Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Sometimes I fire up my old 300 MHz Clamshell iBook w/ OS 9 and use it for a few days as my main machine. Its nice to return to the basics every once in a while. :)

I used a white iBook G3 as my main machine for about a month in 2008 when my Intel Mac mini broke, before I bought an iBook G4. It was actually a pretty pleasant experience, there isn't a whole lot of speed difference between G3's and Intel when just browsing the web and using iTunes.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
I've always wanted a clamshell ibook, but i don't buy ibooks on ebay (after one to many ibooks with the gpu fault)and i have never had the chance to get one outside of ebay

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I've got a couple clamshells I'll use on occasion. Its not often though, since I've got other laptops that are far faster and MUCH better screens. They are fun to play with, but no way could I ever go back to using one of those things as my daily laptop.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I've always wanted a clamshell ibook, but i don't buy ibooks on ebay (after one to many ibooks with the gpu fault)and i have never had the chance to get one outside of ebay

It's rare to find clamshells with those kinds of defects, they're built like tanks. :p But indeed, my 800 MHz white G3 is basically dead now thanks to those infamous GPU issues.

I've been told that it's wise to avoid any white G3 iBook that wasn't the first model (the 500 MHz one. Apparently this model wasn't as affected). And the early G4's as well.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
It's rare to find clamshells with those kinds of defects, they're built like tanks. :p But indeed, my 800 MHz white G3 is basically dead now thanks to those infamous GPU issues.

I've been told that it's wise to avoid any white G3 iBook that wasn't the first model (the 500 MHz one. Apparently this model wasn't as affected). And the early G4's as well.

yup my main laptop a 500mhz ibook g3 witch i brought used (very well used as well) and except the keyboard (witch the seller very kindly replaced) has zero faults

Time Clock

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA
I have one of those first gen white iBooks. Right now, it's not being used because I don't really have a place for it on my desk. I wish that they could operate in clamshell mode because I'd hook it up to my external monitor so I could play classic games. It's been a road warrior- it's been dropped when it was open, been used on many a car trip, and still looks and works well. *sigh* Why can't Apple design computers like those during the PowerPC days.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
*sigh* Why can't Apple design computers like those during the PowerPC days.

Hmm? iBooks are PowerPC machines.

But if you meant why can't Apple design their modern computers like their older ones, I feel the same. I'm currently using my PowerBook G4, iBook G3 clamshell and iBook G4 14" more than my 13" MacBook Pro!

I really hate how primitive the older ones are, but they had the right idea! I don't like how everything looks like an afterthought, but if you took Apple's modern unibody principle and applied it with the look of the Clamshell iBooks... I'd eh-splode!

Imagine! A 13" display in a Clamshell look, without all of the plastic taking up so much extra room. I mean, that plastic takes a LOT of friggin' space! It's a 12" 16:10 but it's larger in almost every dimension than my 13" MacBook Pro! Trim it down and work it more efficiently, make the rubberized parts into one unibody, add the multitouch and modern keyboard... I love it!

Why is it that modern computers are so damned fragile? This iBook is ten-years-old and no matter what angle you backhand it, it's always ready to perform dutifully. Not to mention the handle, which compels me to carry it more often. Gah, Apple. You always give us something to love just to take it away, eh?

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009

But if you meant why can't Apple design their modern computers like their older ones, I feel the same. I'm currently using my PowerBook G4, iBook G3 clamshell and iBook G4 14" more than my 13" MacBook Pro!

I really hate how primitive the older ones are, but they had the right idea! I don't like how everything looks like an afterthought, but if you took Apple's modern unibody principle and applied it with the look of the Clamshell iBooks... I'd eh-splode!

Imagine! A 13" display in a Clamshell look, without all of the plastic taking up so much extra room. I mean, that plastic takes a LOT of friggin' space! It's a 12" 16:10 but it's larger in almost every dimension than my 13" MacBook Pro! Trim it down and work it more efficiently, make the rubberized parts into one unibody, add the multitouch and modern keyboard... I love it!

