Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleWizard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I was really excited about getting the iPod Touch 4g. I am in the process of selling my 2g and I have been without using an iPod Touch for about a week (I have an iPad). I also need my iPod Touch to review apps for my website and a couple of blogs that I write for.

So I pre-ordered one on the 2nd but ended up buying one in the Apple store on Thursday because I did not want to wait till the 15th.

The home button was mushy and pressed down, and there was slit of light shining through where the bezel meets the screen. So I brought it back this morning and they happily replaced it with a new one.

Smartly, I checked the iPod in the car to avoid coming back in case there were more problems. Within 1 minute of checking, although the home button was better, the slit of light was there as well. Granted, it was much smaller.

So I went back into the Apple store and they found that the same slit of light was on their device as well. So I let them convince me that it would not hurt my device and it would probably be on all of them. Like I said, I needed my iPod for reviews, so I decided I would deal with it.

I got home and I took some pictures with the iPod. Then I decided to take a video. The quality is great! But when I played it back I could hear annoying clicking noises like someone had described in another thread.

When I turn the volume all of the way down, the system sounds (slide to unlock, keyboard clicks, etc.) played at FULL volume.

Those are the main problems. There are other things I can deal with. For example, I find it pretty annoying how the volume buttons and the power button rest on the curve of the device. This means that you have to practically put your fingers on the back of the iPod to reach them, rather than the side of the device. The speaker is great quality, but the position is where I usually hold the device, so I accidentally muffle the sound.

Because of these reasons and a few others, I am returning my iPod Touch as soon as I get the chance. I am 14 years old, and $230 is simply too much to spend on a faulty device.

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
This is nothing but an ad for your stupid site.

Please explain kindly as to why is it supposedly an advert for his so-called "stupid" website?

I've visited the website concerned, and from what I can see, the Thread OP has a valid point seeing as there's been a lot of other complaints in this very forum about the latest iPod Touch having all kinds of problems from light leakage to batteries draining faster than they should do!:mad:

Look at it this way; the Thread OP is only 14 and he said that to him $230 is a lot of money to spend on a product that clearly isn't fit for what it's supposed to do.

Over here in the UK, we have laws against products which are clearly not as advertised as well as not working properly (that, plus we have consumer protection TV shows like Watchdog who would definitely be on Apple's case as they were yesterday over Apps for children that were supposedly free but charged for things like added extras).

I clearly think he's got a valid right to complain about his faulty iPod Touch as well as the others who've complained on this forum about their faulty iPod Touches.

I confess this concerns me greatly and I'm seriously tempted to buy a 3rd Gen one instead when the second-hand prices go down a bit more and wait until next year for a better version to come out.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
This is nothing but an ad for your stupid site.

Agreed. I mashed abuse on this. There is zero excuse for linking out to your own site like this. It's known as spam.

P.S. No problems with light leaks on me. Sorry it's not working out for the OP.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
I was really excited about getting the iPod Touch 4g. I am in the process of selling my 2g and I have been without using an iPod Touch for about a week (I have an iPad). I also need my iPod Touch to review apps for my website and a couple of blogs that I write for.

So I pre-ordered one on the 2nd but ended up buying one in the Apple store on Thursday because I did not want to wait till the 15th.

The home button was mushy and pressed down, and there was slit of light shining through where the bezel meets the screen. So I brought it back this morning and they happily replaced it with a new one.

Smartly, I checked the iPod in the car to avoid coming back in case there were more problems. Within 1 minute of checking, although the home button was better, the slit of light was there as well. Granted, it was much smaller.

So I went back into the Apple store and they found that the same slit of light was on their device as well. So I let them convince me that it would not hurt my device and - continue reading here-

sucks to be an ultra-perfectionist.

AppleWizard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Agreed. I mashed abuse on this. There is zero excuse for linking out to your own site like this. It's known as spam.

P.S. No problems with light leaks on me. Sorry it's not working out for the OP.

Link Removed- Happy Now?

Why is everybody hating on me? Are you saying you would be fine if your $230 device had a slit of light shining through side, broken system sound, and amongst other things, video with annoying clicks?

Guiguiga

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale - FL
Where exactly is the light leaking? Would you be able to post a picture? About the battery draining too fast... Well I noticed it too, but I don't know what is acceptable right now. Thanks

AppleWizard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Where exactly is the light leaking? Would you be able to post a picture? About the battery draining too fast... Well I noticed it too, but I don't know what is acceptable right now. Thanks

Light is leaking on the upper left. I realized after viewing another thread that it is being caused by an upset in the screen. The top left corner of the screen is raised above the face of the iPod, and so light is leaking out. the screen moves up and down when press on it. I think I ave learned not to purchase an Apple Product when it is first released. Then again that sounds stupid, because half the excitement is being the one of the first to get one :) See how Apple controls my mind....

AppleWizard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
The clicking sound u can fix by turning the Wi-Fi off. I know it's annoying but that's the only solution there is to it!

That really isnt acceptable. I am returning it and I will consider purchasing it once everything is fixed. Judging by the way Apple dealt with the iPhone 4, I doubt they are going to do anything except give out duct tape to cover up the light. lol

For now I will cancel my eBay auction for my old iPod and sticking with that. And I worked so hard on designing that auction too :(

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
The way you fix the sound effects at full volume hiccup you mentioned is to go into Settings > Sounds and change "Change with Buttons" setting to the "ON" position or slide the bar to the desired volume on there.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I returned my first unit for light leaking as well, I had posted this in the forum last night and many others have reported the same issue. After Googling I found a thread on another site (with pictures inside it) from someone else who had returned two units with the same problem. I'm beginning to think their's a lot of faulty units out there. My second one has a few stuck pixels and for $500 that's unacceptable.

It's not about being an "ultra perfectionist", we pay a premium for Apple products and deserve to have the highest quality. If light is shining from the sides it means it's not properly sealed, meaning moisture and dust particles can seep underneath the screen.

I'm a huge Apple fan and a big fan of this touch but the build quality so far is disappointing.

Here's the link to my original thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1011807/

Another one on this forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1011083/

The one on another forum with user pictures: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=310621

AppleWizard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I returned my first unit for light leaking as well, I had posted this in the forum last night and many others have reported the same issue. After Googling I found a thread on another site (with pictures inside it) from someone else who had returned two units with the same problem. I'm beginning to think their's a lot of faulty units out there. My second one has a few stuck pixels and for $500 that's unacceptable.

It's not about being an "ultra perfectionist", we pay a premium for Apple products and deserve to have the highest quality. If light is shining from the sides it means it's not properly sealed, meaning moisture and dust particles can seep underneath the screen.

I'm a huge Apple fan and a big fan of this touch but the build quality so far is disappointing.

Here's the link to my original thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1011807/

Another one on this forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1011083/

The one on another forum with user pictures: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=310621

Agreed. I am returning mine tomorrow and I am not getting another one. I feel that the older 2nd gen is of better quality. I can deal without the camera. It wasn't great anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.