Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
hi
I have an old G4, think its a powerMac, not sure.
It was given to me.

When i try to boot up, its loading up, but its stuck at "login window starting" screen.

No idea what to do.

Can anyone help?

thankyou

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Try booting into Safe Mode.

Shut down the computer. Press the power button to turn it on. Immediately after hearing the "bong" hold down the shift key until you see the spinning gear.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
tried this (im reading the manual it came with)

shift key did nothing, all i got was apple screen logo, frozen.

command option P R, two boot up sounds as written ok,
(reset PRAM) im trying this now)

yes still not working, frozen at apple logo screen...

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
If you have the install disc you could boot into Disk Utility and do a disk repair. The hard drive may be failing, or a multitude of other problems.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
If you have the install disc you could boot into Disk Utility and do a disk repair. The hard drive may be failing, or a multitude of other problems.

I have cds saying
- apple hardware test
-osx install disc
- software restore(5 discs)
(all official apple discs, but im not sure if i have serial numbers etc, but i have a handful of paperwork with it) bookelets etc.

but i couldnt open the disc tray, when i pressed eject from qwerty keyboard, nothing happens. (looks like there are 2 disc bays on front of G4)

how do i open the disc tray? and what disc shall i insert?

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
thankyou thankyou thankyou

when i tried to install to current drive, the installer was not recognising the main hard drive, only the cd drive disc, so i erased the main drive, and then the installer recognised it, installed osx, it seems to be working now fine.

This osx is so old, it was asking about internet connnections, and the technologies mentioned were not relevant for me.

The mac is OSX 10.1.3
Memory 896MB
Processor PowerPC G4

Would it be ok for me to use "Get mac osx software" menu option? To update?

And i have 5 discs "software restore"
what are these? and do i need to use them now? i dont understand what software it relates to.

I have plugged in my ethernet cable for internet from modem/router, internet works. The browser which is being used is internet explorer:mac 5.1. Could i download a better browser for my version of osx?

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
That's a very old and slow version of OS X. You'll want at least 10.4 (Tiger) while 10.5 (Leopard) is better. The G4 will have to be 867Mhz or faster to run 10.5. You can update your version of OS X to 10.1.5. Here is the link:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=122010

The software restore discs will have very old versions of things like iTunes and iLife. It may be interesting to see what is on there...or maybe not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.