Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
I use stickies all the time, but there has to be something better out there! more features or better? Does anyone know a good alternative to the stock Stickies Mac app?

demingy

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
It would be much easier to help if we knew what features you're looking for, but I'll tell you what I use in place of what I used to use Stickies for - Notational Velocity.

I used to use Stickies for the various little notes that I wanted to keep on hand, but it started to get out of control. When I heard about Notational Velocity I realized it was perfect for what I was doing. It's made for little notes, and what's even better is that you can search your notes. I've been using it for little things like instructions on how to do something on my phone that I'm not able to get to right away, wishlists for apps that I read about in various forums, and various tidbits. Added bonus, it's free.

Now I just use Stickies for the little reminder note that I want to keep on my desktop until I'm able to get to it.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
Hey demingy... Notational Velocity seems ok. I do like how Stickies does have separate windows (separate sticky notes). So i can do a sticky for job stuff, to do list, meetings, etc. I did see an app a month ago online that sat on the left side of the screen. It was 1 big window that was separated horizontally by different colors for each thing. you could mark tasks done and stuff. But as of right now, it seems like i will be using Notational Velocity

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I use and really like Shovebox. It's powerful yet simple, although it doesn't display its notes on the desktop, if that's something you need. Of course, I'm not sure whether it's worth $25. I got it as part of a bundle

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Stickies is pretty much all it needs to be, for what it's designed to do.

My only request would be make the stickies more visually attractive... like they look in the application logo :)

khax

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
About stickies

Well, I remember I used an very old version of stickies on Mac about 10 years ago.
the features I would appreciate are the following :
- possibility to change the size of each note
- possibilité to enrich the text : Bold, italic, underline, etc.
- possibility to scroll inside a note.

I will try the alternative mentionned in this thread and report back

Anxiety is just a Todo list. Can't write notes

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
- possibility to change the size of each note
- possibilité to enrich the text : Bold, italic, underline, etc.
- possibility to scroll inside a note.

You can already do all of that with the current Stickies.app :confused: There are no scroll bars though.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I don't know if we are speaking about the same app : I was refering to Dashboard Sticky in Leopard.

Oh, I see! I was thinking of the full-fledged Mac app.

Attachments

• stickies.png
    stickies.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 3,416

khax

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
My bad - I was referring to the wrong app

I was referring to dashboard Stickies allowing to write notes (stickies) in the dashboard.

It is very useful since you don't have your stickies alla round your screen. I have looked at the Stickies App, and it allows everything I need. Except it is not a dashboard application.

I have also tried simpleNote, which is a true dashboard widget, that can be synchronised with your iphone. But I don't feel very confortable with storing bank details to an external web service.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
SpiralBound seems just like Stickies to me. What are the big differences that it has.

My bugaboo with Stickies was/is if you run multiple monitors and have notes meticulously arranged on any but the primary display, if you restart your Mac, the notes all get moved to the primary display. Spiralbound notes stay where you put them - even on multiple monitors after a restart.

ILLskILL

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Deleted my Mac Stickies App :(

Hello, I deleted my app accidentally, I'm still using OSX Snow Leopard.
I can not for the life of me find the App for download again, I want to put it back.

I have my stickies database file, which holds all of my notes from 2008 - 2013... I need to put the original Snow Leopard Stickies App back onto my computer

can anyone please help me? Where do I download the stickies app? :(

Thank you everyone. :(:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.