Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjidoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I plan on getting an iPhone 4 w/o contract tomorrow. I called the store and they are willing to sell to AT&T customers. The thing is; my current two year agreement with AT&T expires in 3 days, and I plan on terminating my plan and switch to prepaid sims.

So my question is: do prepaid sims work with the iPhone 4? And, does it have to be an unlocked piece, and can I unlock it myself?

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I plan on getting an iPhone 4 w/o contract tomorrow. I called the store and they are willing to sell to AT&T customers. The thing is; my current two year agreement with AT&T expires in 3 days, and I plan on terminating my plan and switch to prepaid sims.

So my question is: do prepaid sims work with the iPhone 4? And, does it have to be an unlocked piece, and can I unlock it myself?

I'm currently using the iPhone 4 on a prepaid GoPhone account (0.25 rate plan) and it works perfectly!

Prepaid sims definitely work with the iPhone 4. Just head over to the AT&T store and set up a GoPhone account and ask for a microsim (instead of a regular sim). The iPhone does NOT have to be unlocked (my iPhone is on 4.0.2 right now and there is definitely no unlock for that).

benjidoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Would this work with a T-Mobile pay as you go sim? It's prices are significantly cheaper (10c/min) compared to ATT(25c/min).

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
No, it will not work with T-Mobile...unless you jailbreak it and unlock it.

AT&T prepaid works because they're on the same network.

Also remember that under T-Mobile, you can only use EDGE.

forceword

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Data allowance on prepaid

How does this work with data. I have an unlocked UK IPhone 4 that I want to use with a prepaid sim next time I come to the US but I can't get a clear answer on how to get a decent data allowance on a prepaid sim.

Thanks,

Liam

Sk8mfm

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Go to bestbuy and buy the h20 wireless prepaid sim card. This works with a locked iPhone 4. This is what I'm using right now. I think it's 14 cents per minute and 5cents to text!

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
How does this work with data. I have an unlocked UK IPhone 4 that I want to use with a prepaid sim next time I come to the US but I can't get a clear answer on how to get a decent data allowance on a prepaid sim.

Thanks,

Liam

Data is pretty costly for prepaid plans.
It's 1MB for $4.99
or 100MB for $19.99...

I hear you can stack the 100MB plans up to 3 times per month or something like that. So you end up having 300 MB at $60.

EDIT: like SDAVE said, t-mobile will only work if you jailbreak and unlock your iphone 4...not possible as of now (because iPhone 4's are already shipping with 4.0.2) but will soon be possible once a jailbreak comes out for 4.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.