Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rolex Freak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Hello Friends,

This is my first time posting. I'm not sure if this is actually a problem or not, but when someone leaves me a message, a don't see a voice mail notification to let me know that the person left a message or that a message is there to be retrieved. Excuse me ignorance as I'm not totally up to speed with the phone yet.

Thanks in advance.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
This just happened to me!

My iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0.2, hasn't shown any new voicemails recently then today I purchased a new iPhone 4. After setting up the voicemail password, it brought up a bunch of new voicemails that were a few weeks old. And although my iPhone did show me a record of recent calls, I thought they were wrong numbers because I hadn't recognized the numbers. The phone didn't even let me know I had new voicemails from those numbers.

Rolex Freak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
This just happened to me!

My iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0.2, hasn't shown any new voicemails recently then today I purchased a new iPhone 4. After setting up the voicemail password, it brought up a bunch of new voicemails that were a few weeks old. And although my iPhone did show me a record of recent calls, I thought they were wrong numbers because I hadn't recognized the numbers. The phone didn't even let me know I had new voicemails from those numbers.

Thanks, but my voicemail is already set up. Just when someone leaves me a message it doesn't notify me that I have one. I'm told I have to set up virtual voicemail, but can't figure out how to do this.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Mine had been setup as well, almost two years. My point was, that my iPhone 3G had not shown that I had new voicemails waiting to be heard. It wasn't until I activated my account on the new iPhone 4 that they showed up.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I just spoke with AT&T and got my voicemail issue resolved. Ended up having to "Reset All Settings". Then connect to iTunes and do a save to backup. Apparently the backup that I used from my iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.2 that put all my info on my new iPhone 4, somehow uses the old iOS 3 voicemail settings. The AT&T rep said they see this all the time and this will fix the issue. So even though I have to put all my passwords back in again, my voicemail now works correctly.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Stopped getting my voicemail again! Now there's a red dot on the icon and I have No Service showing.

Aw come on!

j.sizzzler

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
I just spoke with AT&T and got my voicemail issue resolved. Ended up having to "Reset All Settings". Then connect to iTunes and do a save to backup. Apparently the backup that I used from my iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.2 that put all my info on my new iPhone 4, somehow uses the old iOS 3 voicemail settings. The AT&T rep said they see this all the time and this will fix the issue. So even though I have to put all my passwords back in again, my voicemail now works correctly.

There's a thread from about a year ago that has a similar but I believe safer solution:

"go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

You won't lose your tethering, if you have that, and voicemail will function properly again!"

So you shouldn't have to reset ALL settings, just network settings. I just discovered this problem on my 3GS, voicemail notifications hadn't been working for about 4 weeks. After installing iOS 4.1 I saw 25 new voicemails. Very annoying.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I reset all settings, but this time it didn't fix the problem. Then after I went outside with my iphone, my cell service came back and my new voicemails showed back up. I am about ready to update to iOS 4.1 and hope this fixes the issue for good.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
It happened again to me several times this morning. That makes 2 days in a row. If I shut off my iPhone's Wifi then the cell network goes from 1 bar up to 4 bars yet I can't connect via 3G or Edge. My voicemail shows as unavailable and eventually the 4 bars go to No Service. When I turn the iPhone off and on again then I get the cell network at 1 bar with 3G. Getting 1 bar is normal for inside my house, so when I get that then I know I really am connected. Sometimes this procedure doesn't work and I have to reset my network settings.

This is really getting frustrating because I miss calls and voicemails. AT&T thinks it's the phone and Apple thinks it's AT&T. We have another iPhone 4 and it is not doing this at all. I am thinking it's the phone but will try resetting the sim card next.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
This issue is happening to me yet again! I am on the phone with AT&T right now because when I shut off Wifi my iphone keeps saying, No Service.

UPDATE: After an hour long troubleshooting call with AT&T, they felt my sim card needed to be replaced. After doing this at my local AT&T store, my phone seems fixed now. But will see now long it lasts. If this problem pops up again I will be going to Apple and have them replace my iPhone 4 with a new one, since I am still within the 30 day warranty.

LATEST UPDATE: It happened again! Voicemail unavailable and unable to connect to the cellular network.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Today I replaced my iPhone 4 at the Apple store, they were really good about it and seemed to have heard about my problem. The cell network is working great again and my Voicemails are showing up. All is good again!

ltraxler

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
4.1 Fix

I had this issue for about a month with my 3GS, and nothing AT&T advised could fix it. I just upgraded my software to 4.1 yesterday, and my visual notification is working again.

Calico

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
Voicemail on iPhone 4S

I don't know if you are having the same problem I was: with the little voicemail icon not showing a red dot when you have a new voicemail.

I am in the UK and on the Orange network.

All I had to do to fix it was call voicemail, choose option 3 for 'settings' and set 'new message alerts to on' by pressing 2.

That has sorted the problem for me.

Hope that helps :)

Clare
Bolton, England

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.