Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I keep a backup of all the old versions of apps so if an update breaks somethng I can just use the old version,

but there is just one app I dont update and that's pacman lite because on the new versions you only get one level before you have to restart the app but the old version you get one free level on all 3 difficulties and to restart the level you just click restart! so there are plenty of reasons why not to update!

but to answer the question I dont think there is a way to stop it showing up, at least I haven't found a way and just update each other app manually, but I've never been too fussed.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Same situation here, but with a free app, so nothing dodgy here.

Basically Speedtest.net app, the new version is horrible, would love to remove the update icon for it

djgulia

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I love how everyone is jumping on OP and assuming he's a pirate and crook. There were many times I didn't want to update an application. For example, Pandora's update recently said that they added ads while listening to music, and explicitly said 'Don't update if you want to hear radio without ads'. Another example would be Shazam updating to a limited amount of tags per month.

I wish I had read about Shazam before updating the app. Of course I don't have the old version either. :(

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Most signs point to he pirated the app.

1. He claims he wants to turn off an update feature for a certain app and doesn't exclaim why.
2. His rank is a newbie so he probably doesn't come on the forum enough to see how bad people get chastised for using stolen apps.
3. He hasn't defended himself against the accusations.

I would say more than likely he pirated the app.

I wouldn't say pessimistic, more like realistic.

Ok. Too all the numb nuts who think I'm pirating apps...my iPhone ISN'T jailbroken. I don't believe in it, since most apps I have were available for free through the apps store, like the particular app I'm referring to. It's called Tiltshift Generator. Look it up. I don't need to jailbreak my phone, all the apps that could ever be useful to me is available for free in the app store. If not, I DO buy it.

Alaerian wins the prize. This particular app is removing a feature. It even says, if you don't want to lose it, don't update. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for the feature.

I hope you all don't have big feet, because now you have to take it out of your mouths. Never assume. I posted the question to get an answer, not be ridiculed and stoned, WITHOUT so much as anyone of you tards asking if it was pirated or not (meaning the ones who assume I have pirated software).

And for the Mr. "no it all" Maverick. Let me answer your questions. Are you ready? You have your thinking cap on. Reading glasses? Brain is turned on (whatever is left of it)? I don't want to have to be explaining myself again.

1. He claims he wants to turn off an update feature for a certain app and doesn't exclaim why.

I didn't claim to want to turn off the feature, I asked how to get rid of that particular app from the update notice. Here is the question again...Anyone know how I can get rid of an update notice for an app I don't want to update? How much more explanatory is that?

2. His rank is a newbie so he probably doesn't come on the forum enough to see how bad people get chastised for using stolen apps.

I don't go on here just for shitz and giggles. If I have a question, I post. If I can answer, I post. Other than that, I do have a life that occupies me from being here. I've been in enough forums to know that people who like to attack others without provocations are those that really don't have much to do, and are extremely insecure. So they have to put others down to make themselves feel better about their own sorrowful existence. Case an point for you.

You know the old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover", well "don't judge a poster by the number of posts he has". As you can see I've been here since 2005. You've only been around since what...2008. So technically, your more of a newb than I am. I'll also add that I've been an Apple guy for very, very long time.

3. He hasn't defended himself against the accusations.

Again, I have a life that keeps me from spending my time on here 24/7. I reply when I reply. And I think I've defended myself pretty good...haven't I. lol

Here's a little life tip for you, and the rest of the know it all tards... don't make accusations until you get the facts straight. Saves you from looking like asses. If you can't answer the question, don't bother posting. Stick to the topic. Sheesh, don't you guys know the forum rules.

To the rest, who defended me in my absence, much appreciated. Gives me hope in humanity that intelligence isn't all wasted on some people.

Now...is there any way for me to be rid of this ONE update notice?

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Ok. Too all the numb nuts who think I'm pirating apps...my iPhone ISN'T jailbroken. I don't believe in it, since most apps I have were available for free through the apps store, like the particular app I'm referring to. It's called Tiltshift Generator. Look it up. I don't need to jailbreak my phone, all the apps that could ever be useful to me is available for free in the app store. If not, I DO buy it.

Damn...you just shut everyone up!

And sorry I don't know how to prevent it from updating, also if I were you I would go to the itunes folder and copy that .ipa file just incase you accidentally update it you have a back up.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

And sorry I don't know how to prevent it from updating, also if I were you I would go to the itunes folder and copy that .ipa file just incase you accidentally update it you have a back up.

That is indeed a very good piece of advice, long as you've got a copy of it you can always revert to non updated version even if it gets updated by accident.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I apologize for making false accusations and assumptions. I believe you only have two options, excluding deleting the app.

Jailbreak, install AppSync, and do some .plist editing.
Jailbreak, install that app that scrubs MetaData. Somebody had referred to it earlier in this thread.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005

lol. I really don't like putting people in their place, I'm not that type of guy. I like to think everyone is intelligent enough, and have common sense to respect everyone else. But when I'm put in that situation, well, I just hope that these people have enough smarts to back up their shitz, or they get sent to the corner with the dunce cap.

Thanks for that tip. I usually do a back up of my restore, but not the ipsw.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
I apologize for making false accusations and assumptions. I believe you only have two options, excluding deleting the app.

Jailbreak, install AppSync, and do some .plist editing.
Jailbreak, install that app that scrubs MetaData. Somebody had referred to it earlier in this thread.

