Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agirlnameddawn

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Do either of these programs offer photo stitching needed for virtual tours? I'm trying to get my cannon t2i set up for creating virtual tours also if any one has a lead on which fish eye lens would best suit this camera and fill my needs I am very open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Do either of these programs offer photo stitching needed for virtual tours? I'm trying to get my cannon t2i set up for creating virtual tours also if any one has a lead on which fish eye lens would best suit this camera and fill my needs I am very open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

You should start a new thread for a basically unrelated topic (it is common courtesy and it will help draw people to your thread that may help).

Do you have a good tripod and proper panaroma mount? Without those, creating good images of rooms will be painful (and they will likely not look very good).

Check out this guys site, he has a lot of pretty good information on what you require.

http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical0.html

To answer your question neither LR nor Aperture are the best software for what you are trying to do.

gidz

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Capture One Pro 5

I would highly recommend Capture One Pro 5 as piece of software to use. It allows tethered shooting with most cameras available at the moment and allows advanced colour correction, exposure control etc. I have used it for 8 years on numerous photo shoots and still haven't found anything better.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I would highly recommend Capture One Pro 5 as piece of software to use. It allows tethered shooting with most cameras available at the moment and allows advanced colour correction, exposure control etc. I have used it for 8 years on numerous photo shoots and still haven't found anything better.

What's the situation with Capture/1 and photo libraries?

I used Capture/1 a while ago, and found it's RAW processing to be much preferable to Lightroom. I switched to Lightroom though - because I really disliked the file handling in C/1 and it's failure to sensibly manage large numbers of files.

In the interim, I think that Lightroom has caught up on the image quality front, although C/1 has some really nice tools that Adobe doesn't (the sharpness hinting is really nice).

I now read that Phase One has bought Expression Media off Microsoft. I also used this (as iView) a while back.

What is the integration between Capture/1 and Expression media? Seems like a messy solution to have library management and RAW processing as two separate apps? Do you have to finalise (and create TIFFs) in Capture/1 to have final images in Expression Media, or can EM store RAW processing 'instructions' in much the same way as Lightroom and its 'sidecar' files?

paddyhazard

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
London
Slightly different AP vs LR question

I've got a slightly different aperture vs lightroom question that i could do with some help on please. I'm a graphic designer that's just getting into photography as i spend most of my days searching through photos to find great ones, i think it's a good skill to learn. I downloaded the trial of both and really preferred aperture, especially with all of the quick tips on the apple website, it just seems so easy to use and do exactly what i want.

As i've not got my camera, a lumix fz38/fz35, i've found out aperture doesn't support raw files from this camera. Now i don't know what to do

1. Buy and use aperture and hope that apple bring support - is this likely to happen seen as i've looked on apple support forums and this topic was brought up months ago?
2. Shoot jpeg - really dont want to do this.
3. Learn lightroom - I don't like the interface but maybe if i get used to it. Does anyone have any good tutorials that show a good lightroom workflow? I can't find any on youtube but there seem to be some long videos on the adobe site. I also don't like this idea as using cs5 all day, i know how crashy adobe apps are. Is lightroom as bad?
4. Use a combinaton of bridge and photoshop? - I already have them so just sort out a good folder structure for projects/albums and view in bridge?

What does everyone think for the beginner photographer?

Thanks

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
1. Buy and use aperture and hope that apple bring support - is this likely to happen seen as i've looked on apple support forums and this topic was brought up months ago?
Adobe have a 'universal RAW' format: DNG. I believe you can convert FZ28 files to DNG using Adobe's free converter - and then Aperture is compatible with the DNG. Try it - this may be a solution.

3. Learn lightroom - I don't like the interface but maybe if i get used to it. Does anyone have any good tutorials that show a good lightroom workflow? I can't find any on youtube but there seem to be some long videos on the adobe site. I also don't like this idea as using cs5 all day, i know how crashy adobe apps are. Is lightroom as bad?
Personally I prefer Lightroom to Aperture as I think it's a more powerful application (better tools, more tools - especially lens correction and noise reduction) and I prefer the library management. I've found it to be 100% stable.

The guys from Luminous Landscape have just started selling their Lightroom 3 training videos. If you're serious about using Lightroom I strongly recommend buying and viewing these - absolutely worth the money if you want to really get the most out of the app.

4. Use a combinaton of bridge and photoshop? - I already have them so just sort out a good folder structure for projects/albums and view in bridge?

