Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyyfeng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I was helping my friend jailbreak her itouch. Her itouch is 2nd Gen MB model which started with 2.x.x firmware. I tried to make it 4.0 in the beginning and it failed, prompting me to restore. After the restore, the itouch became 4.1 firmware. In order to bring it down to 4.0 you need to first edit your host which is located under your C:\windows\system32\etc\hosts. You edit it by using Notepad. Once you open hosts, add the following onto the bottom (including # and hit TAB key once): 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com. Once you have done that, put your itouch into recovery mode. To do so, you turn off your itouch without the USB plugged in. Hold on to the home button and plug in the USB, which will bring you to recovery mode. Now hit shift + click restore and select 4.0 firmware for itouch 2g. When everything is finished, connect to Wi-fi and go to jailbreakme.com and your all set.

link to firmware: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Note: I only did this once and I can't guarantee it to work. Try at your own risk. Hope I helped!

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks! I will definetely try this! Not sure if it's gonna work on my touch though. I have touch 3rd gen MC model as opposed to your friend's MB 2gen.

Thanks for the site too, but it's weird why they don't have 4.01 fo the iPod touch:confused:

update:
tried it, unfortunetly a message "error number 3194" popped up :(

andyyfeng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you edit your host? I can provide a visual look of how the host should be.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
I did. Mine looks like that
notepad.jpg

I guess it's the matter of iPod models. I've read somewhere it's only possible to downgrade without saving SHSH blobs on MB models only. MC no can't do, that's what I've heared :/

andyyfeng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Ah... I think I see the problem. Erase everything that has to do with apple. Then re-add looking like this on the bottom.

# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

(that is only the bottom of my host)
Only have # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com once and have it underneath everything with the # symbol.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
This is old, just saying. I tried it awhile ago for something and it wouldn't work for me on windows or mac...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You do know that the 2G iPod Touches don't have the same kind of SHSH blobs as the 3Gs and iPod Touch 3G right? They have soft SHSH blobs which can easily be gotten around. And even then the soft SHSH blobs only exist of 4.0 and higher.

PsychosisNC

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
This worked fine on my sons ipod touch 2G. Was able to go back to 4.0 and then jailbreak with jailbreakme 2.

The one thing you are incorrect on with the hosts file is the line you added. The # cannot go before the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or it won't even use that line. The # comments out that line, thats why all of those above have #'s in front because they are just examples and other text.

Also when you add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the hosts file and save it you will have to shutdown itunes and restart it before it will work. Then you have to set your ipod up as a new one when it finishes restoring. You cannot restore a saved profile or you will go right back to 4.1.

snowscar

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
U cant Jailbreak 4.02 directly using Jailbreakme.
There is a good tutorial to jailbreak ipod 4.02

TinyUmbrella works well to get your existing SHSH blobs onto Cydia then its easy to downgrade without any problem. It also solves the errors during downgrade

Read it and follow the step u will downgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak the iPod

Speczorz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
I did. Mine looks like that
notepad.jpg

I guess it's the matter of iPod models. I've read somewhere it's only possible to downgrade without saving SHSH blobs on MB models only. MC no can't do, that's what I've heared :/

Nothing like cracking photoshop. ;)

masterskizal

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
This worked fine on my sons ipod touch 2G. Was able to go back to 4.0 and then jailbreak with jailbreakme 2.

The one thing you are incorrect on with the hosts file is the line you added. The # cannot go before the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or it won't even use that line. The # comments out that line, thats why all of those above have #'s in front because they are just examples and other text.

Also when you add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the hosts file and save it you will have to shutdown itunes and restart it before it will work. Then you have to set your ipod up as a new one when it finishes restoring. You cannot restore a saved profile or you will go right back to 4.1.
........................................................................................................
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! this jus made me so much happier like its unbelievable...UR AN IPOD GOD!!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.