Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Seems alot of pixelation is going on there.

You can really see it in the sky..

touchcam2.jpg

That's not pixelation that's noise and it really isn't any worse than the amount of noise in some of the full size iPhone 4 photos I have seen posted like this one.

img0443j.jpg

Being fixed focus closeups with the new touch won't be very good, as you can see in a couple of the other sample photos like the Pepsi bottles and the yellow post they look somewhat worse than the others because they are a little out of focus. A step or so further back and they would have been noticeably sharper. By taking a handful of test shots starting close to a subject and then moving a small step back between shots you could quite easily get a pretty good idea of the minimal focal length of the lens and avoid those sorts of shots.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
i just took some pics to show the pic quality while indoors
...looks decent on the ipod touch screen but when you upload it to a computer..........not so much lol

sczy48.jpg

2vjbles.jpg

rkrnno.jpg

2ebqyzd.jpg

now an outside pic (much better)

jb4syb.jpg

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
You guys are ridiculous.

The photo quality is damn good - not just "for what it is" but just GOOD. I've seen way worse shots from dedicated digital camera. Hell, my 7MP digital camera takes terrible pictures, and it has literally 10x the MP count of the touch.

Is this going to replace a $1200 professional level digital camera? No. Will it replace a ****** cellphone camera, or even a low-to mid range pocket camera? Absolutely.

The pictures I've taken so far have all come out fantastic. Even in some very poor lighting.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the photo quality.

classie787

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Noisemaker---post sample pics! I don't see any way that this can possibly replace even a lower-end dedicated digital camera. There must be something wrong with your 7mp digicam!

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Someone forgot the </sarcasm> tag.

Sarcasm is not always readily apparent on the web. It's not like your readers can see you winking at them or giggling when you type this batshi* crazy stuff.

Anyway, the videos that I've seen look pretty good(I'm impressed). The photos are barely ok for pocket cam pics(stretching it a bit at that) or OK for an emergency or internet cam.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Someone forgot the </sarcasm> tag.

Sarcasm is not always readily apparent on the web. It's not like your readers can see you winking at them or giggling when you type this batshi* crazy stuff.

Anyway, the videos that I've seen look pretty good(I'm impressed). The photos are barely ok for pocket cam pics(stretching it a bit at that) or OK for an emergency or internet cam.

+1 lol

As for the camera i fully understand peoples beef with it but at least the silver lining seems to be that the video quality looks very good. I'll probably hold tight to my 2nd gen and wait for either the 7" ipad or iphone 5 whichever comes first.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
OMG, the still indoor pictures are terrible, like my point and shoot camera from 1995 year. Slightly better outdoor, as the camera is fed by more light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.