Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I want to introduce my parents to podcast, I think it's a great way to move them into online video (youtube as well). But how do I subscribe to Podcast in iPad? I can see the episodes and they can click download on each one but I can't find a way to subscribe, so that means they have to check back for new episodes each time? I think that really defects the purpose of podcast!

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Unfortunately there is no way to subscribe to a podcast directly on the iPad. I agree with you in that it's an oversight, but this is the way Apple programmed the iPhone OS... I personally have sent Apple feedback on this exact issue and many more have probably done so as well.

Sebrobertson

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Unfortunately there is no way to subscribe to a podcast directly on the iPad. I agree with you in that it's an oversight, but this is the way Apple programmed the iPhone OS... I personally have sent Apple feedback on this exact issue and many more have probably done so as well.

Wait, so the only way to subscribe is on your computer? Bummer. I've been on my iPad for an hour trying to figure this out.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Use the Podcaster app. It let's you subscribe, download, etc. without iTunes. I've been using it on my iPhone for a couple of years (used to be called RSS Player).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Use the Podcaster app. It let's you subscribe, download, etc. without iTunes. I've been using it on my iPhone for a couple of years (used to be called RSS Player).
Just looked and it's not a Universal App (iPhone only). Is there an iPod or universal Podcast app?

achanja

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
Next generation of iOS should have dedicated CPU.

If we use an app together with the podcast downlaoding. It will slow down our device with one CPU. This may be the reason. But i need a dedicated processor to do this job. This is a big adventage if we can do live with iPod/iPad/iPhone. BB is getting it with live chat.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The ability go subscribe to podcasts using the iTunes app of the iPad should hopefully come in a forthcoming update. I too wanted many times to subscribe to a podcast from my iPad and couldn't. I am sure that Apple will eventually fix this. Let's see how long it will take them.
Of course third party apps are welcome, so maybe podcaster will come to the iPad.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
This was definitely my #1 criticism of my iPad. I really wanted to use it for poscasts, and it was a really frustrating device for podcasts.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I think one of the major issues for a third party app would be the lack of true multitasking. The user would have to open the app which in turn would then automatically download the subscribed podcasts. My only real hope is the native iTunes app which is allowed to run in the background. I dont expect that to change with iOS 4.2

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea

yes, I have also sent Apple feedback on this issue too.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I just found an app that supposedly has podcast subscriptions, but I haven't bought it, so I don't really know if it works well. The app is named Pocket Tunes Radio

longdogs

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Lichfield UK
Try Drivecast. It allows you to keep podcasts in sync on the web, iPad and iPhone. I've been using it for about a month and it works well, to the point that I no longer bother using iTunes for podcasts. http://drivecast.eu to sign up, and you can manage subscriptions there. The iPad app allows you to download and listen to podcasts, but you can't manage them from there.

I have no connection to Drivecast apart from being a satisfied user.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
I just found an app that supposedly has podcast subscriptions, but I haven't bought it, so I don't really know if it works well. The app is named Pocket Tunes Radio

Just bought Pocket Tunes app, and I can say that you can subscribe podcasts from the app itself (download then delete podcasts if you like, or just stream them on the fly to listen), listen to web radios, buy music from itunes, is iOS 4 ready.

Only downside I have with podcasts in this app, is that you can not manually enter an .xml address for a podcast .... so if the podcast is not featured in the search database ... I did not find a way to subscribe to it.

A not so bad UI for iPad too !

I recommend !

Diane B

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Western NC foothills
Stitcher

I've used the Stitcher app since I got my Ipad in May. Works quite well and easy to use
http://stitcher.com/home.php

It's a universal app but makes little difference that it isn't Ipad specific.

Well, may have to rescind this. Still works for me but I couldn't find it in the app store.

Another easy way to listen or watch podcasts is to simply use the iTunes app, choose podcasts, look in categories and find your favorites. Once you find them, then just search by name next time and it will come up quickly You can then choose the date you want to listen to, stream it or dl it. Almost easier than subscribing IMO and no need to go through the sync process. .

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Looking at DriveCast, Stitcher and Pocket Tunes they all seem to be audio only Podcasts. Is this correct and if so what Apps do video Podcasts?

derekjd

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
MediaFly

Looking at DriveCast, Stitcher and Pocket Tunes they all seem to be audio only Podcasts. Is this correct and if so what Apps do video Podcasts?

Try MediaFly. I sync my iPad, HTC Evo (Android), Mac and Media PC (Boxee) with it. No need for iTunes to sync and it supports video.

Derek

BTW anyone know what happen to the stitcher app?

Blue star

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010

Hi hengen,,,ditto here mate on the same issue,,,did you hear back,I didn't,,never do,,I just picture them hitting the delete button ,but maybe they read them,,,just wish they would respond,,or find someone they have responded to? Cheers:D

Ooks

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Downcast.

Awesome features, syncs across multiple devices, universal app, great UI design, OPML support, sleep timer, streaming, background downloading, etc.

The author has been quick to supply updates (like for the iPad 3rd gen), fixes, and is always rolling out great new features.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downcast/id393858566?mt=8

It’s a steal for $1.99 :)
Thanks for a great recommendation. Downloaded this yesterday and I love it so much already. Expect this to be one of those aps that apple acquires and rolls into iOS someday.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Downcast.

Awesome features, syncs across multiple devices, universal app, great UI design, OPML support, sleep timer, streaming, background downloading, etc.

The author has been quick to supply updates (like for the iPad 3rd gen), fixes, and is always rolling out great new features.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downcast/id393858566?mt=8

It’s a steal for $1.99 :)

I agree, Downcast is a great podcast app for iOS devices.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
This is a f*n joke! It's 2012 and we have iOS 5, and you can't subscribe to a podcast from iTunes on your iDevice!?!?

Sometimes I just wanna strangle Apple.... :mad:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This is a f*n joke! It's 2012 and we have iOS 5, and you can't subscribe to a podcast from iTunes on your iDevice!?!?

Sometimes I just wanna strangle Apple.... :mad:

It's not as straightforward as you'd think, but Apple should be able to come up with a better solution soon than iTunes sync.

Apple should avoid hammering the podcasters' servers with multiple downloads of the same podcast on multiple devices for the same user. Maybe something with iCloud would work (like Downcast). Apple may have wanted to limit the stress on the iCloud servers for the first year. Hopefully, it will be a feature of iOS 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.