Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I keep my 2010 i3 HP Laptop or should I buy a 1.67gHz Powerbook?

• Keep the HP

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Sell it and by the Powerbook G4

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I need to use it for:

Word Processing
Instant Messaging
Web Browsing
Occasional Youtube

And as I'm going to be using it for work purposes, fast boot-up would be good.

Thanks

mikenguyen

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2005
I need to use it for:

Word Processing
Instant Messaging
Web Browsing
Occasional Youtube

And as I'm going to be using it for work purposes, fast boot-up would be good.

Thanks

your current hp laptop is fulfilling all your needs at the moment so why do you need to get the powerbook?

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I dunno, I love my powerbook and wonder how an HP lappy could ever compare...

Current HP Envy 14 is an amazing machine. If it had been out when I was buying my current MBP, wouldn't of even considered buying my MBP.

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Keep the HP unless you can get $600 for it, so you could buy an early C2D MBP. Which I doubt you'd be able to.

I love my PowerBook and all, it's a great machine, but if what you have now is working fine, why sell it? Unless you think you will be that much happier changing OS's.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i would sell the HP and buy the powerbook , i dont care about youtube in hd
but even if for one mad reason i had a Hp i would install linux ubuntu on it and at least make that look and feel like osx which is possible to a certain extend and all other programs are open source
and which safes the processor and ram hogging antivirus programs you need in windows

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Then something is wrong with your Powermac. I play YouTube all day on my 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook and its just as good as my MacBook Pro.

No, it's not.

Even running Tiger, sure you can view it smoothly, but there is no way you could watch HD Flash content on a PowerBook of any kind.

headset

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
vermont
yeah for real, my pb can't handle flash video well. I love the pb, but when it chokes on flash vids I start to day dream about an 11.6" air.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
safes the processor and ram hogging antivirus programs you need in windows

I haven't used any anti-virus/spyware checker on my Windows box for well over a year and haven't had problems. Not to mention that todays processors are so fast and RAM so plentiful, that (if you choose to run them) anti-virus programs etc do not impact performance at all when running in the background.

Then something is wrong with your Powermac. I play YouTube all day on my 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook and its just as good as my MacBook Pro.

Suppose you're referring to standard def content? Simply, there is absolutely no way you can run HD flash content of any kind of a PB and get acceptable performance of any kind.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks everyone.

The reason that I want a Powerbook is because of the design. I have the HP G62, and whilst it's a brilliant machine performance-wise, I just can't get over the plasticky feel of the laptop. Guess I've been spoilt by all my other Apple stuff. :p

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
heavy but beautiful , i even would go as far as saying the powerbook g4 alu 12" is the best looking laptop on the market and for me that compensates for the inability to play at 720p or 1080p and everything else just works fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.