Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evillageprowler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
NJ, USA
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the iPhone as a wifi hotspot and thus allow a laptop or even an ipt to access the internet through its data plan?

I know this is possible with other windows mobile-based smartphones.

EVP

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the iPhone as a wifi hotspot and thus allow a laptop or even an ipt to access the internet through its data plan?

EVP

i'd also like to know if this is possible. I think i've heard it been done before; i'll try to find the article.

ahh, found it: http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/tether-your-iphone

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

EVP

You can do it. There is a workaround and plenty of guides out there to do it. However, the downside is if AT&T finds out you are using your iPhone for tethering they can cut out your data plan as it violates the terms of the iPhone Data Plan.

Beleive me AT&T has been in the data service for over 20 years and they know whats is going on in their network. If you choose to tether, I would suggest to use it for the shortest time possible and only for an important issue or emergency issue.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
is it possible to tether using wifi and not the data plan?

i live in a dorm where wireless is not available. my friend's touch picks up wifi, but my mpb can't. possible?

evillageprowler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
NJ, USA
You can do it. There is a workaround and plenty of guides out there to do it. However, the downside is if AT&T finds out you are using your iPhone for tethering they can cut out your data plan as it violates the terms of the iPhone Data Plan.

Beleive me AT&T has been in the data service for over 20 years and they know whats is going on in their network. If you choose to tether, I would suggest to use it for the shortest time possible and only for an important issue or emergency issue.

So I guess this means that there will never be an official app for the iPhone that will allow me to turn it into a wifi hotspot, even though other phones (with other data plans) allow this.

I currently have an IPT and would like to occasionally have it access the Internet. I was hoping that I'd be able to use an iPhone for this purpose...

How would AT&T know? Something akin to mac addr sniffing?

EVP

faaflyer

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
iphone wifi answer

I heard today on TII Today in iphone podcast,
there is a app available thru cydia .
please listen to TII ephisode 113 for more info.:)
I believe from cydia you find a app/store called rock, then
download "myfi" its 9.95

UPDATE: PDANET is now available for the iphone, by june fabrics,
it will broadcast a wifi from the iphone. I used it on windows mobile phone, worked great.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
While this might seem cumbersome, you can also purchase a cheap Nokia phone and install a piece of software called JoikuSpot. It will turn your the Nokia into a wifi router and identify itself to the AT&T network as such. This way AT&T sees on the data connection to the phone, and not the clients behind the connection. Another option it to work in Finland where I currently am and have unlimited data with tethering for about 20 dollars a month. :)

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I avg about 2 1/2 GB of data used through tethering. I have always received the same bill. It has never gone up or changed in 6 months. As long as your not using it for your main download or using it to replace your home internet service then you should be good to go.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
I avg about 2 1/2 GB of data used through tethering. I have always received the same bill. It has never gone up or changed in 6 months. As long as your not using it for your main download or using it to replace your home internet service then you should be good to go.

Oh okay, hm, I was under the impression that they (AT&T) won't be putting a stop to that by charging people.
But perhaps they are just looking at your data usage as a whole, and if it isn't a huge bulge of data, they let you be.

8Limes

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
My friend also had a 10$ unlimited plan (1st Gen) but had to switch to unlimited for 25$ after the purchase of the iPhone 4. They honored his loyalty and they let him choose the grandfathered contract instead the 2GB limited for 20$. I had months where I downloaded more than 10GB and never heard anything from at&t either.

I am looking even into a way to hook up my iphone with a 3G router which again is hooked up to my home network. After all I do not need internet at home when I am not there. But as soon as I get home I would like just to hook up my phone with the 3G router and have a perfectly configured home network. I use pda.net for tethering at the moment, but this is not good enough of a solution for my devices. Once 4G will be available it is not even worth for me to keep comcast any longer for their internet either. But until then I have to pay for both anyway. I hope a solution will come soon, because the cradlepoint works with many other smartphones, except the iPhone. Maybe the Akuratek 3g router or other ones will work. I asked pda.net as well if they support 3G routers, but I have never heard from them although I made a few inquiries. TV is included in my maintenance fees of my apartment, but that I am fine with though. I would not want a dish anywhere near my place anyway, and most likely would not be allowed either. As long as you do not need https pda.net is even free to use. I still have an unregistered version and never had the need to buy one. But if it would work I would be happy to pay 29.99 for it.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

EVP

You have an iPhone with data plan but want to access the web on your ipt? Why not just search the web on your iPhone?

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Yes it can be done. Jailbreak + MyWi from Cydia = wifi tethering to any device. I've been using it for my iPad and several coworkers use it for their laptops to avoid all the "policies" in place at work that kill streaming video. I probably run 3 to 7 gigs a month, never had as much as a warning from AT&T and been doing this for nearly 2 years.

I turn it on when i get to work and let it run all day, 8 hours a day and it's never been an issue. I am still on the unlimited plan and stream Slingplayer to watch many sporting events such as golf and ESPN stuff daily.

Could AT&T cut me off? sure.. but my guess is unless I was running a bit torrent 24/7 they would rather just keep me paying them for their service vs canceling it because they believe I am tethering. Since the most recent update I get excellent speeds as well, 2 to 3mb down with only 2 or 3 bars in the office.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
It is possible. You basically have two choices. Get ripped off monthly, and use ATT's 'official' tethering, or jailbreak your phone and get MyWi from Cydia. When you look at it, going the 'official' route costs you a monthly charge, and plus, there's a quota on your bandwidth. If you opt to use MyWi, you pay 20 dollars up front and that's it. And the beauty of it is: if you already have an unlimited data plan, you don't have to downgrade it to get tethering like you would if you went through ATT.

It's your choice in the end, but in my honest opinion, going with ATT is a let down and a rip off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.