Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zepica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
I cant find anywhere what is internet speed requirement for apple tv. So I can watch movies without glitches. :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Depends on movie and whether you choose SD or HD. Try renting a movie on your computer to see how it works

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I wondered this, the Apple person told me to ask my ISP, but I took the view of, how do they know how big the file is, it's YOU as APPLE that should know what I need, so I know whether the Apple TV will work or not! To be honest I don't exactly think she knew what she was talking about, she said you couldn't rent from the Apple TV box, you had to buy/download all your programs from iTunes, and then stream them after the download! Which left me VERY confused!

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
probably best to try out other streaming sites for this. Youtube now does TV programs in the UK so you could maybe try watching one of those and see how it goes.

zepica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
I wondered this, the Apple person told me to ask my ISP, but I took the view of, how do they know how big the file is, it's YOU as APPLE that should know what I need, so I know whether the Apple TV will work or not! To be honest I don't exactly think she knew what she was talking about, she said you couldn't rent from the Apple TV box, you had to buy/download all your programs from iTunes, and then stream them after the download! Which left me VERY confused!

This is for old version, new apple tv cant download, it must stream all content. I wonder if 5mbps will be enough.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
This is for old version, new apple tv cant download, it must stream all content. I wonder if 5mbps will be enough.

Well I'm chugging along on 0.5Mbps.... can't imagine that'll work, and with my dongle, I get 2Mbps or sometimes slightly more... so I don't want to purchase to find it doesn't work!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I am thinking it wouldn't work well for me either as I am 1.0 mbps on the connection speed...our only option in this area...well, I guess I could get satellite, but it sucks for my friend that has it at his church...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I assume it will be close to that of netflix and possibly even a little less strict. Netflix says that to view their shows in HD you need a 6mbps download speed and I think 1-2mbps for standard.

I'm at work and decided to test my speed... I can't believe our upload speed is faster than our download speed... weird?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 18,680

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I don't know how well iTunes movies stream but my experience with Netflix has been great. I only have a 1.2 Mbps connection but I still get pretty good quality. Right now I stream over an xbox which has 4 bars that indicate video quality. I'd say 50% of the time it's on 3 bars, 40% of the time it's on 2 bars, around 5% on 1 bar, and then sometimes it actually shoots up to full HD. It's really funny when it happens because sometimes it'll go all the way from 1 bar to HD for a few minutes then back to something more expected. That's a massive difference in bandwidth, I don't know why it happens, but it really makes me wish I could get faster internet.

But if you have a slower connection like mine, I highly recommend you use ethernet instead of going wireless. It has made my netflix connection much more stable.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I don't know how well iTunes movies stream but my experience with Netflix has been great. I only have a 1.2 Mbps connection but I still get pretty good quality. Right now I stream over an xbox which has 4 bars that indicate video quality. I'd say 50% of the time it's on 3 bars, 40% of the time it's on 2 bars, around 5% on 1 bar, and then sometimes it actually shoots up to full HD. It's really funny when it happens because sometimes it'll go all the way from 1 bar to HD for a few minutes then back to something more expected. That's a massive difference in bandwidth, I don't know why it happens, but it really makes me wish I could get faster internet.

But if you have a slower connection like mine, I highly recommend you use ethernet instead of going wireless. It has made my netflix connection much more stable.

I think it may have something to do with netflix (at least some of the "problem") I get 13mbps at home and 70% of the time it runs in standard def 20% it runs in HD and the other 10% of the time it will start off in HD and change to SD about a minute into the show. It's weird, and somewhat annoying. I have 100% wi-fi signal. Also, this is via my PS3.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Okay. A few things I don't get. Both pics were taken right after eachother.

I pay for 13 MBPS download... typically I get around 8-9 on speedtest.net.

Now,

1) Why does using a server 500 miles away give me far greater results than one in my own city.
2) Why do sometimes, such as now, do I get very low speeds in comparison to what I "normally" get.
3) Why do I "normally" get 8mbps when I pay for 13?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-06 at 11.41.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-06 at 11.41.37 PM.png
    41 KB · Views: 18,561
  • Screen shot 2010-09-06 at 11.43.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-06 at 11.43.22 PM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 18,535

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if rentals on the new ATV work the same as the current one, where rentals are temporarily downloaded to the device then deleted when they expire. The nice part about this setup is that you can watch movies as they download (if your downstream connection is ~6mbps or higher), or you can wait until it finishes downloading before you start watching. Even with something like 4GB of flash storage the new ATV could work this way.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
That ping is terrible... you'll probably experience lag with a ping that high. (Well, lag cause high ping not vice versa, but you may still experience glitchy video)
Here's what I got when I went to pingtest.net is that any good in conjunction with my Internet speed?:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.