Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have both of them at the moment so I thought I'd share some photos. The PS is going back. I really wanted to like the PS because it's light, thin and doesn't have white stitching. However, the quality just isn't there. Plus, as you can see, the cover doesn't lay flat and there's no way you could type in landscape mode.

Power Support

Yoobao

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Oh no. I was holding out for the power support hoping it would be higher quality at that price.

Now I guess I am down to either chinao or cyberacoustics.

pm41m

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
How is the Yoobao slim case when holding the iPad in your hand in landscape mode? Does the front cover stay in place when flipped around and does the closing strap get in the way?

Webnasty

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
When you flip the Yoobao Slim cover around to the back it lays pretty flat, and gets flatter as it breaks in. The strap is there but I find it doesn't get in the way or bother me but YMMV.

onehotchili

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
hmmm... I got an email from PowerSupport that they were coming out with a better quality case in another week or so, since they said the first batch didn't pass their QC tests. did you get one of the "not so good ones?"

i too, have been waiting on the new PS Folio.... but I may just pull the trigger on the Yoobao Slim.....

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
hmmm... I got an email from PowerSupport that they were coming out with a better quality case in another week or so, since they said the first batch didn't pass their QC tests. did you get one of the "not so good ones?"

i too, have been waiting on the new PS Folio.... but I may just pull the trigger on the Yoobao Slim.....

I got one of the "new and improved" ones.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
thanks for clarifying.... that is very disappointing for PS.

Yoobao Slim... coming my way!

The PS is still a decent case (it's light, nice leather, etc.) it just couldn't stand up to the slim. And for $80 the case should have been much nicer.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
If you use a black Sharpie on them they're no longer white. :D

Oh wow... I guess if one is careful :) Black shoe polish does the trick and of course is designed to be applied to leather - apply to the whole case, buff, apply conditioner, buff again, and you're good to go. Just did it last night and it's awesome. No potential messups with permanent marker covering the leather.

Thanks for doing this comparison. Had a MacAlly Bookstand. My girlfriend picked up the a brown slim case and I was blown away by the quality. It really is quite remarkable something like this can exist at this price point. Was not in the market for another case but had to get one after seeing hers.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the comparison photos! I was checking out both of these cases before settling on the SGP Vintage. The thing I didn't like about both was the plastic corners but that was just me being nit-picky.

Both are nice cases though!

mechanopony

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
Black shoe polish does the trick and of course is designed to be applied to leather - apply to the whole case, buff, apply conditioner, buff again, and you're good to go. Just did it last night and it's awesome. No potential messups with permanent marker covering the leather.

What a great idea! It's kind of a pity that the stitching only comes in white. It would be really cool if they came in other colors too. Reminds me of race seats if the stitching would be in red or yellow.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
What a great idea! It's kind of a pity that the stitching only comes in white. It would be really cool if they came in other colors too. Reminds me of race seats if the stitching would be in red or yellow.

Seriously doesn't take much to blacken out the white stitching. I had some black shoe dye and used a q-tip to rub the dye across the stitching. I did the q-tip rub twice and it took me less than 5 minutes.

Crp5

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Same box here:

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=TnNPqdxrlVo&feature=related

It appears that Yoobao simply can't spell:

Whew...thanks. Was getting really ticked thinking that I paid full price for a knock off. The case itself is very nice and seems to be of high quality materials. The cheesy instructions and the mis-spelling on the cover of all places made me doubt the authenticity.

Thanks for the link as I hadn't picked that up anywhere.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Hey guys...WilWiredTV (I did the above linked review..) here! It's funny, even after doing my review and loving the SLIM, I NEVER noticed that typo till you posted that pic (Funny how our minds sometimes auto-translate typos on us..). I did contact my original sellar for this product and it was indeed bought from an official rep with Yoobao.

So yes, they are official, just a bad typo...it's been reported back to Yoobao. Enjoy the case!

Crp5

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Your review on YouTube was actually what pushed me over to the slim case rather than the magic case. Thanks for posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.