Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I've been using Handbrake to convert all my movie DVDs to my Mac and have found a RF setting of 18 on the constant quality seems to be a solid setting for most films. However, the TV shows aren't coming across as well...does anyone have a good configuration for ripping TV shows off DVDs? ...or perhaps its just that they are poorer quality to begin with.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I've been noticing there are horizontal lines in South Park when there's certain movement, even w/ their mouths when talking (white lines on the black mouths). Any idea what that is (other than compression?) and anyone have settings for Handbrake that they're happy w/ for TV shows?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I've been noticing there are horizontal lines in South Park when there's certain movement, even w/ their mouths when talking (white lines on the black mouths). Any idea what that is (other than compression?) and anyone have settings for Handbrake that they're happy w/ for TV shows?
Sounds like interlacing. You need to set handbrake to deinterlace the video, or set the decomb setting to on.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Sounds like interlacing. You need to set handbrake to deinterlace the video, or set the decomb setting to on.

We have a winner! That was it, now I'm getting a great transfer. Do you always have the decomb setting on? Just wondering if it would be useful in the transfer of movies or not. It sure makes a huge difference on South Park rips.
Thanks for the tip!

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
We have a winner! That was it, now I'm getting a great transfer. Do you always have the decomb setting on? Just wondering if it would be useful in the transfer of movies or not. It sure makes a huge difference on South Park rips.
Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome. :) You only need to turn it on for interlaced content. Most mainstream Hollywood DVD movies are recorded in progressive, so you don't need to set decomb on. Even many recent TV shows DVDs are recorded in progressive. The notorious culprits for interlaced content are usually old/non-mainstream/foreign movies and cartoons.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Is there a way to tell if a disc is interlaced or progressive before you start ripping? ...I couldn't see anything on the cover. Be very time saving if there is. I'd like to go back and redo any discs that could benefit from this.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Is there a way to tell if a disc is interlaced or progressive before you start ripping? ...I couldn't see anything on the cover. Be very time saving if there is. I'd like to go back and redo any discs that could benefit from this.

Just keep the decomb filter on for all your encodes. Handbrake will only deinterlace if it detects interlacing, so there's no harm in keeping the filter on at all times just in case. But in general, television shows - especially older ones - tend to be interlaced. Most movies aren't, but some are. You can tell if you play the disc or the rip (before you encode) on your computer and you see the lines. They won't appear on television screens because tv's have decomb filters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.