Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
I have suspicions that my wife may be cheating on me. She uses a PC and surfs the net on Firefox. She has months of history on there untouched, is there anyway to read any of the message or emails she has sent or anything through the history?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For christ's sake, just talk to her. WTF is the world coming to where communication goes out the door and people feel the urge to ask for help with their marriage online?

And no, you can't read her e-mails through her history. Get a spy program, one intended for children or over zealous spouses.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I have suspicions that my wife may be cheating on me. She uses a PC and surfs the net on Firefox. She has months of history on there untouched, is there anyway to read any of the message or emails she has sent or anything through the history?

if you suspect it, hire a private detective. well worth it. my wife is a divorce lawyer and sees way too many people try it themselves and just waste time, create anxiety, more stress between the two parties. if she's banging someone, you'll find out within 7-10 days with the right sleuth on the case.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
To answer your question, no you can't read any emails she's sent using the browser history. If she's using webmail you could check to see if she's saved her password in the browser and use it to log into her account. The easiest thing to do though would be to install a keylogger to record her keystrokes.

That being said, jessica. makes a valid point.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If she's hot I'll offer myself as bait.
Mighty nice of you to volunteer. :p

OP, as was suggested above, you could install a Keylogger or hire a PI. Using a keylogger may cause issues down the road. Suggest the PI route.

But before that, wouldn't just talking to her first be a good idea? Who knows, it could be a huge misunderstanding.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
You need to talk to her, buddy. I think rummaging through her private stuff is effed, personally.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
If you can't even talk to her about this than you shouldn't be married. Seriously, there's definitely problems in your marriage because A) you suspect she's cheating on you (not being able to trust each other is very harmful for a marriage) and B) you can't even talk to her about it.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
USA
PM me. I can get you her emails if you want. I will most likely use a program called Team Viewer. Will be able to access her computer remotely and then work my magic. :) Can also install a keylogger for you that will email you once a day with everything she types into her computer.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
PM me. I can get you her emails if you want. I will most likely use a program called Team Viewer. Will be able to access her computer remotely and then work my magic. :) Can also install a keylogger for you that will email you once a day with everything she types into her computer.

Do this. This seems like the best idea, clearly.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
No offense, but opening up your computer to someone on the net whom you do not know is risky. Keep that in mind.

Again, this is not personal against olletsocmit, just a general warning.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Successful relationships are built around open and honest communication.

Violating her privacy and personal space will yield information, thoughts and images in your mind you will never be able to forget or purge, regardless of what you find. This course of action leads to ruin regardless. If you find she is cheating, you will lose your relationship. If she finds you are snooping, you will lose your relationship.

Spying is the action of someone looking to end a relationship, not save it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
This. Seriously, you should just talk to her. Spying on her is a selfish thing to do. Show how much you love her and show how much it means to you and talk.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
...Can also install a keylogger for you that will email you once a day with everything she types into her computer.

Do this. This seems like the best idea, clearly.
...if you want every sordid detail about what she likes about the other guy, what she doesn't like about you. You may be in for a world of hurt and better off not knowing specifics.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Wow, yes. ^ THIS ^ exactly.

I think you need to make that text bigger and more obvious.

I couldn't think of anything worse than spying on her instead of talking to her...

For all we know the OP could be some a total control freak who doesn't let his wife do anything without his say so.

I also can't believe people are offering to actively help.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire

Violating her privacy and personal space will yield information, thoughts and images in your mind you will never be able to forget or purge, regardless of what you find. This course of action leads to ruin regardless. If you find she is cheating, you will lose your relationship. If she finds you are snooping, you will lose your relationship.

'Dawg speaks the truthiest of truths. Pay heed.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
'Talking' doesn't always work. Relationship are built on mutual honesty/trust not one-sided ones. People can be good liars and sometimes need to be caught red handed. OP can either hire a PI, do the keylogger thing or a stakeout.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
'Talking' doesn't always work. Relationship are built on mutual honesty/trust not one-sided ones. People can be good liars and sometimes need to be caught red handed. OP can either hire a PI, do the keylogger thing or a stakeout.

If by talking you mean getting them to admit they are cheating, then yes, people are good liars. But if all you are looking for is a way to prove something and say "aha, caught you", then the relationship is over already anyway.

I said it before, spying is the action of someone seeking to end a relationship, not save it. Talking is not meant to get a confession, it is meant to get past the "act" and uncover the root problems that need to be addressed in a relationship. If it is worth saving, it is worthing doing it in a constructive way, not by joining in with destructive behavior yourself.

The OP needs to decide if he just wants to catch his wife so he can end things, or if he truly wants to salvage his relationship.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah, like cheating on him :rolleyes:

We have no evidence that his suspicions are valid. All we have is that she uses a PC and is surfing the web. Real good basis to think a spouse is cheating. Where is she going exactly?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#

Spot on Dawg.

This is very good advice -- especially your last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.