If that works for you then sure. I hate bridge!

paddyhazard

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
London
Thanks firestarter, I think I'm going to try and use lightroom for a while. After watching a few videos, i think i can get into the workflow and I do like the folder structure. No relying on massive iphoto or aperture libraries, all images in folders that can be viewed by other applications! I don't think I'm going to go with aperture as after reading a bit more, I don't think apple have supported any of the fz8 range so I'm not going to hope for support for this one if they haven't done it a year after its release. I don't like how they won't just say what raw files they are working on supporting and what ones they're not going to do at all.

Thanks

jwestpro

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
There is a beta LR3 out which from my colleagues, I hear is superb (I haven't tested it yet.) But the BLR 3 eventual release will be much different from the Beta with many improvements over LR 2.x.....

There is no beta of Aperture 3. There is no talk of aperture 3. Only rumors. Apple doesn't care about professional photogs.

I have Phase One Capture one 5.0 and think it is an inferior product. Much too much contrast and vividness when importing NEF images.

Sounds like someone may not know how to use C1 pro. I have been using it since the 1Ds mk1 was the bomb, however that camera was not up to par in my opinion. C1 has been the best out there ever since. I got lr3 the other day just to have options and play with it but it's much less ideal for critical work and obviously more suited to batch crap processing.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Sounds like someone may not know how to use C1 pro. I have been using it since the 1Ds mk1 was the bomb, however that camera was not up to par in my opinion. C1 has been the best out there ever since. I got lr3 the other day just to have options and play with it but it's much less ideal for critical work and obviously more suited to batch crap processing.

I use aperture and Capture One Pro. I don't use lightroom. Tried it, don't like it.
Why.
Well, it's true, Capture One Pro has the superior RAW conversion. Hands down, it beats Both Aperture and Lightroom for critical adjustments and colour reproduction. Highlight recovery is unbeatable, for example.
But although C1 Pro is king when it comes to studio capture, it falls when out of this comfort zone. It's simply not quick enough for an importing from card workflow. It suffers with previews and leaves it up to you to manage your backups. In fact, it leaves it up to you to manage your library.
Aperture's all under one roof solution speeds things up considerably. The library organisation, and integration with OSX is clean and efficient (when it doesn't get a bit *confused* once in a while!) and having the simplicity of Mobile Me galleries, the convenience of an adjustments hud in full screen view, and a fairly good RAW processing engine, means that for me, most of my work is now in Aperture.
Sure, Aperture has some major issues - they could pump up the IQ on import a little, and deal with some of the library issues amongst others, but Capture One also suffered from massive problems when Phase One went to version 4. They still haven't got everything right.
In an ideal world there would be something of a mixture of the two, but as it stands there doesn't seem to be a perfect RAW conversion software. There are compromises.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Phase One has just bought the 'Expression Media' library app from Microsoft (formerly called iView media pro):

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...tegration-phase-one-acquires-expression-media

Hopefully they'll integrate it and end up with an app that can take on both Lightroom and Aperture.

I do like Capture One and have used it in the past. The new focus-highlighting is an awesome feature.

Overall though, I've settled on Lightroom as the app with the library management that most closely matches the way I want to work. In this latest iteration Adobe have also improved the IQ a lot - so I'm pretty happy at the moment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iView had a huge head start, but when microsoft purchased them, they squandered what advantages iview had. Both Aperture and Lr have more features, and critical mass behind them. I don't see Expression Media becoming any real competition to either.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
iView had a huge head start, but when microsoft purchased them, they squandered what advantages iview had. Both Aperture and Lr have more features, and critical mass behind them. I don't see Expression Media becoming any real competition to either.

Agreed.
iView or Expression Media seems like a bloated solution to file management when 'the others' have been honing this as part of the feature set since day dot. It's pretty good as it stands, though I know Aperture could up the ante on stability with it's managed/referenced file crashes.
If Phase one were to integrate Expression into Capture One the first thing to do would be to head over to the Phase One user forums. Historically, there has been a lot of backlash from loyal users, especially when there was a jump from v3 to v4. They don't like their Capture software being messed with!

The point is that Capture One started life Primarily as professional capture software for Phase One's digital backs both in the Studio and on Location. Later on they started to include support for third party Raw capture, specifically from Canon (Tethered shooting) and Nikon (Import from Card) and then developed from there. The need for a managed library wasn't so important in the professional fashion and commercial market as jobs were shot, edited, processed, and delivered to the client all in one session. The next session would have always been a new job starting from a clean slate. New client, new session.

Apple recognised the need for an all in one solution for the professional portrait, wedding, events, user base, and created Aperture. Fundamentally a great solution for Mac users, even if you needed 'the most powerful computer the planet has ever seen' just to run version 1. Still, we're on v3 now and speed isn't really the issue any more.

