Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xonomox

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Time?

How much time does it really take to plug those things in, 15 seconds? I have power, usb, audio, dvi just laying on my desk strapped together, plugging them in is maybe 2 or 3 seconds at most per cable.... albeit a dock would still be nice.

Mycatisbigfoot

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
My setup

Well to save space and have quicker using time, I have a small cabenet thats on wheels,
it hold my
16Pot Network hub
7Port usb hub (hooked to laptop)
My 320GB nas
my 750 GB Fire wire drive
my I-pod cloection, and some other things
and then on the top I have the apple unversal Dock (I-pod)
and then next to that is my mac book, with all of my cords

Power,
Cat 5 (gig)
Display (VGA)
Fire Wire
Usb

I just boot the computer then close the lid and then start to work on what ever, and then just do what ever,

Oh crap this thread is like 3 years old SUPER BUMP!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
On my two desks (work and home) I have made wire bundles that put the monitor cable, ethernet cable, usb cable and magport cable all in the exact right spot (I'm not using Firewire). The bundles are held together with zip ties.

Previously I had an IBM Thinkpad with a docking station. I find that connecting my Mac to my wire bundles is about the same speed as docking/undocking my Thinkpad... and a heck of a lot more reliable.

If you do a good job... the connectors will be sitting there all ready to just plug in. They will be oriented correctly and directly facing the proper ports. Sometimes my Magsafe power adapter is already plugged in by itself by the time I get to that side of the laptop.

To do a good job... plug everything in first. Make sure that the cables are not twisted...and then just zip tie them together. Trivial.

/Jim

de re

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Bookendz breaks laptop's ports

I bought a Bookendz docking station for a previous Mac laptop and broke 2 ports on the laptop. The lever that plugs in the ports gives you a larger mechanical advantage than one might think. Apple would have charged me for a whole new motherboard so I just bought a new laptop

mayostard

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
it ain't perfect

I just wanted to post a minor defense of the Bookendz docks. First off, as far as I can tell, they're the only option if you want a docking station, since Apple apparently refuses to make on.

Second, the one I have (for an early 2008 model 15" MacBook Pro) actually works quite well. It is very solid and hasn't caused any damage to my MacBook in over a year and a half of daily use.

That said, you do need to follow the directions that come with it. First off, it requires a period of break-in where the connecters adjust to the exact placement of the ports on your MacBook.

Also, I noticed that someone earlier complained about the amount of force the lever applies. It clearly states in the instructions that the lever is NEVER supposed to be used to attach the dock. It is only for detaching it. To attach you have to push it together by hand. Yes, this is janky, but it does ensure you don't apply too much force and damage anything.

Anyway, it certainly isn't as good as using a single-connector dock, but it does work and saves time and cable tangles.

speedyvespa

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
I'd have one of those Doc-A-Mac things in a heartbeat, were it not for the fact that there isn't one (yet) for the MBP... AND apparently they're built in the USA, priced in dollars but not available to the USA, Europe only? Hmmm....

And there is no contact information - no phone #, email, nada.

Scam?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Can't get it to work... Sad (the link i mean)

Anyways. How bout something for the 17inch?

Oh also not to get off topic... I saw someone had a way to connect there Powerbook to there car and I was hoping to do the same with a MBP. Any suggestions or am I just SOL at the moment? I was hoping for a dock of some sort that sat infront of my console center (where my radio and junk is).

Whoa 300... Nevermind.. thats nuts... And seems like it'd take along time to connect anyways...

ttp://www.bookendzdocks.com/Current_Docking_Station-Docking_Station_for_13_Unibody_Apple_Macbook_Pro.html

The Zemno one is my pick.

DeadSoulive

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Buffalo, Ny
Just bought a henge dock for my 15-inch MacBook Pro. Here is a video unboxing and a short review of it. Overall it is pretty nice, and at $65 it the most affordable solutions I've seen.

All the cords are included for $65? The website makes it seem as though the cords are extra. This seems very useful for docking the MBP and connecting it to a HDTV... Anyone found any problems with Hengedocks..?

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I just use this. It's a powered usb hub & ethernet adapter. I combine that with this ($2) for audio. If you need video, just add something like this. It's all modular, cheaper than a dock, and stored neatly and out of sight under my desk thanks to a USB extension cable. If one thing breaks I can just buy that one component instead of having to buy an entire new dock. If you need more usb ports for hard drives, keyboard, mouse, etc, just get another $10 USB hub and plug it into one of the ports on this one. Altogether, when I get home I just plug in the magsafe and 1 usb cable and everything I need is plugged in, and I don't have some ugly plastic dock thing sitting on my desk all the time.

Last edited:

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
All the cords are included for $65? The website makes it seem as though the cords are extra. This seems very useful for docking the MBP and connecting it to a HDTV... Anyone found any problems with Hengedocks..?

To get all the plugs lined up perfectly is a mission. Not worth it in my opinion.

Thunderbolt is the way to go these days, when solutions arrive.

mknabster

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I know this is a really old thread now, but I just bought one of these for my 15in MBP for $15 at an auction, and it does what it needs to do, even though the VGA connector doesn't work, the USB ports don't provide enough power, and for some reason, my computer keeps having wireless problems. But overall, it's nice to streamline everything towards the back, but i would never pay the full retail for it.

Graemeruk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Dock for MacBook Pro

You should try the brand new KwikDock.. manages all your cables and there's an integrated iPhone , iPad, iPod dock and you can use your MacBook Pro open or closed . AND ITS PORTABLE http://www.kwikdock.com

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Since Apple displays have built in hubs and only require two cable connections, there is no need for a docking station. Apple would be canabalizing their display business to create one. The BookArc is not a doc but saves desktop space and is visually compatible with your MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.