Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
I am thinking about getting the new Apple TV. If I convert my DVD's to just using the Apple Preset in Handbrake, how will they look on a 58" Plasma?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I am thinking about getting the new Apple TV. If I convert my DVD's to just using the Apple Preset in Handbrake, how will they look on a 58" Plasma?

They look ok. I know the universal preset looked like ass on my 58" plasma atv preset looked better I use a custom setting now. 2pass 2500vbm and they look pretty good.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Just know that with the ATV preset, you're bloating DVD content.. NTSC DVD's are encoded at 720x480. For me, its overkill so I use the universal preset instead (don't have a plasma, but the vids looked damn good on a friend's big screen LCD.. not sure of the size, but it was way bigger than my 32" LCD) but you will probably want to encode one with the universal preset, one with the ATV preset, and one or two with custom settings to see which one you prefer.

You may also encode some DVD's with one preset and another DVD using another preset. Since many dramas encoded using the universal preset come out with a smaller file size than they do using the iPod legacy preset, you may not need as much detail as you think, and using the universal preset will be fine, whereas with TV sitcoms, action or animated films, you may want to use the atv preset.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Apple TV Settings

If you're using Handbrake V0.9.4, then create a custom Apple TV settings using Dynaflash's settings found on his web site. http://dynaflashtech.net/

I've used it with very good results. Or you can try one of the nightly builds as these builds have updated presets.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
DVDs will always look like ass on any HD screen no matter how much you "touch up".

I guess that's in the eye of the beholder, but I've found many DVDs to look awesome.

In fact, I had some episodes of the first season of 24 I encoded way back for the 5G iPod at 640x352 @ 1500kbps, and they looked so good on my HDTV via ATV, I thought I had encoded them at 720x480 with variable bitrate.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Just know that with the ATV preset, you're bloating DVD content.. NTSC DVD's are encoded at 720x480. For me, its overkill so I use the universal preset instead (don't have a plasma, but the vids looked damn good on a friend's big screen LCD.. not sure of the size, but it was way bigger than my 32" LCD) but you will probably want to encode one with the universal preset, one with the ATV preset, and one or two with custom settings to see which one you prefer.

You may also encode some DVD's with one preset and another DVD using another preset. Since many dramas encoded using the universal preset come out with a smaller file size than they do using the iPod legacy preset, you may not need as much detail as you think, and using the universal preset will be fine, whereas with TV sitcoms, action or animated films, you may want to use the atv preset.

The Universal preset is using Baseline Profile , while the ATV setting is using Main Profile, it will look better and the filesize will be smaller. They look pretty good, on my 65" Mits DLP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.