Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
When doing a reinstall before sending the G5 over, the server guy made the two 149.1 GB drives into an RAID. However, I only have 148.9 GB capacity available and 133.45 GB is left.

I have NEVER done a RAID setup before, so if someone can help me, it'd be most appreciated!

Thanks!

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
hmm, couple more details required iam afraid...

What raid card is it? and so the issue is you have 2 physical drives, both 150gb drives that have been raided (stripped? or for backup purposes) and you can only see one 150gb partition??

that would be the case if the raid has been setup as non stripped, backup array....

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
He probably set it as a RAID1 (redundancy), which means that your data is protected if a drive fails. If you want a RAID0 (speed increase/double the size of the smallest drive), you'll need to do a re-install and erase both discs and set them up in a RAID0 in Disc Utility (choose "striped" as your option).

EDIT: Also, there is likely no RAID card, he probably just used disk utility to set up the RAID. For almost any non-pro user, software RAIDs are fine, I've been using them for years.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
He probably set it as a RAID1 (redundancy), which means that your data is protected if a drive fails. If you want a RAID0 (speed increase/double the size of the smallest drive), you'll need to do a re-install and erase both discs and set them up in a RAID0 in Disc Utility (choose "striped" as your option).

EDIT: Also, there is likely no RAID card, he probably just used disk utility to set up the RAID. For almost any non-pro user, software RAIDs are fine, I've been using them for years.

Aww man! Really?! I can't just pop a OS X Install disk and change it? Urgh! Even if I have to do it via Linux, I'm totally up for changing things in command line.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Afraid it doesn't work like that, RAID (even software based) is integrating two drives. With a RAID1, you can remove the second drive and still have a working system, but you can't turn it into a RAID0 without erasing and reinstalling.

If you have an external you can use (a G5 can boot from Firewire or USB), what you CAN do is clone your system to the external, boot off of it, then just use disc utility to reformat the RAID to a RAID0 and clone the system back. Carbon Copy Cloner is what I ALWAYS suggest for this, I've used it dozens of times on my systems and it always works perfectly (plus drive size isn't important with CCC; you can clone a 1tb drive to a 200gb drive, provided you're using less than 180-190gb of the 1TB).

http://www.bombich.com/

(you should donate a couple bucks their way if it works for you, they're good folk who have been providing the software free for years! Not necessary to use it, just a nice gesture ;) )

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Afraid it doesn't work like that, RAID (even software based) is integrating two drives. With a RAID1, you can remove the second drive and still have a working system, but you can't turn it into a RAID0 without erasing and reinstalling.

If you have an external you can use (a G5 can boot from Firewire or USB), what you CAN do is clone your system to the external, boot off of it, then just use disc utility to reformat the RAID to a RAID0 and clone the system back. Carbon Copy Cloner is what I ALWAYS suggest for this, I've used it dozens of times on my systems and it always works perfectly (plus drive size isn't important with CCC; you can clone a 1tb drive to a 200gb drive, provided you're using less than 180-190gb of the 1TB).

http://www.bombich.com/

(you should donate a couple bucks their way if it works for you, they're good folk who have been providing the software free for years! Not necessary to use it, just a nice gesture ;) )

Thanks very much for that suggestion! It's just they gave me a free copy of CS3 pre-installed and I don't want to lose it.

The only problem would be that I have my external formatted for my Intel and have already two partitions...

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Well, you could just image the HDD on the G5 (you can actually just do this with disk utility) and save it to the Intel partition. Then reboot the G5, hold down T, and connect the G5 to the Intel via firewire, reformat the RAID using the Intel, then use CCC to clone the disk image...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Ok, I used CCC, the problem is that my G3 can use the Tiger disk, but the G5 can't see it?!

So, the other versions of OS X (Panther) can't see the Intel disks. I can load the Leopard clone on my MBP, so I know it isn't damaged. It's probably because the GUID is for Intel Macs.

By the way, you CAN'T boot G5's with USB drives.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Hm, sorry about that, I never tried, just assumed you could. But it's not necessary in this case:

(This seems more complicated than it actually is, I'm just laying everything out so that I don't assume you know to do something that you don't; apologies if it seems condescending in any way, just want to be thorough)

1. Use disc utility (or CCC) to create a disc IMAGE of your G5 hard drive. It's ok if the intel compy says the image won't be bootable, as you won't be trying to boot it from the intel mac. It's also ok if it give the generic "cannot boot from disk image" warning, as you won't be. The next couple steps will be based on Carbon Copy Cloner, but you CAN do this with Disk Utility if you want to.

2. Select your source disk (the G5, you can actually use the G5 to do this and just save the image to the USB drive or the Intel Mac if they're networked).

3. For your target disk, select "New Disk Image" and choose where you want to save it (the USB drive). I usually just leave the "Create read-only disk image" and leave the rest blank, it will automatically create one that is the size it needs to be. Choose where to save it (the USB drive, the Intel Mac, really anywhere you have the space, you'll be deleting it when you're done).

4. Let it run.

5. Grab a firewire cable and connect your G5 to either your G3 or (preferably) your Intel Mac.

6. Turn on the Intel Mac (if it isn't already on)

7. Reboot or boot up the G5 and hold down "T". Your G5 hard drive should now show up as a Firewire drive on your Intel mac.

