Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobgorila

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
I use Boxee to play media so I never cared much what format files were.

But lately I've been getting into Air Video, which is smart enough to only transcode a file if it has to - if you point it at a MP4 file that iOS can handle it'll just send the stream straight through and give your CPU a break.

It's not smart enough to peek inside MKV files though, so it'll transcode them unnecessarily. Re-packaging all my MKV media into MP4 would save a lot of hurt.

I use Subler for one-off jobs, but the GUI doesn't support batches and I can't wrap my head around the CLI syntax.

Can anyone suggest a different app, or help me out using Subler's CLI?

frequeniquity

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
I use playback to stream to my 360 and it had a feature that lets you convert mkv to mp4. Takes about 2 minutes per half hour of video on my black macbook.

http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/take-the-tour/?convert

Works like a charm with air video and streaming over 802.11g to my 360. The great thing about it is that once your video is converted, it streams in air video with no extra transcoding, i.e. it's native to my iphone 4.

bobgorila

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Not bad, but it junked the secondary audio and subtitles from my foreign movies.

Back to the drawing board~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.