Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Currently, in order to get the most distance out of my wireless router, I have my wireless router in the living room. This is because my ps3 is in one room and my Imac is in another. my router is more or less in the middle of my ps3 and imac both of which i connect wirelessly to the internet. Since ive done this my signal upstairs is poor. So, can I use my Imac to boost the signal upstairs. My wireless router was plugged into my Imac beforehand and the signal upstairs was fine. but since ive had to move the router for my ps3 its further away from upstairs and the signal has dropped. short of moving the router back what else can i do

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
You can, but you'll have to connect your iMac to your router with an ethernet cable. Once you've done that, you can turn on Internet Connection Sharing in the Sharing preference pane in System Preferences to share that out on a new wireless network.

munders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
by doing that then i'll just have my wireless router sat next to my mac. Is there no way to use them both and deploy them in different places so i can get a better coverage

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
by doing that then i'll just have my wireless router sat next to my mac. Is there no way to use them both and deploy them in different places so i can get a better coverage

You could by another router and use it to extend your WiFi. Even a cheapish router should be better than iMac since it's not designed to work as a router

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

No. It can't use the same antenna on two different networks.

You can get a USB WiFi adapter and use that to connect to your network while broadcasting a different network with the built-in card.

munders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
If thats the case, can i just plug my imac straight into the telephone socket adapter with an ethernet cable and use my mac as the router or do i have to still use the router from my broadband provider

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If thats the case, can i just plug my imac straight into the telephone socket adapter with an ethernet cable and use my mac as the router or do i have to still use the router from my broadband provider

Yes, you can plug the iMac into the modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.