Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Anyone know how I can get rid of an update notice for an app I don't want to update? Getting tired of updating multiple apps individually, so that this one particular app doesn't get updated. As well I'm getting tired of looking at that red dot with a "1" in it on the App Store icon.

Thanks.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Why is it that you dont want to update this app?

I am going to assume that the thread starter didn’t legally acquire the application. As long as it’s on your device, Apple will think it is legally on there and offer you free updates, as the app is updated. Once you click update and enter your password, you actually purchase the application.

He want’s to avoid all of this.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
It's funny because we all know what he really means but are still telling him not to do it, lol.

MetadataRemovr. Google it, you obviously blatant pirate.

I am going to assume that the thread starter didn’t legally acquire the application. As long as it’s on your device, Apple will think it is legally on there and offer you free updates, as the app is updated. Once you click update and enter your password, you actually purchase the application.

He want’s to avoid all of this.

You're wrong, like most of the people on this board who post what they THINK is true based on wrong assumptions.

If you click update and enter your password, it will NOT purchase the app. It will say something along the lines of "This discounted package can only be obtained if you've originally purchased it. Would you like to buy it now?" THEN it will give you an option to purchase.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It's funny because we all know what he really means but are still telling him not to do it, lol.

MetadataRemovr. Google it, you obviously blatant pirate.

You're wrong, like most of the people on this board who post what they THINK is true based on wrong assumptions.

If you click update and enter your password, it will NOT purchase the app. It will say something along the lines of "This discounted package can only be obtained if you've originally purchased it. Would you like to buy it now?" THEN it will give you an option to purchase.

I apologize for being wrong. I have never pirated an app that more than likely costs less than 2 bucks. I seen quite a few posts where people said something along those lines happens. Either way, it is an annoyance that he wants to avoid (or just to piss you off: want’s to avoid) without having to spend a few dollars.

I was hoping to hear a good story.
I don’t get it.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
You know, sometimes updates are released that remove functionality from Apps. By ignoring an upgrade, that functionality is retained. It's happened several times, most notably with applications that included the ability to free up RAM. I used to use one of these applications. You want proof? Go google it.

Get off his back.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
To those commenting about pirated apps, I'm pretty sure you don't get update notifications for those.. as to making update notification go away, I don't believe you can I'm afraid.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
You know, sometimes updates are released that remove functionality from Apps. By ignoring an upgrade, that functionality is retained. It's happened several times, most notably with applications that included the ability to free up RAM. I used to use one of these applications. You want proof? Go google it.

Get off his back.

That's certainly a possibility, but I didn't overlook it. It's obvious that he got the cracked version of the app and now he has to update his legit apps manually instead of using "Update All" (even though it'd work anyway, but he doesn't know that). Infer from his wording that he doesn't/can't update his cracked app.

To those commenting about pirated apps, I'm pretty sure you don't get update notifications for those.. as to making update notification go away, I don't believe you can I'm afraid.

Quoting myself, "Also, you're wrong, like most of the people on this board who post what they THINK is true based on wrong assumptions."

1. You DO, it's when the cracking script used doesn't remove the original, legit metadata.
2. You CAN make the update notification go away on cracked apps by downloading MetadataRemovr from Cydia, ALSO posted above.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Or maybe...the new app update doesn't work. Has happened with apps before (Super Mega Worm update broke on iOS 4.1)

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I love how everyone is jumping on OP and assuming he's a pirate and crook. There were many times I didn't want to update an application. For example, Pandora's update recently said that they added ads while listening to music, and explicitly said 'Don't update if you want to hear radio without ads'. Another example would be Shazam updating to a limited amount of tags per month.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
That's certainly a possibility, but I didn't overlook it. It's obvious that he got the cracked version of the app and now he has to update his legit apps manually instead of using "Update All" (even though it'd work anyway, but he doesn't know that). Infer from his wording that he doesn't/can't update his cracked app.

