Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

az988

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Hi All,

I was trying to help a friend of mine was trying to unlock his AT&T 3gs phone. His phone was only upgraded to 4.01 (nothing later). I thought the best thing to do would be to reinstall 4.01 firmware, go to jailbreakme.com, and then install ultrasn0w through Cydia. Whenever I try to restore 4.01 firmware, I get stuck on 'Verifying Restore with Apple', which eventually leaves me with 'Error 3194'. I even tried putting the phone in both recovery and DFU modes before trying to restore. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated!

Btw, no matter what I do, I can't get out of recovery mode -- I can only get to DFU mode.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
4.01 isn't being signed any longer by apple.

did he backup the shsh for that version? that's the only way you will be able to restore the older version. if he didn't back up the shsh (signature file?) back when apple was signing 4.0.1... it's too late to do it now.

you will just have to jailbreak his current install.

az988

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply! Wow that really blows... We don't have a backup of the signature file. :/

I also tried to restore with a Snowbreeze hacked 4.0 ipsw (after putting the iphone in DFU mode). I'm assuming that returned error 1600 because we're trying to revert to an older OS version.

Unfortunately jailbreaking his existing firmware showed some very weird behavior, and the ultrasn0w unlock didnt even work. Now I can't even get back to that faulty firmware (stuck in recovery or dfu mode)... I guess he's just gonna have to install 4.1 and wait for another jailbreak/unlock to come along.

Thanks!

az988

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Is jailbreakme.com the only way to jailbreak 4.01 firmware?
I will give TinyUmbrella a try, thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.