Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
When the time is right? Yes, instead of offering an innovative and interesting new product with all kinds of potential 3rd party support and things to look forward to, let's offer the same old product that didn't sell before for a somewhat lower price, take away all internal storage so it's even less useful in some areas, ignore ALL previous customer suggestions (say 1080p?) and hope it sells anyway. Then we'll hint that SOME DAY maybe we'll offer something useful or interesting to consumers IF we sell a whole boat load of them, which we won't because it's uninteresting and out of date just like the last version that didn't sell for squat. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I TRULY wonder how Steve ever got where he did. He'll show all this innovation in some areas like the iPhone but then appear to be Forrest Gump when it comes to something that's actually pretty simple like home theater products (i.e. offer the best quality and state of the art features for a reasonable price offering all the conveniences of the best products that already exist).

For example, if Apple TV had 1080p from the start, a DECENT sized hard drive (even if that meant making SLIGHTLY bigger to fit a 3.5" hard drive; imagine THAT!?!) contained a DVR and Blu-Ray drive with support to convert them to be stored in iTunes automatically (like they do for CDs; a license would make this possible), had a front panel display that at least had a CLOCK on it (rather than just a little led light that does squat) and maybe even display title/artist information so you can see what's playing music-wise when the TV is turned off and don't have to wear out your projector bulb just to see a flipping album cover endlessly...or perhaps offer a cool visualizer to watch while you listen? What's THAT?!? :rolleyes: ), put in place the ability to add features like Netflix support, etc. as they become available (i.e. give the thing proper hardware assisted video decoding) and supported ALL the available formats so you can watch your home movies etc. without having to convert them to M4V and left provisions in place for gaming (and included a "remote" that could be used for gaming ala the "wii") and offered it for around $500, MAYBE just MAYBE the thing would have actually SOLD because it would have the potential to replace most of the home theater gear out there (just add receiver and TV).

THAT is what it would take to be as innovative as an iPhone. Apple TV should be a general purpose computing device with slick controls that can be upgraded to do just about anything you'd want it to do, whether it be a DVR or a cookbook display for the TV in the kitchen/dining room. If it had the proper connections (e.g. input video as well as output it) and the right hardware inside (hardware assisted encoding/decoding) with enough room to store apps/videos/movies (1.5TB 3.5" drives and larger are DIRT CHEAP for goodness sake!), it could do for TV what the iPhone did for smart phones. But no, some of those things MIGHT cannibalize iTunes music/movie sales, so we cannot include them! Never mind that we claim we do not make much profit from selling those sorts of things. We simply CANNOT offer a user-friendly do-everything type device because we want to sell SD 480p movies with low-quality video encoding and Dolby Pro Logic 2-channel sound to people that don't think there is anything better.... :rolleyes:

wrong in so many ways,but I'll point out a few:
Nobody's going to get a license to sell a Blu-Ray ripper,repeat:NOBODY
Many people(me included) already have a DVR,including one would be a deal killer for me
I never store video on my aTV,streaming only
500 buicks????You obviously want to make the original aTV look like the most successful product ever made.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I don't see why people are saying it needs an input controller.

The point isn't that there will be iPhone apps running on the Apple TV.
The point is there will be Apple TV-designed apps running on the Apple TV.

arn

Agreed.Too many people are thinking"games"when they see"apps".
If only for Hulu,ABC player,and other content sources it will be worth it.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
How about a wireless link between your iPad touch screen and your TV set.

Then you could in effect have multitouch working on a 42" screen.

You have your fingers on the iPad on your lap but you are looking at your TV

Ant therefore have no idea what your fingers are doing!Fail!
The whole point of a touch screen is you TOUCH the SCREEN that is displaying what you want to control/manipulate.If you look away from the TV you've just defeated the whole purpose of turning it on in the first place.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Apple is always forward thinking, i think mobile me/idisk will stream directly from NC Data center and we heading towards cloud computing very soon. 16GB storage will act as a cache for streaming directly off the cloud.

