Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
I can't upgrade my iPhone to 4.1 because it's says the update server is not available or can't be reached...is this and apple issue or a computer/Internet issue?? What do I do

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Helps to have some info. Can't help you at all with what you just posted.

1) What iPhone do you have? If it's the first iPhone, you aren't getting 4.1.
2) What iTunes version do you have?
3) What OS on your computer are you running?
4) Did you jailbreak previously? I remember part of some of the jailbreak processes was to change your hosts file to point to a non-apple server. You would need to remove that.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Ok, so to reiterate the flow here:
You go to itunes, click to update the phone, it downloads, then tries to do the update and THEN it gives you the can't contact update server message?

For some reason, you're having a problem getting to gs.apple.com from your computer. A lot of jailbreaks use a line in there to prevent iTunes from validating with the Apple servers. Not sure why it would be there if you wren't jailbreaking though. I don't have a mac, so can't help you in locating the file and looking at it, but you need to check your hosts file for gs.apple.com, just to make sure it is not there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.