Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karelvk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Does the Mac mini (2010) supports full HD 3D video playback via hdmi?
I would like to use the Mac mini as a media center for my 3D TV (Panasonic TX-P50VT20). In order to play full HD 3D movies, I think I need a hdmi 1.4 connection.
Does the mac mini have one (some sources say yes, others say the mac mini has only hdmi 1.3) and is the Mac mini capable of outputting 3D video?

Thanks!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's 1.3 but can be upgraded via a software patch if apple wanted to. The only difference with 1.4 is it carries Ethernet over the cable.

karelvk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
quote from conversation with apple customer support, found in a thread elsewhere on this forum: (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/937586/)

Gabriel R: Wonderful! I just received the confirmation and its a yes on the 1.4 HDMI.
Gabriel R: Would you like me to help you place the order online? I can stay online with you and leave this chat open while you place the order, in case you have any questions.Once you place the order, you can type in your order number here so I can verify your order went through fine.
You: Great news, but just to be clear, the Mini actually outputs 1.4?
Gabriel R: Yes correct!

That's what confuses me: some sources say the new mac mini does have 1.4.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
Why not just call Applecare yourselves instead of asking? Get it from the horse's mouth so to speak. Or go to a Genius bar at an Apple store and ask them on the spot.

Baby Mac

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
No 3D @ 1080p but maybe @1080i via mini DisplayPort

I would have to see an official spec or trusted reviewer to believe that, not a chat.

Here's my research:

• Mini DisplayPort is 2560×1600. Wikipedia
  • HDMI 1.4 is 4096×2160. Wikipedia
  • "3D Over HDMI (HDMI 1.3 devices will only support this for 1080i)" Wikipedia
  • Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.3b adapters are available; Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.4 are not.
If a mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.4 adapter is released, perhaps the Mac mini could output 3D @ 1080p. Otherwise, can your 3D monitor accept an HDMI 1.3 input for 3D @ 1080i? Try it and see.

simulacra

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
The displayport max res. seems to be a limit that is imposed to avoid bad performance due to a too high resolution setting, the HDMI maximum on the other hand is 1080px2 to transmit a full HD pic twice for 3D per frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.