Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
Hey guys! I have a iBook 12" with 640 Mb Ram and a CD/DVD combo drive. :apple: I started having problems with the computer booting. I called apple and they said to use the boot up cd and repair the drive. This worked for a while until one time i went to turn it on and the HD completely failed. I went and bought a new 20Gb HD for the iBook. I followed the instructions found on ifixit.com and replaced the Hard Drive. Only when i turn on the computer... i would hear the cdrom spin up and the hard drive spin and the fan kick-on but the screen won't turn on. :eek: So i put my old one in and it works fine. :confused:

I need my computer working as soon as possible. It is difficult to do school with out a working laptop. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks! :)

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
Sorry I meant to say that one the first post... It is a brand new unformatted hd.
I dont have any other macs so i cant install os x via firewire. :(

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
According to your first post, you still have the original grey restore disks for your Mac? If so, you should be able to install OS X on the new hard drive by booting with the CD/DVD. Have you tried this?

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
I don't have the original restore disks, but i have Mac os x Tiger 10.4 cd that i purchased from apple. I have used it before and it boots directly to my cd if i press the "c" key IF i have my old hard drive in. When i have my new hard drive in (and i press "c"), i can hear it spinning and reading the disk but i don't see anything on my screen.

I hope i am being clear. Sorry if i am not.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Is the Tiger disk an upgrade disk? It should say on the disk itself. If it is, it is probably expecting to find Panther on the hard drive.

Also, could you say which HD is in your iBook right now? And do you have an external HD enclosure or caddy that you could put the other drive into?

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
The tiger disk is not an upgrade disk... and I have the new HD in the laptop now... and I have my old hard drive in the case that my new hard drive came in.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't think at the moment why the behaviour should be different if you're issuing the same command to boot from the CD. Let me have a think/sleep and see if someone in a different time zone chips in in the mean time........

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
have you jumpered the new harddrive as MASTER ? i ask as most come as cable select and that wont work the ibook will not recognise a harddrive if its cable select the hardrive will spin around in cable select but , for the ibook there i no harddrive inside then

usually there is a label on top that tells you where the jumper (on some even 2) have to be set to make it master

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
No i didnt jumper it at all... my old one wasnt and the new one didnt come with a jumper...so i figured i didnt need one.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
another question where did you buy the harddrive , i ask for a reason as some harddrives meant for pc which had been in one before wont work on Mac because of some low level formating which the mac cant read or make any use of

and some hardrive are master if there is no jumper but others need a jumper to be master every manufacutrer has its own plan and sometimes even the same manufacturer change their jumper setting

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
Well...i bought the hard drive on ebay from a dealer of new apple hard drives. So idk, And on the sticker on top of the hard drive it says to make the hard drive master put the jumper here (and of course it shows where to put it). My old hard drive had that same sticker but it didnt have a jumper. Make sense?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hmm tricky now my ibook has a jumper set , but its a g4

but now i read that normally they should not need one

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
I tried that and it didn't work... although, right before my hard drive went bad I had my volume down so i didnt hear the chime when i started it up, but i reset the PRAM and i heard the chime. But the screen still won't turn on. :(

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
sorry if i ask again :confused:
so your screen works perfectly fine when you put in the old harddrive and it boots
but the screen doesn't come on when you put in the new harddrive am i right here ?
as i never experienced something like that before
another thing
what happens with the new harddrive in when you press

Command + Option (alt) + O + F
(should open the open firmware and be displayed on the screen )

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
Yes, you are correct. And I tried that and nothing different happened.
I also tried pressing Option when it first booted taking me to where i can choose what drive to boot from then i pressed CTRL+X taking me to the command line interface. and i typed in Mac-boot and i heard the cd-rom drive spin up like it was booting. (But still saw nothing) So i know it is at least trying to boot up. I dont want to have to buy something else you know? :confused:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
You got ATA conflict with new HDD most probably. Check jumper settings for new and original HDD. It's possible that "no jumper" means (for example) Master for old and Slave for new one. There is only one ATA channel in iBooks and Master/Slave things are important.

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
Nope... The screen still didn't turn on, and i heard weird clicking noises from the speaker when i did this... So i don't think it helped. :(

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
so if the iBook turns on normal with desktop on the screen with the old harddrive ,
and the screen stays dark with the new harddrive and if the jumper settings are as they are supposed to be :confused:
then i take a guess and say the new harddrive came DOA or it was never meant for the iBook , but i am not sure about that because its a long long time ago i came across a 20gb p-ata 2.5"
i googeled a bit and came across that little bit in wiki , but that is now a extremely wild guess with that

Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE), later renamed to ATA, with the alias P-ATA ("parallel ATA") retroactively added upon introduction of the new variant Serial ATA. The original name reflected the innovative integration of HDD controller with HDD itself, which was not found in earlier disks. Moving the HDD controller from the interface card to the disk drive helped to standardize interfaces, and to reduce the cost and complexity. The 40 pin IDE/ATA connection transfers 16 bits of data at a time on the data cable. The data cable was originally 40 conductor, but later higher speed requirements for data transfer to and from the hard drive led to an "ultra DMA" mode, known as UDMA. Progressively faster versions of this standard ultimately added the requirement for an 80 conductor variant of the same cable; where half of the conductors provides grounding necessary for enhanced high-speed signal quality by reducing cross talk. The interface for 80 conductor only has 39 pins, the missing pin acting as a key to prevent incorrect insertion of the connector to an incompatible socket, a common cause of disk and controller damage.

that is really only a wild wild wild guess that it is one of the earlier harddrives or a doa , but would explain why your ibook is not booting with it as the open firmware looks first for the harddrive and then for the screen if i am informed right so it does not get to the screen and stops booting at that point

i am totally :confused: now and could be totally on the wrong path and there is a simple solution to the problem and i just cant see the forest because of all the trees

Codester1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Enid, Ok
Well I wouldnt say "Stop booting" because i can hear it trying to read from the CD. I hear the lens moving back and forth as the cd is spinning... so it seems like it is still trying to boot. But I honestly dont know. And About the whole thing you explained, i didnt really catch a lot of that :eek: But... I do know that the Hard drive i ordered was for an iBook G3 500 mhz. And that is exactly what i have so idk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.