Well it was good of you to acknowledge that. Most people will never admit to being wrong. Shows character on your part. Thanks for the tips. But like I said, I don't believe in jailbreaking my phone. Unless it has extremely beneficial aspects to it (other than free apps), I don't like messing with my "toys". lol

Of course, with all the other issues iOS 4.x.x is doing to my phone, I have been contemplating it. As it's the only way I can revert back to iOS 3.1.2 (when my phone was running flawlessly). We'll see.

Peace.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I just attempted something, but iTunes can detect any change made to an IPA and won’t let the app sync unless AppSync is installed (jailbreak...).

You are SOL.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I refuse to update plants vs zombies because I don't want to lose micheal Jackson zombies.
Yup, same here. I also didn't update a LED flashlight app because I read it delays the launch a bit. Sometimes we don't want to update for those reasons. I regret updating Talking Tom because it has all this crap on it now. Alot better in the earlier versions where it wasn't asking us to buy something with their ads.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I usually just delete the application from the ipod (or iPhone now that I have one lol), update all my applications that are located on it, and then copy the non updated program back down from my computer.

It is tedious, but it keeps my Pandora, Shizam, and a few other applications from updating with less features.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Alaerian wins the prize. This particular app is removing a feature. It even says, if you don't want to lose it, don't update. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for the feature.
I rest my case.
Should I expect my prize in the mail? =D I hope it's good!

Here's a little life tip for you, and the rest of the know it all [people]... don't make accusations until you get the facts straight. Saves you from looking like asses.
Excellent way to sum it up.

EDIT:
Just noticed the sig above me:
"Is amazed how a lack of evidence, suddenly becomes hard evidence ... "
-- Tariq Bernardino

Interesting how that can be applied here :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for that tip. I usually do a back up of my restore, but not the ipsw.

Not ipsw, ipa. ipsw is the OS, ipa files are the individual apps. If you don't want to lose a previous version of an app, you need to backup the ipa for that version.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I remember not wanting to update Shazam when it went from unlimited free tags to a limit of 5. There are real reasons to avoid an update although it's not that common.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
I remember not wanting to update Shazam when it went from unlimited free tags to a limit of 5. There are real reasons to avoid an update although it's not that common.
I've had Shazam for so long that I was fortunate enough to keep the unlimited tags. I can update as often as I want and I will never have to pay for that functionality. Under payment status, my app says:
"We've given you unlimited tagging for being with us from the early days!"

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
I just attempted something, but iTunes can detect any change made to an IPA and won’t let the app sync unless AppSync is installed (jailbreak...).

You are SOL.

What did you do? ie. backed up the ipa file, deleted the app from the iPhone, synced, then put the ipa file back in Mobile Applications and re-synced.

djgulia

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I've had Shazam for so long that I was fortunate enough to keep the unlimited tags. I can update as often as I want and I will never have to pay for that functionality. Under payment status, my app says:
"We've given you unlimited tagging for being with us from the early days!"

How long ago were the "early days" if you don't mind me asking? I've had the app for just under 2 years. Was one of the first apps I downloaded when I got my 3G. If i recall correctly, apps didn't exist for the 2G until 3.0 came out, right?

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
How long ago were the "early days" if you don't mind me asking? I've had the app for just under 2 years. Was one of the first apps I downloaded when I got my 3G. If i recall correctly, apps didn't exist for the 2G until 3.0 came out, right?
I remember Shazam being one of the first applications I downloaded from the app store. The app store released at the end of June 2008, I think. I did find this on an 11/9/09 press release (http://www.shazam.com/music/web/newsdetail.html?nid=NEWS088):

"Shazam will continue to support the existing free Shazam app on the App Store with new users limited to five Tags per month. Existing Shazam users will get all of these great features they've come to expect from Shazam without any limitations Additionally, the free Shazam app has been enhanced with services such as the ability to share Tags onto a Facebook mini-feed."

So, it appears that anyone who had the app installed before then should have been kicked over to unlimited tags. However, I've no idea if that was dependent on the app being installed the entire time or not. Mine was.

djgulia

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Thanks. I went through my purchase history and was mistaken. I didn't download Shazam until Jan 09.

I had unlimited tags until the update earlier this month. I just read the press release from Sept 3, 2010 and it says this.

Also, starting today, users will be able to upgrade to Shazam Encore from within the App. They can choose to buy the premium version for an annual fee of $2.99 (launch offer) or choose lifetime at $4.99. Alternatively they can stay with the free version offering five tags a month***.

***Existing users who downloaded the Shazam App before Encore and (SHAZAM) RED was launched in November 2009 will be able to enjoy all the new features, without tagging limitations.

Since I downloaded the app 10 months beforehand I should have the unlimited tags. Going to have to contact them.

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I went through my App Directory folder off iTunes and found two versions of Shazam, one from last year. I dragged it onto iTunes and replaced the new Shazam (with limited tagging) with the old Shazam. I should have unlimited tagging now.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
I remember Shazam being one of the first applications I downloaded from the app store. The app store released at the end of June 2008, I think. I did find this on an 11/9/09 press release (http://www.shazam.com/music/web/newsdetail.html?nid=NEWS088):

"Shazam will continue to support the existing free Shazam app on the App Store with new users limited to five Tags per month. Existing Shazam users will get all of these great features they've come to expect from Shazam without any limitations Additionally, the free Shazam app has been enhanced with services such as the ability to share Tags onto a Facebook mini-feed."

So, it appears that anyone who had the app installed before then should have been kicked over to unlimited tags. However, I've no idea if that was dependent on the app being installed the entire time or not. Mine was.
I've had it since July 10, 2008 with July 11, 2008 being my first tag. I didn't get this free extra functionality though :\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.