Why is it that modern computers are so damned fragile? This iBook is ten-years-old and no matter what angle you backhand it, it's always ready to perform dutifully. Not to mention the handle, which compels me to carry it more often. Gah, Apple. You always give us something to love just to take it away, eh?

I hate the clamshell design. Honestly, I think it's better than the plastic unibody now though, that thing is UGLY.

Then again, most of Apple's stuff looks sub-par now. They seem to have black keyboard and large display bezel issues. (Do you really need a like 2/3" black bezel around the 13" MBP?)

Personally, I like the whole late G4/G5 lineup of Apple computers. Now THOSE were nice. I especially love the aluminum PB G4 style. Also the white iMacs (with isight, earlier ones are kinda fat looking).

I have weird tastes though, I've always found IBM ThinkPads to look amazing. So simple and utilitarian. Just ready to have work done without anything breaking!

However, the new Mac Mini's design is growing on me. I still think the Apple on the top looks a lil big though.

Time Clock

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA

Yeah, I meant why can't Apple design their newer computers like their older ones. If you look at pretty much all of the G3 and G4 Macs and compare them to their contemporary counterparts, in terms of ruggedness and looks, I think that the older ones are better. Of course, performance wise, the new Macs blow the older ones away, but that's technology for you.

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
If I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a MacBook Air and put it inside of a Clamshell.

I figure the Air would be easiest to retrofit because it's an anti-glare screen that will (probably) come out of it's lid easily and the logic board and battery are tiny enough to jam in there. I might be able to throw in a USB hub too! CD Drive? Psh. Don't need it.

The sweetest thing about Clamshells? NO FAN.

I've got mine modded with a 1024x768 screen from a G4 iBook. That makes it much, much, MUCH more usable.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have a 300MHz Clamshell and a 266MHz iMac, and both still function, though I stopped using G3s day-to-day about 4 years ago.

The Clamshell is a tough machine, and if you pare down the software they still make a decent basic laptop. The biggest issue for mine is the lack of USB 2.0.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
If I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a MacBook Air and put it inside of a Clamshell.

I figure the Air would be easiest to retrofit because it's an anti-glare screen that will (probably) come out of it's lid easily and the logic board and battery are tiny enough to jam in there. I might be able to throw in a USB hub too! CD Drive? Psh. Don't need it.

I've got mine modded with a 1024x768 screen from a G4 iBook. That makes it much, much, MUCH more usable.
i would love to see that:D

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
I do! I do!

I have a Graphite 466Mhz SE Clamshell. DVD drive, maxed out RAM, replaced the hard drive with a 160Gb 5400rpm Seagate, and I'm actually in the process of getting a new battery for it as well (a NewerTech that has something like 1.6x the capacity of Apple's original cells). It goes to university with me every day, and thanks to the new battery, will be seeing 8+ hours on a battery charge instead of the 2-2.5 hours I'm getting now.

Also worth noting, aside from the obvious disparity in video performance, this machine is about as responsive as most of my classmate's netbooks. Except that I have a full sized keyboard and stuff. :) Word, iTunes, and Camino are all I run on it, and it runs decently. Nothing instantaneous, but with a little patience, it works great.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC

Hey Crazyrog, would you be willing to point me in the direction of a source for the LCD? Is it a rather hit or miss process getting one from an old iBook, or can you order the specific parts from somewhere? I'd love to do that mod to my Clamshell.