Apple ecosystem is definitely looking good for years to come.

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Apple Trackpad and Apple TV

MAGIC TRACKPAD! it got such awkward reviews when it was released but I thought from the beginning that it had a far grander purpose. Pairing it with the Apple TV makes perfect sense. I have an Apple TV on order but will wait for the trackpad until I'm sure that it's compatible.

hmm....maybe?!

1. The included Apple remote. To see how it might work, check out 'Mouse Keys' on the Mac (arrow keys move the cursor) semi-lame, but included in the $99 product.

2. Kick-butt remote app on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch. Amazing but you need an expensive gadget.

3. The Magic Trackpad. Probably what it was made for. $70.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Does Apple TV have a USB output? Is that for harddrive or something? It would make more sense because of the apps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Like the original,it officially for"diagnostic"use.
Hopefully like the original,it will be used by Boxee and others to add new capabilities.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
AT&T gets LTE turned on in 6-11. iPad 2 and other LTE devices ship 7-11. Apple's server farm is up and running and they host all licensed content and use their internet hookups. License holders received wired payments.

It's taking a while and that sucks, but the "future of television" while still distant, is going to materialize in CY11.

Rocketman

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Then How would the kids control it when you are at work?

What happens if you get a phone call?

How would I control it from my Android OS Droid X?

Seems rather limited access and presumptuous to assume that everyone is going to purchase an Apple Controller to access this.

He didn't say anything about using the phone/touch as an input device.What are you responding to?

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
App=Channel?

Ok, so hear me out on this:

Replace the word "App" with "Channel." This might just be what we have all been waiting for.

A lot of people (including me) have been saying that we would kick our cable provider to the curb if live sports were available.

Maybe the time has come where we will be able to pay for ONLY the channels we want - like the NFL Channel, or more specifically, the Denver Broncos Channel? And it could be interactive so you can easily show/hide the score bug, or the scrolling ticker/crawl.

It's what the industry has been talking about for years, but has never happened. Imaging, paying for UST the channels you watch: The ESPN App, the HBO App, NBC App, etc.

This could be H-U-G-E.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
has anyone noticed that the FCC won't release a teardown of the apple tv for 90 days? ( that was noted earlier when the itouch was torn down) what is this hinting at? online storage for apps?

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
You can't use the iPod Touch/iPhone as a controller. You have ZERO tacticle feedback. You have to look at the device to see what you're doing. Controllers for consoles have real buttons and sticks, you don't need to look at the controller while operating. With an iDevice you HAVE to look at the controller.

In summary, using the iDevice as a controller for something on the screen does not work.

No one here is the least bit interested in thinking about what it would actually be like.It's all"Dude!Medal of Honor and Real Racing with my iPhone as a controller!Bitchin'!!!)

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Apple will be a media distributor much like Comcast and AT&T. I believe the lines have to be licensed out per government legislation. Most of it will be wireless like Clear. Apple will install all of the cell towers themselves making sure they cover good portions of the us. This will be followed by the rest of the world. He loves the U.S. This is why we haven't seen the iPhone for any other carrier. They're saving the exclusivity for themselves. Ipads ipods macs all getting internet from apple iphones all getting service from Apple. Itunes getting a new design. Its all in front of our eyes. Think big, think different, create it yourself. History making in 2011.
W.
T.
F.
Are you smoking???????????????????????????

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It's what the industry has been talking about for years, but has never happened. Imaging, paying for UST the channels you watch: The ESPN App, the HBO App, NBC App, etc.

This could be H-U-G-E.

I generally agree, but there are flies in the ointment. The content providers are objecting to Apple recording and managing their subscribers, the 30% take and the target low price.

Personally I think they should charge whatever price the market will bear and once they learn Apple was right people will have beaten them into submission.

The other issue is bandwidth. This may be hard for most of you to understand but half the country is still bandwidth starved. 40% of people are not even on the internet, and most of them do watch TV.

Apple TV has to be as simple as falling off a log and as widespread as any internet signal can be.

