Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I took my iPad to work today, my manage saw the iPad and asked me if I knew that our area had a secret WiFi network.

I had no clue. He took my iPad and connected to the hidden network and input the password too.

Both him & I were online w/ the iPad for at least half the day..

My question here is......how can I see what the password is on my iPad, so that w/ my iPod Touch I can connect it to that same hidden WiFi network?

I'm pretty sure my boss won't give me that info..the network is solely for when work laptops need internet, but no one uses WiFi at work cause there are ethernet cables everywhere...but the WiFi still exists (though hiddenly) at work.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is no way to find out what the network password is. You can see what it's called by opening the Settings app and going to WiFi while connected to the network.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
what's the use of password if when you can see it by using a program so easily.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Well...if the situation was taking place w/ my MBP then i'd eaily be able to go and see it in the keychain access, considering it's my computer...

There has to be a way, there has ta!

JDNGuru

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Yeah. A lot of companies have non-visible networks. My old company did. I had a friend in IT who hooked me up to the non-visible network and I was on the WiFi all the time on my iPhone. Lol.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
copy and paste

no

BTW: Dude if you want to keep your job then don't even start to obtain a password through "sketchy" methods and DO NOT put unautherized gadget on the companies web. Some companies are very allergic to this and they fire YOU not the manager.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
no

BTW: Dude if you want to keep your job then don't even start to obtain a password through "sketchy" methods and DO NOT put unautherized gadget on the companies web. Some companies are very allergic to this and they fire YOU not the manager.

Very true. Absolutely best advice.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You are inside the network, you can generate enough "good" packages to crack WEP and even WPA, which I am pretty sure that is what they are using if your boss all it did was to enter the "password"

Google Kismac, it will do it for you in a day (just a few minutes if they are using WEP), if they got a strong WPA password it may take you few days to capture enough packages.

That said, you should take the advice mentioned before, that is ground for termination pretty much anywhere, not to mention a Federal Crime if the Company regulation state it as a violation (which most companies do).

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
no

Well, at we're allowed to be on our phones and laptops all day long, even when helping customers out. The only thing is that the majority of people has smartphones connected to 3G. Most people has iPhones and I have an Android Smartphone...

..I wouldn't get fired if they knew I was doing this; this isn't that big of a situation.....but...

Why not just ask your boss if you can have the password or if he can enter it onto your device?

Only the boss and his best friend (the manager) know the PW...

I'm at work just hanging out with no internet on my iPod Touch while everyone else is on their iPhone or Blackberry surfing the web away...:( (yes i'm on my android phone but I'm a bigger fan of the iOS stuff than android)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
no

+1 there is no way to hide yourself on a network either no matter what ANYONE tells you. (You can make yourself more difficult to find, but you can still be found). Putting another device on is not recommended. People at my workplace have been fired because we found them putting personal machines on the network.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Lol I can see this thread violating not just MR policy pretty soon...that said if you do get it don't abuse it or go spreading the love all around the office. It happened some kid cracked the code told one person and a month later everyone was on wifi lol. Now my school uses WPA2-Enterprise...lol got the directional antenna set up at my house with the code cracker going...it's been about a month...lol jk jk. But seriously if you abuse it you will get in trouble not to mention they will start MAC Address filtering with WPA2 and that will really suck eggs.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
If you tell your boss that you have a limited data plan and would like to be able to use the wifi at work and promise not to give it out to anyone, he might give it to you...I just don't see why he would tell you about it and put it on your iPad and then say no to the iPod. He might not share the password but he would probably be willing to type it in for you.

Our company got wifi and encourages us to use it over our 3g because then they can monitor everything we do from our cellphones.

Or just keep bringing your iPad that already has the password stored to work and use that instead.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
So as it turns out, I went in to work today with my MBP..

Tried to connect forever, attempting to figure out a password with no luck.

After a while the manager comes in, i tell him i brought my mac to check my university email and told him i needed to log into the network.....

Long story short...turns out the hidden network didn't have a password, it was just hidden. So i connected and all is good.

:D

qliu34

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
LOL @ corp security = hidden open wireless network.

So as it turns out, I went in to work today with my MBP..

Tried to connect forever, attempting to figure out a password with no luck.

After a while the manager comes in, i tell him i brought my mac to check my university email and told him i needed to log into the network.....

Long story short...turns out the hidden network didn't have a password, it was just hidden. So i connected and all is good.

:D

AppleSauron

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Answer guaranteed

I had a similar problem but what I did was visited 192.168.1.1
I gave "admin" as both username and password
Poked around a bit and voila, under the wireless tab, found the wep key
Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.