8. Open disk utility on the Intel mac, choose the Firewire RAID (your G5 HDD)*

9. Select the RAID (not either of the individual drives, it should be the one that is selectable and the name will be your G5 start-up disc's name) and at the bottom choose "delete"--WARNING--this will be a destructive move, you will (in theory) not be able to recover the data from your drive, so I suggest also backing up any files in addition to cloning the drive. Probably unnecessary, but I am in the "better safe than sorry" school. :)

10. Now you should no longer have the RAID in your list. You can reformat the drives if you want, but it's not really necessary (if you reset the partitions, make sure you click "options" under the Volume Scheme table and set it to "Apple Partition"). Select either drive and choose RAID in the top menu. Add both G5 drives into the RAID by dragging and dropping them into the main window's box. Make SURE you use the G5s drives, as the next step will blank any drives you choose (if you're worried about safety, don't plug in the USB drive with the disc image until you're done with this step; OSX won't let you use the Intel boot drive to do this). Leave OSX (journaled) and choose "Striped RAID set". You can click "options" and set the strip size if you wish. For general purposes, 32k or 64k will suffice, especially for a boot drive.

11. Click "Create". Now you should have a RAID named whatever you named it.

12. Now you have your RAID0. All you have to do now is mount the USB drive that has the disc image (if you unmounted it), open Carbon Copy Cloner, and choose your disc image ("restore from disc image" and then navigate to where you saved it) as the source disc and your new RAID set as the Target. Let it run and then reboot your G5 and it should be exactly the same as it was, only the harddrive will be faster and twice as large!

*--The only caveat is that the RAID part of the set-up is assumed on my part; I assume that the Intel Mac will see the RAID (which is a reasonable assumption), but I don't have the parts to test that currently.

ALSO NOTE: While faster, RAID0 is twice as unreliable as a single drive, in that if one drive fails, it's the same as having a single drive fail, i.e., you lose all your data. If you use Time Machine on a separate drive, you should be decently protected, but I usually make a monthly or so backup of my hard drives just in case (steps 1-4), as you can see from the rest how easy it is to just re-image a drive (or a pair if you replace the dead drive).

EDIT: Also, the G3 thing is probably more to do with the version of OSX on it than the hardware/GUID, but of the two I suggest you do all of this with the MBP anyway.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The G5 can read the Panther disk though? It's just it can't read the drives because they are ones that only Tiger onwards can read?

Is there any program I could use to copy under a Linux distro? I don't have my Leopard disk anymore, so I tried chopping one up to fit on a SL, but it didn't work.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Will a FireWire 800/800 9-Pin to 9-Pin cable work? At the Apple Store they said to try it and return it if it didn't work...

But to make a long story short... I came back and found ALL my Apple screens, keyboards, etc all over the house because of my mother (painkiller addiction). The MacBook Pro cannot be found ANYWHERE.

So I can't test it until I find it. She probably threw it in a ditch. :(.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Ok, I got everything back in place now, but I can only boot the Leopard HD on my MacBook Pro? What do I do now?

Nevermind, seems to not letting me now. It won't boot on my G5 either.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Huh, lots of progress, but I find it odd that the cloned drive won't boot your G5. It's an exact copy of the drive/filesystem that you had installed already, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. You didn't change the partitioning scheme of the drive in the RAID to GUID, did you? I mean, I highly doubt you would have, but that's the only thing I can think of...

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Not that I'm aware of, no. The problem is it isn't a formatting issue, it's a partition issue, and those partitions underly the RAID. EDIT: but the drives should be formatted properly for the G5 if they are APM...

The install problem is likely because you're probably not using a retail copy of Leopard. If you're using the copy that came with your Macbook, it won't have the PPC version of Leopard included.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
OK, so I finally copied Leopard to an APM, it boots on the Intel, but not the G5.

It boots to the Globe, then a folder with a ? And the Finder blinking. The machine roars like crazy.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Really need an answer! My G5 won't read the APM, boot to a CD, or anything now. APM RAID Disk works, tested it on Intel, everything seems to work. I'm afraid to leave the G5 running as it goes crazy once it hits the ? Finder folder. Anything I need to type in OF?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
If the install of Leopard will boot the Intel then it won't boot the G5, the architectures it's installing are different. Does imaging the original G5 system back onto the G5 still not work? That should be identical, so if you're sure the RAID is running properly you should (in theory) be able to CCC that back over...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
If the install of Leopard will boot the Intel then it won't boot the G5, the architectures it's installing are different. Does imaging the original G5 system back onto the G5 still not work? That should be identical, so if you're sure the RAID is running properly you should (in theory) be able to CCC that back over...

Yep, I did try and CCC the original back. Just before that I set it up as APM.

And with Leopard, you're technically supposed to be able to load the system on an Intel and PPC if it's a APM, that was the whole point of having one disk.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT!!!!!

I had to go into Open firmware,

To reset the NVRAM *

Boot holding "option + apple + o + f" until you get a white screen with black text. Upon releasing the keys you are presented with a command prompt.

1. type "reset-nvram" at prompt and press return (will say OK if successful)
2. type "reset-all" at prompt and press return (you will see a quick flash of commands and screen will blank)

Upon completion of step 2 the machine will reboot.

Ahhh, I love being a geek girl!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.