Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
I'm probably the only Mac user in this part of the Milky Way who will ask this, but,
I want to remove Game Center from MY 3G-S. Any way to do this? (underscores intentional).

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Apple thinks everyone wants to play games on their phone. Unfortunately like all their native apps, you can't delete them. Best you can do it put them in a folder out of the way.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I'm probably the only Mac user in this part of the Milky Way who will ask this, but,
I want to remove Game Center from MY 3G-S. Any way to do this? (underscores intentional).

No you're not - I want to get rid too.

It's there on all three of my phones running 4.0. Not sure what to tell you.

As I said above:

settings/general/restrictions

My 3GS is running 4.1 and the only thing I find in Restrictions related to Game Center is the ability to disable multi-player games, which doesn't hide the icon. GC doesn't appear in the Allow list - does it on yours?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
No you're not - I want to get rid too.

My 3GS is running 4.1 and the only thing I find in Restrictions related to Game Center is the ability to disable multi-player games, which doesn't hide the icon. GC doesn't appear in the Allow list - does it on yours?

It is not an option. I simply said to check and see if it was since I wD not running 4.1. I have since upgraded one of my phones just to check this out. You can't hide game center like you can YouTube.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I never said there was. I told the OP to check in case there was the option to hide it.
I initially said I'm not seeing a way to hide the game center app there (meaning in settings). Apparently my replies confused you.

ruben.1982

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Remove Game Center

Yes you can. You can de-activate Game Center by doing the following:
Open Settings > General > Restrictions (you need password)
Than scroll down list to <Game Center> > Multigamer settings and switch off...
As simple as that. I also found this very annoying the more because this Game Center does not at all look like it's coming from Apple. That's why at first I thought my iPod was hacked after I downloaded some App. and Game Center installed itself without even asking... Not much Apple like!

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Yes you can. You can de-activate Game Center by doing the following:
Open Settings > General > Restrictions (you need password)
Than scroll down list to <Game Center> > Multigamer settings and switch off...
As simple as that. I also found this very annoying the more because this Game Center does not at all look like it's coming from Apple. That's why at first I thought my iPod was hacked after I downloaded some App. and Game Center installed itself without even asking... Not much Apple like!

That doesn't remove Game Center. I tried that a few days ago.

Currently, there is no way to remove it at all.

chihao

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Remove Game center

If your phone is jailbroken, you can use iFile to navigate to /Application folder and delete the Gamecenter.app. Reboot , done!!!!

pavelinone

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Removing unwanted app(s) from iphone

Hi guys, It's possible. ios is a mac based operating system. The process of removing app(s) is same.

Use "iFunbox"(http://www.i-funbox.com) client and go to Applications(System) in left pane, then delete the "Game Center~iphone.app". Reboot your device.

DO NOT DELETE ANY OTHER APP(S), because it may cause harm to the operating system.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
If your phone is jailbroken, you can use iFile to navigate to /Application folder and delete the Gamecenter.app. Reboot , done!!!!

I'm not so sure that's a good idea, who knows what depends on the app to run in the iOS...

The safer approach is suggested above: just hide the icon with SBSettings. That way if some app needs it to run, you won't be screwed.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Hopefully hidden folders is an option in iOS 4.2. That, or Apple allows users to turn off certain apps (like how you can enable/disable the Nike+iPod app). Until then, you're only option is to put it in a folder and or put it as far back in your home screen pages as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.