And lightroom has the same approach - great Raw conversion/adjustments/asset management to enable workflow. Done.

The question isn't Aperture vs Lightroom? Aperture vs Capture One? or combinations of these. For most people it's Aperture or Lightroom? If you're using one or the other there is a good chance that you won't want to migrate your extensive hard drive crippling photographic library to a new system in the vain hope that the exposure sliders work better in Program X. They might do, but it's a hell of a lot of bother to go through only to discover that you actually preferred the way that Program Y dealt with highlight recovery after all.

And when you get to the conclusion that neither program is more or less capable across a broad range of features and that we're only really discussing the justification of choice of software, it becomes a little bit like chatting about whether a foggy day is better than a misty morning. It's a bit dull.

eraciti

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Boston / Brussels
Aperture 3 Resale

Hi - I'm new to the forum, and new to Mac. After my wife, a pro photographer, made the leap from film to digital this year she got a Macbook Pro, and on Black Friday I took the leap myself. The PC is history (what put me over the edge was the absolute inability to get the PC to reliably connect to the TimeCapsule ... but that's for another forum).

After trying both, my wife has firmly landed on the side of LightRoom. This leaves me with a copy of Aperture 3, which I presume I can resell. I'll take any suggestions on how to do this, as well as any offers. $125?

Thanks!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Barefeats have just posted a 'first take' on performance between Aperture and Lightroom.

Lightroom is more efficient with processing raw files while Aperture is quicker importing and exporting raw files

http://barefeats.com/wst10c4.html

One thing for me to gauge with this is that buying an SSD won't solve my Aperture 3 slowness. Good news considering the prices of them at the moment. Bad news, I need a new Mac!

We tried exporting to both single HDD and single SSD. The export times were identical which tells us that the processing by CPU is the bottleneck. Activity monitor shows that even when the SSD was used, it was loafing along at 6.9MB/s transfer rate and 46 operations per second when it is capable of 40 times that transfer rate and 490 times that many operations per second.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Barefeats have just posted a 'first take' on performance between Aperture and Lightroom.

Lightroom is more efficient with processing raw files while Aperture is quicker importing and exporting raw files

Excellent, I was just searching for a comparison of the current versions. Google returns tons of comparison reviews from 2007 and 2008 - it's tough to find a current one apparently.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

One thing for me to gauge with this is that buying an SSD won't solve my Aperture 3 slowness. Good news considering the prices of them at the moment. Bad news, I need a new Mac!

We tried exporting to both single HDD and single SSD. The export times were identical which tells us that the processing by CPU is the bottleneck. Activity monitor shows that even when the SSD was used, it was loafing along at 6.9MB/s transfer rate and 46 operations per second when it is capable of 40 times that transfer rate and 490 times that many operations per second.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Although it makes sense that exporting is a CPU constrained task, I suspect an SSD makes a dramatic difference in application/library load time and possibly even navigating your library... something they didn't comment on.

lennonmichael

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
I've been a user of Lightroom for over a year and just wanted to try the new Aperture v3. What got me excited about the opening of two great features - making books and slide shows with professional models for stills, video and audio.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
capture one 6

Has anyone tried the newer version of capture 1.... I hear there are many improvements. One of the things I didn't like about Capture in the past was the use of adjustments. C1's adjustments are great, but frustrating for this reason. Unlike Aperture, there was a time lag with C1 from when I use an adjustment to when the image becomes clear on the screen. Also, while using an adjustment in C1 there was pixelating while I was making the adjustment. This is very frustrating, but with Aperture I find that when I use the adjustments there is no time lag and no pixelating. I can see what I am doing immediately with Aperture rather than guessing with C1.

I am wondering if Phase 1 Capture 1 fixed this. I am also wondering if C1 needs more RAM than my mere 4 GB on my 2009 24 inch iMac.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Aperture and Lightroom is for serious photographer right? How about novice? I really like Canon's ZoomBrowser EX it can read photo EXIF very well.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
I'm new to DSLR photography and want a bit more control and editing then iPhoto gives so I'm deciding between these two.

I realize I don't exactly have a powerhouse (iMac in the sig) but why is Aperture so much more sluggish then LR? I really want to like Aperture because the UI is so much better but I can't use many brushes without beachballing and lag while LR goes off with very little hitches in comparison.

I have already turned off faces, let Aperture sit for hours to digest the library, is there anything else I can do?

(Edit - What's helped me is to use smaller brushes and do multiple passes on the picture, rather then use the supersize one that bogs me down)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.