Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
Water got into the microphone and I thought I got it right away.

When I turned on my iPhone it looks like there is water under the display but everything is working ok. I shut off the iPhone and wrapped it in a towel.

Before I call Apple has this happened to any of you and is the phone ruined?

Thank you

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
just an FYI, water damage is not cover by Apple care, so if you indeed spilled water on the iPhone you are SOL.

(you can get a replacement for $200, sorry).

There is a moisture sensor on most of the openings of the iPhones, it will turn Red/Pink with Water or high moisture, if that is the case, You are not cover by the Warranty.

images

More info and pics on this thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/960435/

Edit: well, you may be in luck, they have seen to relaxed a bit about it, read here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1015868/

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
It's been in a ziploc bag with rice for 2 hours now. Weird how so little water got into the ear piece and it got all under the screen!

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
It's been in a ziploc bag with rice for 2 hours now. Weird how so little water got into the ear piece and it got all under the screen!

You need to keep it there for 24 to 48 hours if you want minimal damage

billinaz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Goodyear AZ.... for now.
I had some water under my screen, I let it sit in the bag of rice near the windowsil (it was really hot here)

It evaporated finally.....

I also removed the sim tray just to give the water more opportunity to evaporate....

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
So should I take it out of the rice bag tomorrow and turn it on and see if the water dried up? Plus I'm going to be pissed if the rice scratches the oleophobic coating... :(

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
So I turned it on this morning and the water is still there...

Is it 100% certain that apple will charge me $199?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

It's never 100% certain. It depends upon the mood/inclination of the genius you are dealing with at the Applestore--some have gotten free replacements in these cases.

However, its the *policy* that you must pay $199 to get a replacement as the result of water damage.

Captain Bozo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
You do realize that every time you turn the iphone on while there is still moisture present you are shooting yourself in the foot?

You need to leave it alone in the rice for at least a 48 hours. At this point you should think about just microwaving it to remove the moisture.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The only 100% certain thing is that you (and everyone else) will die some day, you may get lucky and get a nice manager to replace it, you may not, all we know is that Water damage is definitely NOT cover by Apple care, but it have been reports of free replacements.

At this point you should think about just microwaving it to remove the moisture.

@OP Please DO NOT MICROWAVE your iphone :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, If any you can use a conventional over (i did it once with a Blackberry even them i DO NOT recommend that), microwave will damage several internal components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.