Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
So my "other" section on the iphone is filling up rapidly. When you click on the iPhone in iTunes and look at the bottom, it has all the breakdown of what space you are using etc.

My other folder was at 2.7GB. I was told if you uncheck the apps, sync (deleting the apps off the phone), then recheck them and sync again (putting them back on) it will clear out some of your "other" usage. This is NOT the case.

Any idea how to clean this up at all? Just seems so much larger than other people's I have looked at.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Sure.

- Delete Contacts
- Delete Notes
- Delete Calendar Events
- Delete Saved E-Mails
- Delete Old Texts

It has nothing to do with apps, music, videos or photos - those are all saved under their own categories.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Sure.

- Delete Contacts
- Delete Notes
- Delete Calendar Events
- Delete Saved E-Mails
- Delete Old Texts

It has nothing to do with apps, music, videos or photos - those are all saved under their own categories.

Haven’t see you much on here. Nice to see you back.

Actually none of those could get the kind of “other” the OP is talking about. OP, are you jailbroke? If so, do you have Rock? Rock can lead to huge log files. If not jailbroke, then you might have had an error syncing music or pics, and they’re being reported as other. Resyncing may fix it.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Haven’t see you much on here. Nice to see you back.

Actually none of those could get the kind of “other” the OP is talking about. OP, are you jailbroke? If so, do you have Rock? Rock can lead to huge log files. If not jailbroke, then you might have had an error syncing music or pics, and they’re being reported as other. Resyncing may fix it.

I am jailbroke, and No, no rock. I use cydia. Is there any place in the phone itself via SSH I can clean this up? As soon as 4.1 jailbreak comes out I'll be doing a clean restore, but then will sync my apps, etc... think the problem would follow over with the sync?

Thanks.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Sure.

- Delete Contacts
- Delete Notes
- Delete Calendar Events
- Delete Saved E-Mails
- Delete Old Texts

None of this makes any difference at all. I wish it was that simple.

I mean a few hundred emails is only a couple MB's, texts would be even less... I'd have to be hoarding stuff from the past few years. :(

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I am jailbroke, and No, no rock. I use cydia. Is there any place in the phone itself via SSH I can clean this up? As soon as 4.1 jailbreak comes out I'll be doing a clean restore, but then will sync my apps, etc... think the problem would follow over with the sync?

Thanks.

I had a lot of other once from using Chronus. I used it a number of times, and didn’t realize it was dating the backups and just multiplying the space (especially from some movies I’d made). What JB apps do you have?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Everything installed from Cydia gets put under "other"

Did you install something to cache maps or something? That could use a lot of space

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
None of this makes any difference at all. I wish it was that simple.

I mean a few hundred emails is only a couple MB's, texts would be even less... I'd have to be hoarding stuff from the past few years. :(

Well, we are in the iPhone general section of the forum - not the iPhone Hacks section. Therefore my suggestions should be the only source of storage categorized under "Other". Guess that's what I get for being away for so long - I forgot to take into account all of the pertinent information that the OP would have left out, like Jailbreaking status.

The first ( and only ) time I jailbroke my iPhone I ended up with a crap load of "Other" storage. I had to do a complete restore and set up as a new phone to get my storage to categorize appropriately. Hopefully when you restore when the new JB comes out you'll be set.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Anytime I update, I ALWAYS restore to new, just something I like to do to streamline and clean things up. So it'll get taken care of then I suppose.

As far as apps I have, I can't discuss them unless I feel like getting all the "OMG you're going to hell" posts. But having it put all the apps under "other" I suppose makes some sense... still probably not where all my used space is coming from.

I mean, I suppose it's what is to be expected from jailbreaking. The only "JB" apps I have are cydia and then that...... yeah.... app.

It's almost acting sort of like a memory leak though, the other folder that is. It just slowly seems to grow lol.

Is there any folder inside the phone itself (via SSH) that you can take a peek into possibly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.