Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jondob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I did a quick search just wanted to get some quick thoughts.

I have a dual 1.8 ppc running tiger (10,4,11?). I have 1.5 ram right now.

My question is should I Max the ram out(8gb?) then upgrade to lepard. Thanks guys im new to macs and this is my first one I got for free!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You can run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on that machine, 8GB is not really necessary for that. 1,5GB will suffice, but if you want you can go to 2 or 4GB if you have the money and the applications to take advantage of RAM.

And yes, Mac OS X 10.4.x is called Tiger.

jondob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
You can run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on that machine, 8GB is not really necessary for that. 1,5GB will suffice, but if you want you can go to 2 or 4GB if you have the money and the applications to take advantage of RAM.

And yes, Mac OS X 10.4.x is called Tiger.

Thanks for the reply! So 4 gb of ram should be fine then? I just mainly surf the web and watch youtube lol. Also how much is leopard and where to get it.

Thanks in advance!:)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks for the reply! So 4 gb of ram should be fine then? I just mainly surf the web and watch youtube lol. Also how much is leopard and where to get it.

Thanks in advance!:)

2GB will suffice for what you do, but if you can get your hands on 4GB for the same price, then go with that.

You can find Leopard via eBay, but make sure to buy the RETAIL version and NO grey restore DVDs, those are model specific. The price will be high though, sometimes they go for the original price.

jondob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
2GB will suffice for what you do, but if you can get your hands on 4GB for the same price, then go with that.

You can find Leopard via eBay, but make sure to buy the RETAIL version and NO grey restore DVDs, those are model specific. The price will be high though, sometimes they go for the original price.

Thanks again!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
leopard prices will rise because the demand is getting higher from day to day and apple doesn't make leopard any longer , but everyone with a ppc Mac and a iphone 4 needs leopard , and some just want the original retail disc even if they dont have a iphone 4 , but they still want loepard :confused:
so bid as long as there are leopard disc's on the market ;)
good thing for me as i am a tiger fan and would not want anything else on my ppc Mac's and tiger disc are dropping in price on a daily basis :D
so keep buying leopard ;)

and 2 gb will be enough for what you are doing , neither surfing or youtube makes it necessary to upgrade to 4 gb

jondob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
leopard prices will rise because the demand is getting higher from day to day and apple doesn't make leopard any longer , but everyone with a ppc Mac and a iphone 4 needs leopard , and some just want the original retail disc even if they dont have a iphone 4 , but they still want loepard :confused:
so bid as long as there are leopard disc's on the market ;)
good thing for me as i am a tiger fan and would not want anything else on my ppc Mac's and tiger disc are dropping in price on a daily basis :D
so keep buying leopard ;)

and 2 gb will be enough for what you are doing , neither surfing or youtube makes it necessary to upgrade to 4 gb
Thanks for the reply man! Should I even bother to upgrade to leopard?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
upgrading to leopard in my opinion only necessary if you desperately need a new iphone , everything else worked and still works in Tiger and Tiger is simply more responsive then leopard
and in my opinion Tiger is the best operating system Apple has developed since OS9 which still beats it , but thats just me as i dont like to get my brain taken away , if i had the choice i would like to use the terminal again to tell a app what i want it to do and i do that whenever possible , but thats possibly just me because it reminds me how fun it was on my first computers to do such things (commodore pet and then commodore sx 64 ) where i had to do everything in basic until i swapped to pascal as i found it more challenging

i just think the computer should make life easier but should not force the user to switch off his brain

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
upgrading to leopard in my opinion only necessary if you desperately need a new iphone , everything else worked and still works in Tiger and Tiger is simply more responsive then leopard
and in my opinion Tiger is the best operating system Apple has developed since OS9 which still beats it , but thats just me as i dont like to get my brain taken away , if i had the choice i would like to use the terminal again to tell a app what i want it to do and i do that whenever possible , but thats possibly just me because it reminds me how fun it was on my first computers to do such things (commodore pet and then commodore sx 64 ) where i had to do everything in basic until i swapped to pascal as i found it more challenging

i just think the computer should make life easier but should not force the user to switch off his brain

You miss out on a lot of newer apps though that the G5 is capable of running. If he had a G4 and no easy way of getting a Leopard install I would agree with this, but there is no reason to not have Leopard on a G5.

Also note that you'll probably need Leopard to access the iTunes store as well.

Also, I've found that the second you get 2gb of ram or even a little less that Tiger is no more responsive than Leopard after that point. Even on my PowerBook I don't really notice any change other than graphical features can be a little slow if I hook it up to a cinema display.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
most newer apps dont offer more then just a new GUI the fuctions are pretty much the same , the only differece is that some developers are to lazy to care for osx tiger any more like apple itself ,

i mean i dont like windows at all ,but at least microsoft offers still full support and updates for windows xp which came out in August 2001
and all programs i know have as minimum requirement windows xp and some even windows 2000 which came out a year earlier , even professionel software like the newest avid runs on windows xp

and osx Tiger was the equivalent of windows xp as it would run on any Mac since the first iMac G3 slot loader to the early intel Mac's which too came with Tiger and as i am a user and collector i install tiger ,because it runs on all my Mac's apart from the TAM , but on a separate partition i install the original operating system the Mac shipped with

