Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asouns

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
when you charging it and it's power off, there is no sign for telling you that the iphone is charging or when the charging is done, right?

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
when you charging it and it's power off, there is no sign for telling you that the iphone is charging or when the charging is done, right?

I don't think you can charge the iPhone when it is turned off... Do you mean power off, or when the screen in just blank ( as in you didn't turn it off but just pressed the sleep/wake button)? If so, then jsut press that button again, and it'll take you to the unlock screen.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
quickly fully charge or in the night I don't wanna calls to interrupt my sleep while charging

There's vibrate? Or turn the ringer all the way down?

Your preference. Though so far my experience has been that the iPhone charges pretty quickly. If you're an average person getting 6-8 hours of sleep that's more than enough time to charge an iphone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think your quote pretty much sums it up. There is no sign about what the iPhone is doing (inc. when it's charging) when it's turned off.

I thought I read at one point last year that it didn't charge when it was turned off, but maybe they were just talking about charging when connected to a computer.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
quickly fully charge or in the night I don't wanna calls to interrupt my sleep while charging

Just turn on airplane mode. Will turn off the cellular antenna. Or like already suggested turn it on vibrate.

IAMTED

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think you can charge the iPhone when it is turned off... Do you mean power off, or when the screen in just blank ( as in you didn't turn it off but just pressed the sleep/wake button)? If so, then jsut press that button again, and it'll take you to the unlock screen.

Step 1 in the quick guide for my new iPhone is "leave new iPhone OFF and charge it fully"

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Let's say you're at 78% and it's time for bed. Would you charge your phone? If you do charge it do you expect any extra degradation to the battery cycles? How does the iPhone handle charges like that?

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
I put my phone on to charge nightly, regardless of the battery level, because I never know how much I'll need the next day. Once the charger is plugged in, I turn the phone off so as to not interrupt my sleep. Phone does charge fine when turned off.

Let's say you're at 78% and it's time for bed. Would you charge your phone? If you do charge it do you expect any extra degradation to the battery cycles? How does the iPhone handle charges like that?

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
i always turn my phone off to charge. the sign it's charging is the 100% charge when you cut it back on! I hate the face that the phone cuts back on when you plug it up to charge!

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Just plug it in while it's on.. It will say it's charging.. Turn phone off.. It will continue to charge

All though like others.. I would just put my phone on silent or turn airplane mode on..

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
The battery in the iPhone doesn't really suffer from partial charges - the big thing is that it does recommend once a month you let the phone go down real low (sub-20%) and let it charge to full and and stay there for a few hours once a month to make sure that the system recoginizes the battery's correct capacity (which degrades slightly over time, all batteries do).

So I'd let it get real low, turn off the cell part (aka Airplane mode ON) and let it charge over night once a month and it will be fine.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
One of the few things I bitched about to Lord Steve regarding an indicator LED.

As a company who is supposed to be environmentally green, why do I have to manually light up 614,400 pixels to tell me whether or not something is happening, when one could automatically do that for me?

Green = blink for on or fully charged, longer blink for charging
Blue = Bluetooth active
Yellow = Missed Notification
Red = Missed call or message

Make the Sleep/Wake button clear or have an LED inside it and flash the status. I wouldn't have to pick up my iPhone every time I come back in the room to see if I missed something or someone.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
One of the few things I bitched about to Lord Steve regarding an indicator LED.

As a company who is supposed to be environmentally green, why do I have to manually light up 614,400 pixels to tell me whether or not something is happening, when one could automatically do that for me?

Green = blink for on or fully charged, longer blink for charging
Blue = Bluetooth active
Yellow = Missed Notification
Red = Missed call or message

Make the Sleep/Wake button clear or have an LED inside it and flash the status. I wouldn't have to pick up my iPhone every time I come back in the room to see if I missed something or someone.

This is one thing I miss about my blackberry.

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
how about plugging it in and turning it off and see if the battery percentage has gone up? doesn't seem very hard to figure out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.