Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Which interface would you prefer in combination of aesthetics and usefulness?

Old AppleTV with plastic, aluminium or tv remote, or iPhone/iPod Touch Remote.app

New AppleTV with AirPlay and movies needed to be stored on iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, which means you'll also here use these devices like a remote

New Mac mini with Front row, Plex or Cover flow in iTunes/Finder, with Griffin Powermate or Magic Trackpad to control if possible, or alu remote?

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Not a big fan of the remote app really, although it does help if you need to type stuff. I like appletv with IR remote- can't wait to get the new model delivered!

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Is Remote.app the same as Remote learning with iPhone/iPod Touch in the ATV menu, if not how does the latter work (since it has no buttons)?

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Oh I see. So Remote.app gives you get a list of the content, but no pictures or fancy graphics? Can you see any change on the :apple:TV screen when doing anything on the Remote.app, like selecting a movie, but not play it? Does the Remote learning turn the iPhone to a virtual d-pad?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Remote.app shows you album and movie artwork (on the iPhone) and navigation is live on the Apple TV (when using the gesture pad feature) just like the remote.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Oh, in that case I might buy one to try, thought it displayed just text.

Does anyone have Magic Trackpad and know if it's programmable? I tried it in iTunes, but since it's like a mouse you must hold one finger down on coverflow's bar before you can swipe. I would rather prefer doing it without finger pressed, in full screen mode that would be like a gigantic iPod Touch. Unless there's some mouse gesture setting in iTunes that would probably require programming it to simulate left/right keys instead of the mouse.

With my Powermate I can rotate the knob to select movie in Cover flow, which is quite nice, except that cover flow doesn't display meta data for movies like Frontrow do. For Frontrow I can't get it to work at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.