Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0wnage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Was just wondering, I recently bought a DLO Car Charger, and was wondering a few things.

-Are DLO Car Chargers 'smart' car chargers?
-Do car charges (DLO) do damage to iPhone batteries?
-Is there any reason why I should avoid using a car charger?

Thanks in advance guys!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Was just wondering, I recently bought a DLO Car Charger, and was wondering a few things.

-Are DLO Car Chargers 'smart' car chargers?
-Do car charges (DLO) do damage to iPhone batteries?
-Is there any reason why I should avoid using a car charger?

Thanks in advance guys!

Is this a serious question? I got my car charger from a Circle K for $9 and it works great.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Your cigarette lighter outlet is on a protected circuit.

That's what fuses are for--to protect electronic items and your car's electrical system.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Been using the same iPhone charger that I got from AT&T with my 3GS and it hasn't done anything negative, so yes, car chargers are fine.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
yup just don't get a cheapy ebay one

best buy has this micro usb charger, I love it, only $15

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=489424

it pretty much sits flush inside your cigarrate charger

attachment.php

but you need to supply your own e 30 pin to usb cable

mproudfoot

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I use the Schosche dual-usb charger in my car and while it's not the smallest charger out there, it charges two iPhones or an iphone and an iPad at the same time quite happily - when I don't need to be charging the iPad, I find the iPad outlet seems to charge the iPhone a lot quicker than the 1amp port.

Also, is it just me or does ItsJustafnPhone's screen look knackered in that screenshot above?

shane777

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
i m using same charger given by AT&T no problems so far...

I think car chargers are safe :):)

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Been using the same iPhone charger that I got from AT&T with my 3GS and it hasn't done anything negative, so yes, car chargers are fine.

I have had the same charger (it also has a USB port) for almost two years. No problems. Also, at the same time, I can charge both my iPad and iPhone.

However, a car nerd friend told me, when my vehicle was not running, it was better if I didn't leave the charger in the socket. I guess it's not good for the car's battery?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
D-LO chargers work fine for your phone. I used one with my 3G however I'm not sure if it'll work the same for an iPhone 4. I had numerous issues with the D-LO chargers blowing their fuse. It happened to me about 5-6 times. Eventually I got sick of it and bought a Griffin charger instead. There was no damage to my battery on my 3G after using the car charger so you're safe there. As far as needing/using a car charger, that's up to you however it does come in handy every once in awhile. I will recommend that you not get a cheap charger off eBay as those will most likely cause some damage to your phone battery from my experiences.

seifer333

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
just like what everybody is saying, my rule of thumb is do not order cheap knockoffs for anything electric related (batteries, chargers, etc). Go for the typical brand names (belkin, etc) and you should be safe.

drkash

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
UK
yup just don't get a cheapy ebay one

best buy has this micro usb charger, I love it, only $15

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=489424

it pretty much sits flush inside your cigarrate charger

attachment.php

but you need to supply your own e 30 pin to usb cable

Is this the same as this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Micro-USB-Adaptor-F8Z445EA/dp/B002C3AFHG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Its name suggests micro USB so will this work with the iphone 4? Will the iphone's mains charger lead fit and work ok?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I use the Schosche dual-usb charger in my car and while it's not the smallest charger out there, it charges two iPhones or an iphone and an iPad at the same time quite happily - when I don't need to be charging the iPad, I find the iPad outlet seems to charge the iPhone a lot quicker than the 1amp port.

Also, is it just me or does ItsJustafnPhone's screen look knackered in that screenshot above?

I scored an older model Schoshe that is very similar for $8.00 from Amazon. One of my best scores for functionality versus price. The Schoshe was necessary given that ones with built in cords don't fit Apple's Bumper.

clads01

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I've been using an Incase car charger for my iPhone 4 and I have no problems. It even is a 2amp charger so it charges my iPhone verrrry quickly :)

seifer333

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010

True but at least you can return your defective products and they will honor your purchase. I have more confidence in a brand company in the way they QA their products. Even though they all come from China but at least you know they will stand by their products.

If you buy a dud online you most likely won't get your money back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.