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
most newer apps dont offer more then just a new GUI the fuctions are pretty much the same , the only differece is that some developers are to lazy to care for osx tiger any more like apple itself ,

i mean i dont like windows at all ,but at least microsoft offers still full support and updates for windows xp which came out in August 2001
and all programs i know have as minimum requirement windows xp and some even windows 2000 which came out a year earlier , even professionel software like the newest avid runs on windows xp

and osx Tiger was the equivalent of windows xp as it would run on any Mac since the first iMac G3 slot loader to the early intel Mac's which too came with Tiger and as i am a user and collector i only install tiger , but on a separate partition i install the original operating system the Mac shipped with

Personally, I just want to get the most out of my machines, and for the G5, there is no reason to miss out on some of the upgrades.

If he was running a G4 I would've suggested he not bother.

However, on G4's running at least 1ghz and with at least 1gb of ram I can't recommend Tiger, its just not that big of a difference to miss out on some of the newer key things (Like iLife 09, iWork, Time Capsule, etc).

There is still a decent amount of new software that will run on a G5 but only with Leopard.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Personally, I just want to get the most out of my machines, and for the G5, there is no reason to miss out on some of the upgrades.

However, on G4's running at least 1ghz and with at least 1gb of ram I can't recommend Tiger, its just not that big of a difference to miss out on some of the newer key things (Like iLife 09, iWork, Time Capsule, etc).

There is still a decent amount of new software that will run on a G5 but only with Leopard.

i am happy with ilife 08 and using carbon copy cloner to do my backups i tried time capsule under leopard and found it not really practical
so i continued to use carbon copy cloner , i found the app desktop manager better then pages , so by the time i had repalced everything with the older programs i loved and deactivated all the features from leopard which i didn't need and to get leopard to the same speed as tiger , i was still left with a slow leopard that looked more like tiger with a black apple instead of a blue one

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Well you're more familiar with Macs. This is his first Mac, and while you might be fine using Carbon Copy cloner and older 3rd party apps. I think the OP would prefer to have some of those things built in the OS, and to be able to use fairly recent software. Time Machine is a much better option for those who want a simple backup program they don't ever really have to mess with.

Plus again... he's running a dual G5, so the speed argument is pretty much irrelevant to him. As far as your iMac which is what I'm assuming is the bases for your last post, the reason it feels slower is because of the crappy graphics chip in it. A decent card (9600 for example) will make Leopard feel just as fast as it is.

jondob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010

Yah I dont use any of those things or would. I just youtube, msn, and surf the net. I do like having the best of what I have though. I know I have a g5 only but I mean, Im the kind of person who would want to have the most up to date os there is for this computer just because. BUT if there would be no difference for me doing the things i do with leopard then I guess i could live.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009

Try craigslist as well. Sometimes you can find extremely good deals on leopard and people might throw in extras along with it if you are lucky. I got my copy of leopard along with an iLife '08 disk and an apple pro mouse for around $65. So there are deals to be had out there, just be patient and look around. Good luck.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Well you're more familiar with Macs. This is his first Mac, and while you might be fine using Carbon Copy cloner and older 3rd party apps. I think the OP would prefer to have some of those things built in the OS, and to be able to use fairly recent software. Time Machine is a much better option for those who want a simple backup program they don't ever really have to mess with.

Plus again... he's running a dual G5, so the speed argument is pretty much irrelevant to him. As far as your iMac which is what I'm assuming is the bases for your last post, the reason it feels slower is because of the crappy graphics chip in it. A decent card (9600 for example) will make Leopard feel just as fast as it is.

i only went into Mac's just over a year ago , before i was using for a good year + linux various distros ...i guess i tried out all of them apart from the ones not available in english or german on my pc's ,before linux i had windows .. then it happend i fell in love with this little beast called eMac on ebay and OSX Tiger and that did set of a unstoppable avalanche , have now 3 eMacs (all 1.42 models ), 2 iMac g3 ,a powerMac sawtooth, a powerMac quicksilver, a powerMac g5 2.3 dual , a imac g5 , a powerMac 5500 and a TAM , not to mention a mini g4
and a broken iBook g4 and under restauration powerMac G3 (smurf server)and a performa ad another iMac g3 ......dont know really what else i need , a original Macintosh would be fine and a lisa I and II to see in reality how it all started ,
unlike other windows switchers who happen to test a g4 or g5 and then buy a new intel Mac i went in the opposite direction in the timeline and got lost there and i am running out of desk space here to place them all side by side in order

and no i tested leopard first on my mini g4 1.42 with 1 gb ram and ati 9200 with 32mb and then in one of my eMac's 1.42 with ati 9600 and 64mb ram ..then i threw the leopard disc in the bin , as i was so disappointed from it and could not imagine that it was made by the same company that made cheetah,puma, jaguar, panther , tiger , had a hackintoshed netbook too with snow leopard but i had no reception in the garden wireless, i hate wireless too its to modern i like wires
ok it might be ok for some this leopard , but for me it was a £80 wasted really

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.