Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellamohoracio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
why doesnt the new ipod touch have the compass app? it has a gyroscope so i dont see why it doesnt. also why doesnt the new headphones that come with the touch have a microphone?

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
Compass chip ≠ Gyroscope chip.
They are two different things.

I'm assuming they didnt put the iPhone headphones with the iPod touch because it's an iPod Touch, not an iPhone.

dhlee528

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Seattle
why doesnt the new ipod touch have the compass app? it has a gyroscope so i dont see why it doesnt. also why doesnt the new headphones that come with the touch have a microphone?

do you know what compass is? and what it does?

for second question, ask apple

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
1. A compass does not work like a gyroscope.

2. The iPod touch has a microphone built-in. It's an iPod; not an iPhone.

mellamohoracio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
i just think its stupid how apple discluded the full retina display of the iphone 4 and having 256mg of ram than 512mb and other things ike the compass just to maintain its thinness. honestly i dont give a crap about thinness.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Its not all about thinness. It's mostly about price. Those fancy things cost a lot of money.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
i just think its stupid how apple discluded the full retina display of the iphone 4 and having 256mg of ram than 512mb and other things ike the compass just to maintain its thinness. honestly i dont give a crap about thinness.

Apple sells an unlocked iPhone for $700.

Apple sells a regular iPod touch for $230.

You want a $700 device for $230. You're asking a little much, aren't you?

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
if you dont care about thinness, carry separate gadgets around with you for everything. Go grab a GPS unit, and iPod, a PSP and a digital camera.

256MB of RAM is enough. People got all hyped that it would have 512 like the iPhone 4, but you have to understand the price difference involved. To add 256 more RAM would rise the price even more above where it already sits over the previous generation.

Sadly, I have to agree about the screen though. It would have been nice to see it being IPS like the iPhone 4's screen.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
if you dont care about thinness, carry separate gadgets around with you for everything. Go grab a GPS unit, and iPod, a PSP and a digital camera.

256MB of RAM is enough. People got all hyped that it would have 512 like the iPhone 4, but you have to understand the price difference involved. To add 256 more RAM would rise the price even more above where it already sits over the previous generation.

Sadly, I have to agree about the screen though. It would have been nice to see it being IPS like the iPhone 4's screen.

I agree, guys 256mb RAM is plenty, look at your old 3G Touches, have you ever had any problems with opening multiple apps?

cpucrash0

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Texas
people who complain about this what they really are looking for is an Iphone 4 so why don't you who complain and want all these features get an iphone 4?

nemopaice

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
I don't know but some of these newer apps cause me to run out of memory. So it would be nice to have more. Who cares about the extra cost if we are willing to pay it. As for the iPhone, if I could get it with verizon then sure, but AT&T sucks. Another thing that the iPod lacks in is it's Bluetooth capabilities. I cant send files from my phone to the iPod or vice versa. Love the iPod but apple really don't hear the public like they would have us to believe. A lot of apple diehards will defend it regardless but there are way too many people that feel the same way to have certain things overlooked.

Just my two cents. Personally I got the iPod because I love apple products. But there are other devices coming out that will offer what apple won't. So to take an attitude of "well get an iPhone if you want those kinds of things", is a mistake. Not to mention a juvenile type of statement. Their 0.7 mp camera kinda sucks too. Plus claim HD video but it's really just stretched to fit that aspect ratio.

I have read, seen, and heard a lot of people that are starting to look elsewhere in order to satisfy their multi-tasking lifestyles. Which is what this feature thing is really all about; mutt-tasking. One device that will satisfy multiple needs. The phone part is great but not a selling point when your forced to choose only one cellular provider.

I am not and wouldn't suggest that they match iPhone features exactly, but at least meet half way and/or pay attention to what the competition is doing.

Last edited:

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I don't know but some of these newer apps cause me to run out of memory. So it would be nice to have more. Who cares about the extra cost if we are willing to pay it. As for the iPhone, if I could get it with verizon then sure, but AT&T sucks. Another thing that the iPod lacks in is it's Bluetooth capabilities. I cant send files from my phone to the iPod or vice versa. Love the iPod but apple really don't hear the public like they would have us to believe. A lot of apple diehards will defend it regardless but there are way too many people that feel the same way to have certain things overlooked.

Just my two cents. Personally I got the iPod because I love apple products. But there are other devices coming out that will offer what apple won't. So to take an attitude of "well get an iPhone if you want those kinds of things", is a mistake. Not to mention a juvenile type of statement. Their 0.7 mp camera kinda sucks too. Plus claim HD video but it's really just stretched to fit that aspect ratio.

I have read, seen, and heard a lot of people that are starting to look elsewhere in order to satisfy their multi-tasking lifestyles. Which is what this feature thing is really all about; mutt-tasking. One device that will satisfy multiple needs. The phone part is great but not a selling point when your forced to choose only one cellular provider.

I am not and wouldn't suggest that they match iPhone features exactly, but at least meet half way and/or pay attention to what the competition is doing.

What exactly is the competition doing? Name one Mp3 player that'll do all that the the touch will do.

ronster22

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009

The memory issues you see maybe a by-product of the 4G Retina Display; more pixels, more memory usage. 256MB may be fine on a device with 320 x 480 resolution, but I would think it's bare minimum for a device with 4 times the resolution.

More Bluetooth profiles would be nice, but now the 4G has a built in mic so no need for HFP. It would be cool to able to sync thru Bluetooth.

0.7MP for the camera is kinda crappy, but there was no camera for the previous gens, so there's no real standard to judge by (and you cant use iPhone as a benchmark as it's the premium device). I do agree I hope they add the 2.0MP sensor (from the iPhone 3G) for the 5G version.

I did want GPS and full Bluetooth and compass etc for this version. But let's face it, it's a 300 dollar PMP that's REALLY close (75 - 80% more like) to the premium PMP/phone that's 700 dollars.

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
The memory issues you see maybe a by-product of the 4G Retina Display; more pixels, more memory usage. 256MB may be fine on a device with 320 x 240 resolution, but I would think it's bare minimum for a device with 4 times the resolution.

More Bluetooth profiles would be nice, but now the 4G has a built in mic so no need for HFP. It would be cool to able to sync thru Bluetooth.

0.7MP for the camera is kinda crappy, but there was no camera for the previous gens, so there's no real standard to judge by (and you cant use iPhone as a benchmark as it's the premium device). I do agree I hope they add the 2.0MP sensor (from the iPhone 3G) for the 5G version.

I did want GPS and full Bluetooth and compass etc for this version. But let's face it, it's a 300 dollar PMP that's REALLY close (75 - 80% more like) to the premium PMP/phone that's 700 dollars.

All previous iPod touches have had 320x480 screens, not QVGA (240x320).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.