Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
I live in New Plymouth, New Zealand which is probably an hour flight from Christchurch, and I felt it.. It happened at 4.45am. Most buildings are very badly damaged, no deaths, a few serious injuries - one old man had a chimney fall on him.

Biggest earthquake in NZ since 1930.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I wonder if that christian food bank that made news there for not accepting help unless it was from Christians a couple months or so ago will be more willing to reconsider any help they can get--especially considering the possible needed relief efforts.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
"Welcome your Yankee masters." ;)

Attachments

• 076098-christchurch-earthquake.jpg
    076098-christchurch-earthquake.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 77

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Saw a report on Sky News this morning. Pretty major damage, although apparently only a few people were hurt and no deaths, luckily. Some parts of the city have flooded with sewage as the pipes have broken :(

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Its good that we've progressed far enough that pretty big earthquakes can happen with such a small (or in this case zero) casualties.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
The Haites one made the length of an earth day a few super small fractions of a fraction of a second longer. I wonder if this one will do the same.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Its good that we've progressed far enough that pretty big earthquakes can happen with such a small (or in this case zero) casualties.
That's because of decent infrastructure thankfully Both NZ and Chile had very good building practices so the damages were minimal....Haiti on the other hand was ****ed years before the quake even hit--very awful infrastructure there.

The Haites one made the length of an earth day a few super small fractions of a fraction of a second longer. I wonder if this one will do the same.

Evey quake, every eruption, everything in the cosmos has a minuscule slowing effect affect on the Earths rotation by hundredths if not thousandths to even billionths of fractions of a second including the planet itself--this one will likely not effect the 24 hour day we currently enjoy very much, but I am sure it added to the slowing.

OMG, the crust is going to burst!!!! :eek:

LOL no worries chicken little your life is a short one you will grow into a big chicken soon enough and be on the menu at KFC:D

Oddly, I am reminded of a speaker decades back that spoke at a Jr high school assembly I attended as a kid. The dude had Cerebral Palsy he opened with a joke about the condition saying he was born with a kinked umbilical cord which made him a lil bit "kinky"

I liked something he said toward the end of the speech about earthquakes "The only thing I remember about the last earthquake in California, I was there for a speech, and I was walking around all twitchy and wobbly as usual then suddenly everyone else was walking around all twitchy and wobbly! I was starting to feel insulted at first until I realized I was the only one walking like everyone else normally does!"

wbham

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
New Zealand
I live in chch, scary stuff.
Not much damage at my place but heaps of things fell of walls and shelves. Been a few decent aftershocks today too.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Just chatted with a buddy who lives there. He and his family are ok, but it's a big mess, and a miracle that no one was killed. Have a look at the photos.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I wonder if that christian food bank that made news there for not accepting help unless it was from Christians a couple months or so ago will be more willing to reconsider any help they can get--especially considering the possible needed relief efforts.

Wow. That food bank really needs to learn what Christianity really is...

rrk310

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
The mobile network stayed up so we were able to see what was happening across town on the iPad & iPhone; and respond to emails from the US that arrived in under an hour of the main quake

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
7.0 earthquake in large, populated city in Haiti: Hundreds of thousands dead, city is reduced to rubble
7.4 earthquake in large, populated city New Zealand: Zero dead, some damage, mostly minor, and the city isn't a total loss

It's amazing what building codes and some of that "evil big government regulation" can do ;)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
7.0 earthquake in large, populated city in Haiti: Hundreds of thousands dead, city is reduced to rubble
7.4 earthquake in large, populated city New Zealand: Zero dead, some damage, mostly minor, and the city isn't a total loss

It's amazing what building codes and some of that "evil big government regulation" can do ;)

Having buildings made of wood rather than cinder block helps too!

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
I think it was revised to 7.1 in the end.

My cousin in Christchuch had a crystal bowl close to her bed explode with the sonic vibration / pressure wave or similar. She was lucky she only got a small cut on her finger out of it.

I am waiting to see how insurance companies are going to try and get out of claims. I am sure it will happen.

Some of the after shocks have been in the 5 range also.

MacManiac777

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
New Zealand
News from the ground

I'm from Bexley (Christchurch) NZ. We are in one of the worst hit areas in the Canterbury Region. Seabreeze Close and Kokopu Lane have been hit really hard and the houses are sinking into the ground (we are too but not as bad). We have had over 300 aftershocks and they are still measuring 4+

Some of the damage from our yard and surrounding ground:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3138906/Website/video/earthquake/fence_to_garden.mov
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3138906/Website/video/earthquake/front_section_to_garage.mov
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3138906/Website/video/earthquake/shed_to_garage.mov

The University of Canterbury has been hit quite hard, many facilities will not be operational for an extended period of time: http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/recovery/photos/

The following map of the earthquakes is quite interesting to watch: http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.