Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
:eek:WTF????

i am now on my 3rd iphone and i heard a text to my phone so i pick it up and it says the phone needs to cool down before i used it with a trianble with a ! in it... now the phone turned off and i cant turn it on???? what the heLLLL????????????????:confused: any ideas????

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
what???? never heard of this, never had this kind of issue with any phone of any kind.... will they swap it if i take it back? i dont want the thing exploding on me!!!!

CashDude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
This usually happens when iPhone (lol at using it as a proper noun) is left in direct sunlight. If you must leave it on a table outside, throw a napkin or rag over it or something.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This happened to my girlfriend's iPhone when she left it out in the sun by the pool on a 110 degree Arizona summer day.

Shocking :rolleyes:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
This happened to me once when the iPhone was sitting right next to me at home. It was doing nothing and was not hot. I rebooted the phone and it was fine and I have never seen that warning since.

PrincessMelody

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Charleston, SC
I too got the red triangle when I was at the beach...so I put it in my bag in the shade and it was fine after a little while. I always take my iPhone to the beach with me, and it only ever happened that one time.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
This happens randomly and is yet another flaw with the iphone4. I believe you that your phone was not actually overheating. I have seen this on many friends ip4's that were perfectly cool, so I know this is a real issue.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yes, try a reboot.

There have been a number of posts on various forums since the iPhone 4 came out, where someone saw the temperature warning once, rebooted, and never saw it again.

For whatever reason, Apple seems to still not have figured out a proper initialization sequence after all these years.

damirski

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
That happened to me today @ one of Chicago beaches,
listening to radio thru iphone and it just stopped with the same warning.....
:eek:

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I have never seen this error message on my iPhone, but if I did I would leave it alone for a bit.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I hate how even the most obvious message "Turn off your computer" get's people going "WHAT DOES TURN OFF MY COMPUTER MEAN"

Your phone got hot, for WHATEVER reason. Unless this happens over and over then it's not an issue and the phone got hot..

You turned off the phone, WAIT A WHILE. If after a few hours (6-12 at MAX) it doesn't turn on, maybe it needs to be charged? Try that..

Jeeze this stuff is so simple and even simple things people can't seem to understand..

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Just go this after receiving a text message. Phone was cold. It's freezing here (it's Winter) OS 4.1, iPhone 4

Very odd.

Seen it before once with a 3GS left in a car on a hot summer day. That was hot to the touch. It operates normally up to a very hot temperature before the message.

This time there was no heat involved. Very strange. Hope its not a bug in 4.1

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Your iPhone WOULD cool down, but it's far too busy - being delicious.

Judge_Fudge.jpg

Cheesebach

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
The same thing happened to me when my phone was receiving a call. I wasn't able to take the call and I had to reboot my phone to use it again. The phone was locked and sitting on a table in an air conditioned room and was cool to the touch. So far, it's only happened once and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again since the phone is perfect otherwise.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
The same thing happened to me when my phone was receiving a call. I wasn't able to take the call and I had to reboot my phone to use it again. The phone was locked and sitting on a table in an air conditioned room and was cool to the touch. So far, it's only happened once and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again since the phone is perfect otherwise.

It just happens for no reason at all. It's a bug. I just rebooted mine when this happened and it hasn't happened since.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Are you sure it's not just a joke? There are a few stupid iphone apps that display random messages, appear to crack the screen, or give you a black screen. Maybe someone played a trick on you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.