Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stear88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Ok so I replaced the broken digitizer on my 3g.
When I put back together the screen won't turn on
but it vibrates and rings. When I replaced it the screen
was on at the time would that matter. I put the LCD
on my girls iPhone and it worked fine but it's not working on
mine. Any ideas?

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
do you know how to do a full restart? hold the home button and the off/mute button down at the same time. it may take 30 seconds or so, you will see the slider to turn it off but keep holding, it will go dark and then you will see the apple logo. sometimes this does the trick!

you should never work on them when its turned on. you may have also blown the proximity sensor but you wont know until it restarts.

phebert27

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Ok so I replaced the broken digitizer on my 3g.
When I put back together the screen won't turn on
but it vibrates and rings. When I replaced it the screen
was on at the time would that matter. I put the LCD
on my girls iPhone and it worked fine but it's not working on
mine. Any ideas?

So it's been a few months since the issue here has been addressed. So for any future folks with this problem, here is what you want to do:

First if you have not done so prior to replacing the damage parts, disconnect the battery as the first thing you'll want to do.

If you have already gone about the business of replacing the part and its now not working like this situation here, then disconnect the battery, make sure all of your connections are good with the part you replaced, then reconnect the battery. Put phone back together. Then hold down pwer and home button at same time untill Apple Logo appears. Plug into itunes and this should fix your problems. I had a problem like this before and this fixed it. Now I know to always disconnect the battery first ;)

pdaviesoz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Adelaide, Oz
Battery?

Now I know to always disconnect the battery first

The battery is at the bottom of the iPhone. You cannot disconnect it first.

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Actually disconnecting the battery first is usually the first thing you do when taking it apart. You have to unscrew the connector and then you can remove the battery.

I did this, did a restore, etc and still just a backlit black screen on my 4. Don't know what else to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.