Why is it obvious??? There's an app I never update because the newer versions remove functionality I need. I don't use any cracked apps.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
I love how everyone is jumping on OP and assuming he's a pirate and crook. There were many times I didn't want to update an application. For example, Pandora's update recently said that they added ads while listening to music, and explicitly said 'Don't update if you want to hear radio without ads'. Another example would be Shazam updating to a limited amount of tags per month.
Exactly what I previously said. Thank you for having some semblance of common sense.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
That's certainly a possibility, but I didn't overlook it. It's obvious that he got the cracked version of the app and now he has to update his legit apps manually instead of using "Update All" (even though it'd work anyway, but he doesn't know that). Iinfer from his wording that he doesn't/can't update his cracked app.

No, it is not obvious

Now stop implying he's a pirate from "assuming" things

felch

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
I refuse to update plants vs zombies because I don't want to lose micheal Jackson zombies.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Quoting myself, "Also, you're wrong, like most of the people on this board who post what they THINK is true based on wrong assumptions."

1. You DO, it's when the cracking script used doesn't remove the original, legit metadata.
2. You CAN make the update notification go away on cracked apps by downloading MetadataRemovr from Cydia, ALSO posted above.

quoting yourself, "Also, you're wrong, like most of the people on this board who post what they THINK is true based on wrong assumptions." since you're assumption that the OP has a pirated app is purely a guess, you have no facts..... it's not obvious he got a pirated app.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Calm down, it's the internet. I really don't believe the OP is doing anything right here. I believe he pirated an app and no one cares to crack the next update. If you want to free up memory, double click the home button and remove a couple apps or restart the phone.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Calm down, it's the internet. I really don't believe the OP is doing anything right here. I believe he pirated an app and no one cares to crack the next update. If you want to free up memory, double click the home button and remove a couple apps or restart the phone.

well you are quite pessimistic, there are quite a few apps that have lost some functionality with updates, like plants vs zombies as already mentioned. people are so quick to judge and berate without any evidence....

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Most signs point to he pirated the app.

1. He claims he wants to turn off an update feature for a certain app and doesn't exclaim why.
2. His rank is a newbie so he probably doesn't come on the forum enough to see how bad people get chastised for using stolen apps.
3. He hasn't defended himself against the accusations.

I would say more than likely he pirated the app.

well you are quite pessimistic, there are quite a few apps that have lost some functionality with updates, like plants vs zombies as already mentioned. people are so quick to judge and berate without any evidence....

I wouldn't say pessimistic, more like realistic.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

I'm with you. When I originally read this thread it reminded me of a guy who a few weeks ago posted here stating that he forgot the passcode to his own phone, and now his phone has been disabled and wanted to know how to go about removing the passcode.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Most signs point to he pirated the app.

1. He claims he wants to turn off an update feature for a certain app and doesn't exclaim why.
2. His rank is a newbie so he probably doesn't come on the forum enough to see how bad people get chastised for using stolen apps.
3. He hasn't defended himself against the accusations.

I would say more than likely he pirated the app.

in response

1. We've covered this, could be to stop losing a feature on an app. it's only been a few hours since he posted, he could be back, not everyone lives online... people do have lives. i have posted, then not been back to a thread for many hours to see if i have a response.
2. he could be a lurker and had a problem that he couldn't find an answer to by searching. I for one spent ages as a lurker before i got an account and posted for that same reason.
3. see point 1, he's not replied yet to confirm or deny. people do have lives, can't be here 24/7 like some people who i've seen, who appear to be on here more than is healthy for a normal person......

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
Sorry, I'm not running 4.x. I don't have the ability. Therefore, an app with the ability to free RAM is something I like to have.

I don't believe it's your job to judge why he needed the advice he asked for.
I haven't updated PvZ because I don't want to get rid of Michael Jackson Zombies. I haven't updated iStat because the "Free Memory" option was removed, quite a long time ago.

By your logic, if I asked the same question without you knowing exactly why, I would be called a pirate. /facepalm

Next time, try getting all the facts and leaving out the assumptions before criminalizing somebody. He could be a pirate, but you don't know that. It's neither fair nor right to assume.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Why is it obvious??? There's an app I never update because the newer versions remove functionality I need. I don't use any cracked apps.

What you believe is not relevant to the rest of the world. I agree with anjinha, there have been some apps that remove functionality that I wanted to keep. We don't need suggestion's on how we want to manage our phone.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
I knew exactly what the guy meant. Sometimes apps change in ways a user doesn't want. He doesn't want the update. Why is this so hard to understand? Dullards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.