Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
The specs page for the new Apple TV just says that it is 802.11 n capable. If I remember correctly, the iPad supports the 5 GHz band, but the iPhone 4 only supports the 2.4 band. Has anyone seen or heard anywhere if the new Apple TV will support 5 GHz n?

I have my AEBS set to 5GHz n for max speed and minimal interference, so I really hope it does.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
hopefully better than iPad 5 GHz

If you're counting on 5 GHz, you may be disappointed.

I have a 3 y/o iMac that does 5 GHz pretty well. So does my Macbook. However, I've stuck to 2.4 GHz for my iPad because, while it does 5 GHz OK when very close to the access point, it behaves much worse than the iMac or Macbook when at a distance (30+ feet and a few walls).

So, for your sake, let's hope the 5 GHz is implemented as in the iMac and not as in the iPad.

bananaboi

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
If you're counting on 5 GHz, you may be disappointed.

I have a 3 y/o iMac that does 5 GHz pretty well. So does my Macbook. However, I've stuck to 2.4 GHz for my iPad because, while it does 5 GHz OK when very close to the access point, it behaves much worse than the iMac or Macbook when at a distance (30+ feet and a few walls).

So, for your sake, let's hope the 5 GHz is implemented as in the iMac and not as in the iPad.

u probably haven't updated your ipad... the 5ghz works flawlessly since 3.2.1

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
u probably haven't updated your ipad... the 5ghz works flawlessly since 3.2.1

I had done my earlier testing on the original iOS, but re-checked with what's now on my iPad, ie 3.2.2.

At least on my iPad, 5 GHz is still broken. Here are the rough numbers, using the free app SpeedtestX HD:

2.4 GHz, same room as AP: 19 mb/s
5 GHz, same room as AP: 19 mb/s
2.4 GHz, a few rooms and one ceiling away from AP: 17 mb/s
5 GHz, a few rooms and one ceiling away from AP: started slow (a few mb/s) then eventually stop xfer at all

Maybe it's my hardware. But I don't really care, I'm amazed at the very good 2.4 GHz performance. Very little dropoff. So I don't really need 5 GHz.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
What brand router are you using? I would bet there wouldn't be any problems with the iPad talking to a Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, or Airport Express. I haven't had any problems at all with my Apple wireless devices talking to Apple equipment.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My understanding is Lower GHz goes through walls better then higher GHz. That is why new DECT phones work better at around 19 GHz over the older 5.8 GHz. This is just something I read, not an expert. However, my experience has shown better performance with 2.4 802.11n. I have both.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Correct. 5 Ghz attenuates far more through physical objects than 2.8.

Anyone who has a physically wide house will tell you 5Ghz is just not practical for them. I HAVE to use 2.8, 5Ghz only travels about halfway across my rancher (from a Time Capsule).

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Refurb AirPort Expresses have just dropped in price (update soon???) If you do have a problem you could get one and connect it to your AEBS it to create a dual band network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.