Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Okay, sorry for all the threads I just had to ask about this to make sure its not some issue on the inside of the machine. When I first got my powerbook(3 days ago) and yes it was used, I took it out of the box and was looking over it. I smelt an odor over the keyboard so I got closer and smelt it(yes it sounds very weird LOL) and the keyboard smelt like human sweat, it was nasty.. I heard about iBooks keyboards absorbing sweat in the keys after years of use then giving off an odor, is this the same here? Nothing else smells like this but the keyboard. Probably the only reason I am asking is to make sure its not like a blown capacitor smell etc. Is this just from the sweaty original owner :p? Or could it be something gone bad in the inside :(.

Thanks!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
This brings back memories of the old iBooks. Just clean it off with soap and cleaner, old toothbrush works very good too. That will get rid of all the stick :D

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I think the thermal compound used on some older Powerbooks and iBooks would smell bad after some time. My mom owned an iBook G3 that always had a nasty smell it gave off once it started getting hot. I think it wasn't uncommon.

Johnny7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think it's an issue with the internals because it smelt like it out of the box and doesn't worsen as I work. I will clean it off in a bit.

-Johnny

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.