Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darksnake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Hello guys!

I just read about the External GoFlex drivers from Seagate and they deliver them also in 1.5TB size. CLICK
Seagate

They also have a normal SATA connection that can be used with the GoFlex cables USB 3.0 , Firewire etc.

My question :
Can we put these drive inside a macbook pro to operate like a normal HDD? afaik is this a normal 2,5" drive and should it be possible. I did not found out about a teardown. But this would be great !:D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
There is no news about the height of the actual drive. We have to wait till teardown to know will it fit or not. As Seagate is selling it as external, I'm guessing that it might be higher than what most laptops can take

darksnake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
You can check the dimensions on the Seagate site. They are identical to the 750GB and 1TB drives. 22x89x120 mm

Can someone confirm that the 750GB or the 1TB uses 12.5 mm drives?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can check the dimensions on the Seagate site. They are identical to the 750GB and 1TB drives. 22x89x120 mm

That only tells about the dimensions of the enclosure.

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
I hope it fits unibody MBP...

I hope it fits. I was about to buy the western digital 1 tb, but would still not fit everything I wanted to on the drive.

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
I can't find any teardowns yet. I guess it's too new and hasn't gotten into too many hands yet. If anyone finds a teardown, post the link here.

DJ-R

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
I just bought the Seagate normal USB2.0 and its a 2TB.

If there are GoFlex 2TB still available for sale I would recommend going for it. But I'm out of luck unless I order online which is a bit more pricey (shipping).

GoFlex + FireWire or USB3.0 adapter interface is awesome. I just love how they manage to design this.

All they need is drive size for price, regardless of the interface. Better sales for Seagate for sure. All you need to pay is the extra $40-50 interface card/adapter.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
the expansion portable seagate drive i had was 12.5 in 750gb my western digital is 9.5 i know wd has a 750 internal at 9.5 but the 1tb is 12.5 i think as of right now wd is the only that does this

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX

Yes the 750GB and the 1TB drives are 12.5mm in height.

I can almost guarantee that these 1.5TB 2.5" drives are going to be 12.5mm. I've never even heard of anything taller than that.

Give it a little bit and the internal versions of this drive will become available.

I plan on replacing my 1TB drive with a 1.5TB drive and putting an OWC SSD in the optical bay.

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
FYI, I just got the 1.5TB model in the mail and it is thicker than 12.5mm. It will not fit comfortably inside my 17" MBP unibody. I can get the case to screw shut, but even with the stabilizing screws on the hard drive removed, the case will not fully close there. I may leave it anyway, since the case at least screws shut, but this is not the elegant solution that the WD 1TB was.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
FYI, I just got the 1.5TB model in the mail and it is thicker than 12.5mm. It will not fit comfortably inside my 17" MBP unibody. I can get the case to screw shut, but even with the stabilizing screws on the hard drive removed, the case will not fully close there. I may leave it anyway, since the case at least screws shut, but this is not the elegant solution that the WD 1TB was.

Thanks for the update, I was considering doing this, but now it seems like a no-go for my 2010 13".

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
No problem. I'm gonna experiment with modifying my optical bay hd caddy and see if it'll fit better over there. It seems like there's only 1-2mm keeping this thing from being perfect. As a last resort, it might be possible to file down the metal on the bottom of the drive, which looks to jut out about 1mm from the drive board.

darksnake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
can you measure it and say how thick it is? I have never seen a 2.5" drive thicker than 12.5mm.. so i guess they are using more than 3 platters.

can you also include a picture of the drive without the enclosure?

Thanks!

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
can you measure it and say how thick it is? I have never seen a 2.5" drive thicker than 12.5mm.. so i guess they are using more than 3 platters.

Thanks!

there is,

i have seen a 14mm and 16mm thick 2.5" disk.

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006

Thanks!

I'll measure later in the day. I'm transferring data to it right now so I won't be able to remove it for a few hours. I would guess this thing has 4 platters.

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Okay, I measure it to be 14mm. Frankly, it fits well enough that I'm gonna use it until a better 1.5TB or larger solution is out there.

Here is a pic of it next to the WD 1TB:
IMG_0259.jpg

And a couple more of the bulging case:
IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
jkester: thanks for the pictures!

is the hdd bay in your 17" bigger than in my 13"? reason i'm asking is because i have the 13" and would like to do this, even with the slight bulge, if it'll fit...

thanks!
linda

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
jkester: thanks for the pictures!

is the hdd bay in your 17" bigger than in my 13"? reason i'm asking is because i have the 13" and would like to do this, even with the slight bulge, if it'll fit...

thanks!
linda

I don't know. Maybe someone else does.

jc00k

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Hi, I'm a newbie here.
After Seagate released the slim version of the 1TB GoFlex, I heard that they also changed the hard drive inside the 1.5TB version. So instead of using 4-platter hard drive, the newer one uses 3-platter hard drive.

Can anyone confirm this? And how can we differ the 3-platter type to the 4-platter?

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Hi, I'm a newbie here.
After Seagate released the slim version of the 1TB GoFlex, I heard that they also changed the hard drive inside the 1.5TB version. So instead of using 4-platter hard drive, the newer one uses 3-platter hard drive.

Can anyone confirm this? And how can we differ the 3-platter type to the 4-platter?

Buy one and let us know! If the same, return it :)

jc00k

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
hm how do i know if its the new revision? i will go buy one..

Look at the code written on the internal HDD. One digit of the code shows the number of platter, but I forgot which digit.

Better yet, take a picture of the internal HDD and post it here. I'm looking forward to it :)

TheCM

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
same bulge issue with my 15" Macbook pro 2010 with case it still works for me.

Jkester's pic show the same issue I had. The Seagate drive is taller than my 1TB WD hard drive I had already upgraded to. The case on my 15" 2010 model seems to have a larger bulge than Jkester's 17" and the bulge makes the bottom of my 15" macbook pro uneven. This becomes a big problem as you type, the macbook rocks back and forth just like a uneven table in a resturant.

normal_IMG_0041.jpg

Lucky for me I am ruff on my macbook and I travel constantly for work. Also the edges of this macbook were cutting into forearms. For these two reasons I have always have a specter see thru hard case case on my macbook since the day I bought it. The design of this case happens to also fix the problem of the uneven surface caused by the hard drive bulge. The case fits perfectly and I didn't have to force the case to fit over the bulge so no concerns of the case wanting to "pop" off or anything.

normal_IMG_0042.jpg

I hope this helps anyone else thinking about upgrading that has the same style macbook pro as myself. If you use your macbook pro naked than I would hold off. If you use a case or are willing to use one then I can recommend the specter cases for 3 reasons now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.