Also, another tip with the 800x600 screen: when you're surfing the web, shrink down the websites in your browser by tapping Command and Minus a few times, which generally gets you the same amount of stuff on screen as a 1024x768 panel.

iLoveiMacs

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
I still use my iBook G3 from time to time. I develop 'phases' when I use it all the time, but sooner or later I return back to reality and hop back onto my MacBook Pro. :p I love my iBook. It could use a DVD Optical drive and more RAM, but I'm good. I might get a G4 iBook with the "scrolling trackpad" someday though.. that would be sweet! :apple:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    344.9 KB · Views: 286

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I have one of those first gen white iBooks. Right now, it's not being used because I don't really have a place for it on my desk. I wish that they could operate in clamshell mode because I'd hook it up to my external monitor so I could play classic games. It's been a road warrior- it's been dropped when it was open, been used on many a car trip, and still looks and works well. *sigh* Why can't Apple design computers like those during the PowerPC days.

if you got one of these in the list then with screen spanning doctor it will work in clamshell mode too , apple has only blocked that feature to make people buy the more expensive powerbooks , you can either use the program or the patch and fit it in the open firmware and screenspanning and clamshell works because the clamshell trigger is the same that lets your iBook sleep when you close the screen , ok i have had only a iBook g4 but it worked flawless with the patch clamshell and screen spanning
but depends on your ibook g3 graphics its possible in the 16mb vram models onwards , but read the whole thing and start with the original article at the bottom
http://macparts.de/ibook/

NOT FOR ATI RAGE

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I still use my iBook G3 from time to time. I develop 'phases' when I use it all the time, but sooner or later I return back to reality and hop back onto my MacBook Pro.

Oh you get that too, do ya?

XD

I'm currently balancing a PowerBook G4, iBook G4, and iBook Clamshell... now where did I leave my shiny new MacBook Pro...

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
my friend still uses his 366MHz Indigo model that has 10.4.11 on it sometimes. But I have a Core 2 Duo mini so I think it isn't up to the times :rolleyes:. The only real imperfection with it is that the Indiogo on the outside has like changed to like a dark blueish-green color

Time Clock

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA
if you got one of these in the list then with screen spanning doctor it will work in clamshell mode too , apple has only blocked that feature to make people buy the more expensive powerbooks , you can either use the program or the patch and fit it in the open firmware and screenspanning and clamshell works because the clamshell trigger is the same that lets your iBook sleep when you close the screen , ok i have had only a iBook g4 but it worked flawless with the patch clamshell and screen spanning
but depends on your ibook g3 graphics its possible in the 16mb vram models onwards , but read the whole thing and start with the original article at the bottom
http://macparts.de/ibook/

NOT FOR ATI RAGE

Thanks, but I have one of the 500mhz iBooks:( I had also read somewhere recently that because of the way the iBooks were designed, if they were put into clamshell mode, they would overheat.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
I do! I do!

I have a Graphite 466Mhz SE Clamshell. DVD drive, maxed out RAM, replaced the hard drive with a 160Gb 5400rpm Seagate, and I'm actually in the process of getting a new battery for it as well (a NewerTech that has something like 1.6x the capacity of Apple's original cells). It goes to university with me every day, and thanks to the new battery, will be seeing 8+ hours on a battery charge instead of the 2-2.5 hours I'm getting now.

Also worth noting, aside from the obvious disparity in video performance, this machine is about as responsive as most of my classmate's netbooks. Except that I have a full sized keyboard and stuff. :) Word, iTunes, and Camino are all I run on it, and it runs decently. Nothing instantaneous, but with a little patience, it works great.
Nice to see someone else still using a ibook g3 day to day, that reminds me that when i brought my current ibook g3 my friends (and my schools it techs) thought i was mad going from a 1.6 netbook to a 500mhz g3 ibook

Thanks, but I have one of the 500mhz iBooks:( I had also read somewhere recently that because of the way the iBooks were designed, if they were put into clamshell mode, they would overheat.
Why would it overheat in clamshell mode, if anything it would cool it down by making it easier for the air to be blown out the back by the fan

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Why would it overheat in clamshell mode, if anything it would cool it down by making it easier for the air to be blown out the back by the fan

There is no fan in the iBook. There are simply slits on the top-side of the case that allow the hot air to escape. Closing the book would cover these vents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.