't need. EXCELLENT!

emegmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I forgot about apples drm stuff. I rip all my blue rays to my drives and would never buy a drm movie. If you buy alot from apple you are stuck using apples offerings. If not i see no reason to spend 100 dollars on the appletv that only rents movies and plays itunes materials vs 150 for a blue ray player that plays so much more, does more, has plug ins and plays any formats and plays all itunes material as long as they are not drm. The boxee box and google tv look interesting also. I just dont see the hype for the apple tv. I think many people will be disapointed once they buy it. I had an original one and it collected dust
I am just wanting people not to buy into apples hype without first looking at what else can be had. I love apple but this product is really not that good at anything.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.

Good point. As a Uk user I can't do any of that. Or rent tv shows from apple. Sux :(

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Instead of spending $100 on an AppleTV or $700 on a Mac mini I only need to spend $2000 on a new TV I don't need. EXCELLENT!

In a long run - absolutely. And it's not just LG. Sony is coming out with Atom-equipped TV set with built-in Google TV this fall. Once they put Android and Atom inside the TV set who would need underpowered ATV? The only problem with this configuration is it's unclear how AV Receiver fits into this picture.

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
In a long run - absolutely. And it's not just LG. Sony is coming out with Atom-equipped TV set with built-in Google TV this fall. Once they put Android and Atom inside the TV set who would need underpowered ATV? The only problem with this configuration is it's unclear how AV Receiver fits into this picture.

Way to miss the point entirely. :rolleyes:

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
This sounds a lot like "why would you get an iPhone when you can get an Android?"

Well because the intangible things do matter. Stuff like the UI works great, the integration with other Apple products works perfectly everytime and they all get the same updates/new features at the same time, etc.

So yeah, it's a walled garden, but I don't believe for a second that there's no downside to going with Plex over the new ATV. Just as with Android--You look into it and discover many things that are inferior and many things that are better.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
With the new Plex on all LG blueray players and tvs early next year why would anyone buy the apple tv now. You can have all your media presented beautifuly and have blue ray. To any one thinking of droping a hundred dollars i would wait
http://www.plexapp.com/

And I just bought 2 LG 570's. Oh well I'll buy one more and give the other as a present or something.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
This sounds a lot like "why would you get an iPhone when you can get an Android?"

Well because the intangible things do matter. Stuff like the UI works great, the integration with other Apple products works perfectly everytime and they all get the same updates/new features at the same time, etc.

So yeah, it's a walled garden, but I don't believe for a second that there's no downside to going with Plex over the new ATV. Just as with Android--You look into it and discover many things that are inferior and many things that are better.

Besides, the above mentioned DRM issue, name another downside of Plex. I have/will never buy DRM restricted iTunes video content, so this is a non-issue for me and many, many others.

To be fair, I'll give you some of upsides to a Plex/LG Blu-ray Player over the AppleTV:

1. Blu-Ray
2. Plays 1080p media
3. Plays music and video content from virtually any source
4. Plays internet video from hundreds of sources
5. Streams content (Video, music, pics) to your iDevices
6. etc.

emegmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007

I am a huge apple fanboy 2 iphones, 4 ipods, 3 macs and an ipad. I have never owned a windows computer on phone. I tried apple tv and it just does not fit apples line up. The UI is OK but if you add your own movies or tv shows it involves a lot of work. It has to be in only a few formats. This really cripples the device. I use makemkv and keep mkvs for everything on all my blu-rays. Why wont apple let me watch these. Then apple gives you no metadata. You have to send everything thru a program like Meta-x. Who wants to spend hours upon hours making sure everything is taged right. Plex and boxie have it right. They will play any format you throw at it. Just put the file where it needs to be and they do everything else for you. Comparing the UI is a matter of tastei like appletvs but i love plex/boxee fanart in the background of movies. Apple tv is the only product apple has ever made that I just dont like. Thet designed to make you spend money on itunes and nothing more. Im all for apple making money but 5 bucks to rent a movie, will play a very small amount of formats and no pulling meta data equals major fail in my book. I wish people would boycott this forcing apple to give us a device everyone could use.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008

WAit for Plex on the LG then. No one really cares.

And I always like how products a year out are always the best ones. :D

simulacra

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
This requires however that you buy an LG-set, I rather not, the poor build quality of their earlier models makes me look towards the Sony camp this time around again, but the initiative is good.

I'm probably gonna buy a mac mini for all things HTPC instead. :)

mclog

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
This requires however that you buy an LG-set, I rather not, the poor build quality of their earlier models makes me look towards the Sony camp this time around again, but the initiative is good.

I'm probably gonna buy a mac mini for all things HTPC instead. :)

You don't need to buy an LG TV, you can buy a NetCast enabled blu-ray player. NetCast isn't a feature only on the premium models either, it's currently on the BD370 that you can get for under €150, that'll be close to the AppleTV price in Europe. Most of their current TVs have Netcast as well, so no need to buy top-of-the-range models to get this feature.

I think the build quality of LG is comparable to any of the major manufacturers now, although I'm sure somebody can dig out statistics that would confirm or disprove that statement.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007

Of course there are downsides to Plex, nothing is perfect. And what you stated is absolutely true about the Apple TV. It really all depends on the person using it. I love Plex because I don't need to import into iTunes and manually tag it, something that I hated doing. I would highly recommend trying out Plex, its not that hard to get all your media scanned and looking pretty :)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I am a huge apple fanboy 2 iphones, 4 ipods, 3 macs and an ipad. I have never owned a windows computer on phone. I tried apple tv and it just does not fit apples line up. The UI is OK but if you add your own movies or tv shows it involves a lot of work. It has to be in only a few formats. This really cripples the device. I use makemkv and keep mkvs for everything on all my blu-rays. Why wont apple let me watch these. Then apple gives you no metadata. You have to send everything thru a program like Meta-x. Who wants to spend hours upon hours making sure everything is taged right. Plex and boxie have it right. They will play any format you throw at it. Just put the file where it needs to be and they do everything else for you. Comparing the UI is a matter of tastei like appletvs but i love plex/boxee fanart in the background of movies. Apple tv is the only product apple has ever made that I just dont like. Thet designed to make you spend money on itunes and nothing more. Im all for apple making money but 5 bucks to rent a movie, will play a very small amount of formats and no pulling meta data equals major fail in my book. I wish people would boycott this forcing apple to give us a device everyone could use.

I agree there are alot of Partners Apple could go with that would make tagging a movie or tv show easier, but they won't because even thou its a feature they really don't want you to add your own Content they want you to buy it from the Apple store, and those files are already tagged.

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I'm really happy with my LG blu-ray player.

They are really turning it into quite the player with adding all of the extra features (like Plex) to it. The MLB.tv app and being able to get all of the baseball games for $25/year is just awesome.

growlf

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2004
Missing the point

I think people are missing the point. I don't see anything that indicates that Plex will do anything but SERVE content to the LG devices - not run on it. Something that other TVs (Samsungs, for example) can already do via UPnP/DLNA.

I have a new Mac Mini and a new i7 Windows 7 machine that I put together for the purposes of being a HTPC. Only XBMC on Windows/Linux is capable of delivering an acceptable experience on large screens. The media center options running under Mac OS X (Boxee, Plex, XBMC) are incapable of switching the refresh to match the source material. Judder Judder Judder.

I've settled on Boxee on the Mac mini for delivering local and network (TV) content to small screens, and XBMC on Windows for large (projector) screen presentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.