It NEEDS to cache content to play smoothly in crippled areas.

Rocketman

hansende

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
I predict the Apple TV will eventually be the biggest product Apple makes- bigger than their computers, phones, and music players!

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Ant therefore have no idea what your fingers are doing!Fail!
The whole point of a touch screen is you TOUCH the SCREEN that is displaying what you want to control/manipulate.If you look away from the TV you've just defeated the whole purpose of turning it on in the first place.

Your arms might ache on a 60" screen dude.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Wait for this news: The new Apple TV will support FaceTime streaming from your iPhone / iPod touch. You'll initiate / accept calls through your iPhone / iPod touch, and use it's microphone. The Apple TV will be handling the rest. Please note that this feature won't be supported at launch time.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Wait for this news: The new Apple TV will support FaceTime streaming from your iPhone / iPod touch. You'll initiate / accept calls through your iPhone / iPod touch, and use it's microphone. The Apple TV will be handling the rest. Please note that this feature won't be supported at launch time.

Business users will jump in if this happens. Right now, the video conference solution costs a lot. This will be definitely appealing to the business.

jp102235

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
western us
for 1080p: get a mini

Well I would like ATV to have 1080p and support for external hard drives.
I know there is not much content out there available at 1080p for streaming but for folks that have their local media at 1080p would be a nice thing to have.
Also the storage would be nice so you don't need the Mac on at all times to watch something.
I understand that this device is aimed to a certain category of people that is the mainstream. I just think adding these two features would open it to more folks. But at the same time I think Apple wants you to spend the $700 to get a MacMini to do these things.
I just think $700 is too much dough to use just as a media player. Anyway, life goes on.
I think you hit the nail right on the head, if you want high bitrate: get yourself a mini. I am not sure there are many media players (that are not htpc's) that can handle 20Mbps source content reliably without using local storage. If any one out there knows of one, please chime in.

j

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I think you hit the nail right on the head, if you want high bitrate: get yourself a mini. I am not sure there are many media players (that are not htpc's) that can handle 20Mbps source content reliably without using local storage. If any one out there knows of one, please chime in.

j

It feels like this is what Apple wants anyway. No wonder they show on their site the Mini as HTPC.
I just hope they could come up with an update FrontRow software that acts more like the ATV UI. It's about time to upgrade FR.

ruralguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
UK
The point is that when using an iPhone, your input device IS your display, so you are looking at both input device and display simultaneously.

With an app on a television, you are no longer looking at your input device when holding it - you are looking across the room at your TV. Using an iPhone for anything other than basic screen based apps is fine - but playing games or anything on the Apple TV is going to require faster or more accurate input would be difficult. A touch screen device doesn't provide tactile feedback about what you are pressing, and where your fingers are in relation to the buttons needed for the interaction.

It is doable, it just isn't ideal.

So when I'm using my mouse to control my PC am I looking at the mouse or the screen? When I use the trackpad on my laptop where am I looking?

I already use the Remote app with my Apple TV and it works perfectly - I think many people seem to be missing the point here that control of the TV via existing touch devices is already up and running and working perfectly fine.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So when I'm using my mouse to control my PC am I looking at the mouse or the screen? When I use the trackpad on my laptop where am I looking?

That's works because there's a cursor on screen to indicate where you are pointing to and what is going to be activated by the click or button press. That was his point, iOS doesn't have a cursor.

Touch screen control doesn't work when the screen you're touching and the display aren't the same screen. Unless you throw in a cursor. But then it's not touch screen control anymore, it's called a trackpad.

I already use the Remote app with my Apple TV and it works perfectly - I think many people seem to be missing the point here that control of the TV via existing touch devices is already up and running and working perfectly fine.

A remote app is not what is being discussed in these threads, it is not what people think when they say "control AppleTV through your iOS device". They are thinking trackpad without a cursor. Shortsighted.

Also, being a flat surface, iOS devices as a remote is god awful. Tactile feedback is required if you don't want to be staring at the remote while you operate your TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.